The Phono Cartridge Thread

Thanks for the pointer ... this will surely help me save some money...The Jico website charges almost three fold :-( ...I did go though the threads on AK..esp the one on PM3136DE .. the responses seems to be reassuring...

Last edited:
If i were you, I'd send them to someone abroad, and ask them to carry them home for you - I I'm not too sure about it coming through indian customs

Also, you'll need to cut the sides of the stylus to make it fit

Imgur

This is kinda what it will look like .

If i were you, I'd send them to someone abroad, and ask them to carry them home for you - I I'm not too sure about it coming through indian customs

Also, you'll need to cut the sides of the stylus to make it fit

Imgur

This is kinda what it will look like .

Thanks for the heads up...

I have have received several items in past through chennai customs with no issues whatsoever...Just couple of days ago I received my NOS AT-32E LOMC cartridge from japan...:eek:hyeah:..which is far expensive that this stylus...
Today i received a few spares from Jeff (ESL USA) to finish up my current Nak restoration...

I hope many FMs are using Nagaoka MP series cartridges. According to Nagaoka MP series Operation Manual, they specified the operational time as 150 - 200 hours. This seems very low life. FM please comments from your experience how much life you getting from Nagaoka cartridges?

Finally got a chance to lay hands on the N55E EVG stylii from Ebay .

Shure N55E Generic Stylus for Shure M55e Cartridge | eBay

No hassles ...got it within 10 days of order from south korea...
These are indeed JICO ..there is this small ink mark on the cantilever and after auditioning it it does sound same as the standard elliptical stylus from Jico ... very pleased with the overall quality ...Thanks again Greenhorn for pointing to the right seller....will try to get hold of few more before the stock is long gone..:eek:hyeah:

P6040046_zpsd5oyrwbg.jpg

P6040050_zpsy2gnx3s0.jpg

Price is quite reasonable!

Do let us know how it sounds. The seller has stylus for Shure M3D which I have been meaning to buy. And it's cheaper than Jico.

@ Technics Fan is this for your GARRARD?

@RPM..haven't made as assessment yet..My Garrard is very basic model with no headshell...but still accepts two 1/2 in standard mounts and the tone arm is spring balanced...I will have to see how light will the tone be able to track properly...if it is able to track at-least some where between two to three grams or a tad higher i may end up putting a classic 700 on it or something elese with a higher VTF...The key is to determine the lowest VTF that the tone arm can support...
Since I use my Garrard solely to stack shellacs and EPs i don't think i ll fancy a M55e...Currently i am using the shure M55e on my sony PS-636 TT

Price is quite reasonable!

Do let us know how it sounds. The seller has stylus for Shure M3D which I have been meaning to buy. And it's cheaper than Jico.

@jls001 ..I have been listening to it for more than 10 hours and probably past its break in period...I am very pleased with the sound...The sound is very balanced with great dynamics ..detailed mids and a overall deep sound stage just like a what a M55e is supposed to do with a good stylus... I have listened to the N55E elliptical JICO stylus at my friends place on his M55e and i am not able to identify any differences...I may carry this to my friends place and do a side by side testing but as of now this looks like the legit EVG stuff ...

Shure N55E Generic Stylus for Shure M55e Cartridge | eBay

No hassles ...got it within 10 days of order from south korea...
These are indeed JICO ..there is this small ink mark on the cantilever and after auditioning it it does sound same as the standard elliptical stylus from Jico ... very pleased with the overall quality ...Thanks again Greenhorn for pointing to the right seller....will try to get hold of few more before the stock is long gone..:eek:hyeah:

P6040046_zpsd5oyrwbg.jpg

P6040050_zpsy2gnx3s0.jpg

Hello Technics_Fan, will this styli fit into the body of Shure M44-7? Some people say: It can be. Thank you.

Hello Technics_Fan, will this styli fit into the body of Shure M44-7? Some people say: It can be. Thank you.

Personally I haven't had the chance to experience or handle a Shure M44-7 but the looks of it the base looks exactly like the shure M55e. I see that many folks on AK and VE having a very positive experience on using a JICO N55E for the shure M44-7.

@RPM..haven't made as assessment yet..My Garrard is very basic model with no headshell...but still accepts two 1/2 in standard mounts and the tone arm is spring balanced...I will have to see how light will the tone be able to track properly...if it is able to track at-least some where between two to three grams or a tad higher i may end up putting a classic 700 on it or something elese with a higher VTF...The key is to determine the lowest VTF that the tone arm can support...
Since I use my Garrard solely to stack shellacs and EPs i don't think i ll fancy a M55e...Currently i am using the shure M55e on my sony PS-636 TT

The Garrard 1000 has a spring balanced tonearm, predominantly designed for small record players with built in amplification, through ceramic cartridges. In order to install a MM cart, you will require a tonearm that can track at lighter weights like 1 or 2 grams. These generic spring balanced tonearms cannot achieve that. The Garrard 1000 tonearm will track well between 5 and 7 grams. Again, maintaining dead accurate spring tension is also very difficult, if not impossible and hence, tracking at very light weights with these tonearms is not feasible.

FM RPM uses the AT60 which is basically the changer version of the Garrard SP25 Mk1. This model features a counter-balanced tonearm which is much superior to the Garrard 1000's tonearm. My dad used the Shure M75-6s MM cart on this tonearm for many years with great success, tracking at 2 grams. The performance was flawless.

