The Phono Cartridge Thread

While we await the answer, here is another question. Were Bollywood pressings actually cut for ceramic carts? They did sound so good. Play a tune on an old Philips HiQ International system and u will be surprised. Sonotone and EEI 2000 carts fitted on Garrard Changers inside Radiograms had an unbelievable lushness of tone. True these heavy trackers were unkind to records, but then in those days choice was limited for a music lover. Philips made their entry with magnetic cart tt's in 1983 or so with their F7213, equipped with GP401 elliptical ( no, the GA242 did not have a magnetic cart). Cosmic, Sonodyne and other companies also had tt's with mag carts, notably EEI 700, by late seventies/early eighties. Nothwithstanding, me having grown up with ceramics will always have a soft spot for them. Let the music playon, playon, as the song goes.

For anyone looking for a high end Moving Coil cartridge with top class windings, boron cantilever and micro ridge nude diamond stylus, please try out the ones made by Tariq Shafeeque in India. They are brilliant. I bought one and it is very close to high end cartridges like Dynavector etc.

PS: I have no commercial interest with the above person. Suggesting purely for the benefit of folks on HFV. I know what pains one has to go through to get a high end MC cartridge.

For anyone looking for a high end Moving Coil cartridge with top class windings, boron cantilever and micro ridge nude diamond stylus, please try out the ones made by Tariq Shafeeque in India. They are brilliant. I bought one and it is very close to high end cartridges like Dynavector etc.

PS: I have no commercial interest with the above person. Suggesting purely for the benefit of folks on HFV. I know what pains one has to go through to get a high end MC cartridge.
Hi, Can Tariq retip audio technica vm95e elliptical stylus. Is it worth it or better to buy new stylus.

While we await the answer, here is another question. Were Bollywood pressings actually cut for ceramic carts? They did sound so good. Play a tune on an old Philips HiQ International system and u will be surprised. Sonotone and EEI 2000 carts fitted on Garrard Changers inside Radiograms had an unbelievable lushness of tone. True these heavy trackers were unkind to records, but then in those days choice was limited for a music lover. Philips made their entry with magnetic cart tt's in 1983 or so with their F7213, equipped with GP401 elliptical ( no, the GA242 did not have a magnetic cart). Cosmic, Sonodyne and other companies also had tt's with mag carts, notably EEI 700, by late seventies/early eighties. Nothwithstanding, me having grown up with ceramics will always have a soft spot for them. Let the music playon, playon, as the song goes.
Second your opinion. Bollywood oldies sound sweet in philips hiQ international.
Regards

The secret why many Philips turntables and record players sounded good in my opinion is as Philips got the amplifier design and speaker matching absolutely right. They also used good quality cartridges. One of the best ceramics I have experienced is the Philips GP390. I found that it really engaged well with the record grooves without heavy VTF causing it to sound very bullish and enjoyable. It also came with an inbuilt network, enabling use with the MM Phono input on the amp.

GP390-1.jpg

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back