The Phono Cartridge Thread

In my opinion, the M44-7 sounds best when used with its stock N44-7 stylus, not sure about Jico SAS but the ordinary replacement styli sound pretty dull with it.

I believe the N55E stylus compatible with the M44-7 cartridge. That might be a great combo. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The elliptical stylus will make better contact ( follow accurately) than the round stylus ,with respect to tracing HF signals. But however several other factors come into play and you can't guess if it will sound 'better' overall than the round stylus. The HF surely should be better ! But there is more to the sound than just HF . ;)
Hopefully someone has tried both and can give an informed answer !

Last edited:
I believe the N55E stylus compatible with the M44-7 cartridge. That might be a great combo. Please correct me if I am wrong.
In the past I had bought sealed new in box original elliptical Technics Stylus from ebay UK. Being lazy I replaced it and played it without setting up tonearm weight and cartridge alignment. I can literally see the stylus scrapping the record outer grooves. I would not recommend elliptical stylus unless one has two tonearms out of which one is with high compliance cartridge and suitable tonearm to play inner grooves of the record. Not discouraging you to try it, but please be careful.
Conical stylus has minor advantage of less friction noise in comparison with elliptical stylus. These are just little tidbits which audio enthusiasts like regardless of hearing the difference. :)
Regards

In the past I had bought sealed new in box original elliptical Technics Stylus from ebay UK. Being lazy I replaced it and played it without setting up tonearm weight and cartridge alignment. I can literally see the stylus scrapping the record outer grooves. I would not recommend elliptical stylus unless one has two tonearms out of which one is with high compliance cartridge and suitable tonearm to play inner grooves of the record. Not discouraging you to try it, but please be careful.
Conical stylus has minor advantage of less friction noise in comparison with elliptical stylus. These are just little tidbits which audio enthusiasts like regardless of hearing the difference. :)
Regards

Thanks! I am using the M44-7 cart with its own stylus. But was considering other options for stylus also.

Atanu

It's almost time to replace the stylus EPS24CS on my Technics P24 cartridge for the 3rd. time. I find an Audio Technica cart AT92E listed on Amazon.in at almost the same cost of a replacement stylus for my P24.
Will it be worthwhile to replace the whole cartridge with the AT one instead of going in for a new stylus this time. I suppose it will a direct fit with no adjustments required.

I am not sure if the tonearm can be calibrated to compensate for the difference in weight between the two carts. I see a 1-1.5g adjustment on the tonearm, but not sure if the screw at the back can be adjusted (try downloading the SL B21 service manual) . You would need to get a jewellers scale to do this calibration (available on ebay).

Also, the AT92ECD is available for slightly cheaper on grabmore.in
Buy Audio-technica AT 92ECD - Phono Cartridge with cheapest price at Grabmore.in - Online Shopping of Musical Instruments in India.
PS: the stock needle is available for 17 USD shipped here (cheaper if you buy multiple qty)
Technics T4P Cartridge Generic Stylus EPS 23 24 25 28CS | eBay

disclaimer: no affiliation with either seller

M44-7X is essentially an M35. Its stylus will NOT fit the M44-7.
Your should buy the Jico SAS M55 Stylus

Thanks! So, we have the following options to try with our Shure M44-7 cartridge:

JICO SAS M55 stylus
JICO normal M55 stylus
JICO normal M44-7 stylus
JICO SAS M44-7 stylus
Shure N44-7 (original)

The SAS are extremely costly (around $133). Do you know whether the normal JICO styli are good enough to try? Those are around $24 or $29.

Thanks for your advice.
Atanu

Thanks! So, we have the following options to try with our Shure M44-7 cartridge:

JICO SAS M55 stylus
JICO normal M55 stylus
JICO normal M44-7 stylus
JICO SAS M44-7 stylus
Shure N44-7 (original)

1. as I mentioned above, there is no Jico SAS M44-7
2. You forgot the Shure N44-G

The current jico site lists
N44C, N44C improved (are a downgrade from the M44-7 IMO)
N44-7, N44-G, N44-E Improved
N55E, N55E Improved, N55E SAS

You can find EVG versions of the N44-E & N55E on ebay for <20 USD shipped.
The N44E is the one I use the most (N55E has slightly better high end, but not so great at tracking)
M

Any FM having experience with Tonar Replacement Stylus? Any comparison with JICO in terms of performance? There is a talk Tonar sourcing the stylus from Nagaoka. The price of Tonar stylus are attractive with cheaper shipping cost in pickupnaalden site. :licklips:

Turntable needles.

I've said this before - the M55 stylus can be physically fitted to the M44-7 cartridge BUT the stylus rake angle becomes WRONG. I've seen two separate instances and both looked and sounded wrong. Use the stock replacement stylus from Shure - they're very much available.

Also I read somewhere that N 44-7 JICO replacement stylus sounds thinner in terms of bass than the stock N 44-7 from Shure.

For audio enthusiasts with limited budget like me, Shure M 44-7 plays an important role in playing old bollywood mono records and digitizing them. With certain pathetic recordings and Electronically Reprocessed Stereo Records, 44-7 is the best bet.

I am very happy with OEM 44-7 and it also contributes to great digital conversions. The digital FLAC avatar is very sweet sounding and fuller in gain.

Thanks,
Sourav

Also just to add, I have used various Shure carts extensively and have also used Jico replacement styli a lot. In my opinion, whenever you have the OEM Shure stylus available, prefer it over Jico or any other replacement. Having said that, it is close to impossible to get NOS Shure Styli for the older models. In such circumstances, Jico is the answer. For M44-7, the Shure N44-7 is ideal and since it is available new, in the market, why not use it :)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back