The Garrard 1000 has a spring balanced tonearm, predominantly designed for small record players with built in amplification, through ceramic cartridges. In order to install a MM cart, you will require a tonearm that can track at lighter weights like 1 or 2 grams. These generic spring balanced tonearms cannot achieve that. The Garrard 1000 tonearm will track well between 5 and 7 grams. Again, maintaining dead accurate spring tension is also very difficult, if not impossible and hence, tracking at very light weights with these tonearms is not feasible.

FM RPM uses the AT60 which is basically the changer version of the Garrard SP25 Mk1. This model features a counter-balanced tonearm which is much superior to the Garrard 1000's tonearm. My dad used the Shure M75-6s MM cart on this tonearm for many years with great success, tracking at 2 grams. The performance was flawless.

I am able to comprehend that my Garrard Model 1000 is a very basic model especially the tone arm and achieving a low VTF may not be feasible....For me this changer is more of a convenience ...pretty much use it stack shellacs and some rough shaped EPs...I play my LPs and good sounding EPs on one of the many other turntable setups i have... But for the sake of experimenting I wanted to see how light this rudimentary tone arm can track...:) Ofcourse I have a few tired oldish stylii / test records which be my test subjects / victims :lol:

Last edited:
I am able to comprehend that my Garrard Model 1000 is a very basic model especially the tone arm and achieving a low VTF may not be feasible....For me this changer is more of a convenience ...pretty much use it stack shellacs and some rough shaped EPs...I play my LPs and good sounding EPs on one of the many other turntable setups i have... But for the sake of experimenting I wanted to see how light this rudimentary tone arm can track...:) Ofcourse I have a few tired oldish stylii / test records which be my test subjects / victims :lol:

I tried the same trick on my Garrard RC210 changer when I had it. The tonearm was skipping all over the place, from the start of the record to the end and there was significant distortion on the inner groove tracks. I tried with 2 carts, the M75-6s and the M44-7. Probably an older Shure like the M3D may produce different results.

Recently purchased AT95E cartridge from William Thakker. The price they show includes VAT. For shipping to India, I think VAT is not added. It was a good deal.

Package arrived safely, without any customs duty. :yahoo:

The List -
M44-7(black)x4 (1 NOS USA N44-7, 1 current N44-7,1 Generic M44-7 Stylus 1N44G)
M44-7(brown)x2 (1 N44E Jico Generic, 1 N44C Stylus from ed saunders)
M55E (N55E Jico Generic)
M35Xx2 ( EVG PM 3136DE & Pfanstiehl 4762 Modded)
Pioneer PC110
Shure M70 (Generic M70B & Jico M70E Styluses)
Stanton 680 Mk2 with Pickering XV15 stylus (EVG 4606DEX)
Ortofon OMx2 (2x Generic elliptical stylus)
Audio Technica AT 3400
Linn K9 (Metal bodied AT95E) with AT95E Stylus
Audio Technica AT91
Ortofon FF15E
ADC XLM MkIII
ADC QLM 34 Mk III
Excel ES 70S (conical) & Ronette SM 500/E (.2x.7 E) - Both are Sanyo ST 25/28 Clones
Nagaoka MP10 & Nagaoka Shilton TS-12 (both running MP 110 Stylus)
Shure M75 x5 (M75ED Type 2, M75 Type D, M75EJM Type 2, Encore Me75ED, Realistic R1000EDT)
I went on a collection binge while onsite, and bought up pretty much all the cheap used carts that were sold on ebay :D
The only one i sold was a stanton 500, which I could not get to sing with any of the styluses - always sounded bland, so let it go with a TT.
Also have some interesting headshells (mostly generic technics clones, but one AT LMG6, one ADC, and some others

the ones that i end up using the most (and in decreasing order of use)
1 N44E/N55E both of them sing very well, track very well, and are in all ways better versions of the M44-7
2. Stanton 680 w/ 4606 DEX - this one also sounds very nice - the brush helps with slightly warped records, but not so great a tracker
3. ADC twins (QLM & XLM) - they sound very detailed, but don't use them much as they're the most expensive styluses I have)
4. M35/M75 with 4762DE or 3136DE modded ( this is a franken cart- the styluses are M93/M91, but with a bit of cutting plastic, can fit on most shure carts of that family. They sound better than anything new you can fit on the M75/M35
5. AT91 - great Little cart - sounds almost as good as the M44-7 without the edge.

Last edited:
The List -
M44-7(black)x4 (1 NOS USA N44-7, 1 current N44-7,1 Generic M44-7 Stylus 1N44G)
M44-7(brown)x2 (1 N44E Jico Generic, 1 N44C Stylus from ed saunders)

the ones that i end up using the most (and in decreasing order of use)
1 N44E/N55E both of them sing very well, track very well, and are in all ways better versions of the M44-7

Hi Greenhorn,

I am also a big fan of Shure M 44-7 and planning to use JICO styli for 44-7. My question is did you buy JICO SAS FOR 44-7. I am assuming SAS is different from Generic. How is the sound?

Regards,
Sourav

Hi Greenhorn,

I am also a big fan of Shure M 44-7 and planning to use JICO styli for 44-7. My question is did you buy JICO SAS FOR 44-7. I am assuming SAS is different from Generic. How is the sound?

Regards,
Sourav

Sorry, the Jico SAS is a bit above my affordability, so never ended up buying it. My experience with the high end styli in my collection (ed saunders HE, ADC XLM, Ronette HE) I did not like their sound so much as their base versions , so figured the audiophile sound is not for me.
Also, you need to buy it direct from Jico - My jico's are all generic versions I picked up dirt cheap from other ebay vendors. There is a M55 Jico SAS which should fit - However I have no experience of the same.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back