Tidal in india?

How haughty/silly can these companies be that they have so many desirous customers who go such great lengths to get a subscription, but still aren’t willing to enter a large and high growth market. Frankly, what additional fixed costs does a Tidal or Qobuz have to incur to officially launch in India (esp if they soft launch without a media blitzkrieg)?

I for one decided long ago that I am too proud to subscribe unless they officially launch here. I don’t mind missing on lossless/hi-res streaming till then.

How haughty/silly can these companies be that they have so many desirous customers who go such great lengths to get a subscription, but still aren’t willing to enter a large and high growth market. Frankly, what additional fixed costs does a Tidal or Qobuz have to incur to officially launch in India (esp if they soft launch without a media blitzkrieg)?
It depends on rights to regions/countries from the Record Labels/Rights Holders negotiated with the streaming services. The cost of attaining rights to stream music in India may not make business sense for Tidal, as the customer base for HiFi music is minuscule.

It depends on rights to regions/countries from the Record Labels/Rights Holders negotiated with the streaming services. The cost of attaining rights to stream music in India may not make business sense for Tidal, as the customer base for HiFi music is minuscule.
Thanks for providing the business logic, @aeroash. However, costs can be negotiated. Are these exclusive rights? I doubt, as one seems same album on multiple platforms (AM, Spotify etc). Any incremental customer base that wants to stream lossless is only an addition. If Tidal could get rights to stream in say UK, where all the other biggies also have the right to stream, why can’t it happen in India?

Also, how do we conclude on the miniscule customer base for hifi music? What is the hifi equipment industry size in India in comparison to say, Turkey where Tidal has been present? One doesn’t see a hifi user forum like Hifivision based in Turkey, right? Also, as some other premium products/services like Apple, Netflix etc have shown, there’s a latent appetite (and affordability) among Indian consumers for the high end.

Turkey has per capita income 4 times that of India. More disposable income, internet penetration of 70% compared to 43% for india. Other than population and total size of economy it will trounce India.

My guess is that their entire customer base would be few members who belong to hifivision :D. Most users don't even bother between mp3 and lossless.

Last edited:
My guess is that their entire customer base would be few members who belong to hifivision :D. Most users don't even bother between mp3 and lossless.
Which is what Doordarshan would have felt before satellite TV came on with far better video quality. Or the satellite channels thought before OTT platforms brought international content to the shores. Elsewhere too, you have successful gourmet offerings like Godrej Natures Basket being successful. Customers evolve in taste and markets grow when there are appropriate offerings available. The Hifivision members customer base is tip of the iceberg and they are willing to go great lengths to get lossless streaming as this thread suggests. I’d imagine a much larger latent want exists beneath it that can surface once there’s a service available here (say in the region of around Rs 400-500 pm).

Turkey has per capita income 4 times that of India. More disposable income, internet penetration of 70% compared to 43% for india. Other than population and total size of economy it will trounce India.

Per capita can be a misleading indicator to compare. India has a large disparity of income and there’s enough affordability and appetite for connoisseur stuff in the higher income bracket.

Last edited:
Which is what Doordarshan would have felt before satellite TV came on with far better video quality. Or the satellite channels thought before OTT platforms brought international content to the shores. Elsewhere too, you have successful gourmet offerings like Godrej Natures Basket being successful. Customers evolve in taste and markets grow when there are appropriate offerings available. The Hifivision members customer base is tip of the iceberg and they are willing to go great lengths to get lossless streaming as this thread suggests. I’d imagine a much larger latent want exists beneath it that can surface once there’s a service available here (say in the region of around Rs 400-500 pm).

Per capita can be a misleading indicator to compare. India has a large disparity of income and there’s enough affordability and appetite for connoisseur stuff in the higher income bracket.
But its the quantum and subscription threshold that one needs to reach also. With quantity over quality being the general mantra I doubt small players will make an official launch into india unless they are bought out by the biggies. Even Amazon has an issue launching lossless/highrez into india. Internet infra is still not upto scratch comparatively in most of india besides big cities. So Quality of service may take a hit. Not to mention how business friendly(or otherwise) they think out country is in terms of setup and continuity.

Also any such service needs local or proximity hosted servers (caching) to be most effective. That will cost too.

So it just may not be commercially viable for tidal and qobuzz else they would have come in a while go.

Yes the music related copyrights are also a big challenge.

We have apple music lossless and why not just use it?
Been discussed threadbare in many other threads (pun unintended). If you aren’t into PC based music, it’s not an option. Apple Music doesn’t stream lossless through AirPlay from mobile devices irrespective of what they download from the server (and shows in the app). AM also has no native play possible in any streamer.

Airplay does support 24 bit 48 khz music. It is more than enough, don't you think so?
And apple Music doesn't send 24 bit 48 Khz to the streamer?
Please read my message carefully. It’s about AirPlay from mobile devices. AM only transmits AAC files and not ALAC (lossless) over AirPlay from your mobile/tablet. If you want to enjoy lossless/hi-Res music on AM, you have to either listen through wired earphones, USB, or universal AirPlay from MacBook.

Please read my message carefully. It’s about AirPlay from mobile devices. AM only transmits AAC files and not ALAC (lossless) over AirPlay from your mobile/tablet. If you want to enjoy lossless/hi-Res music on AM, you have to either listen through wired earphones, USB, or universal AirPlay from MacBook.
Ah. Didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I was not knowing that

Sachin. Can you please tell me how to use universal Airplay 2 on m1 macbook pro? Is it the regular Airplay or have to do some settings?

Sachin. Can you please tell me how to use universal Airplay 2 on m1 macbook pro? Is it the regular Airplay or have to do some settings?
I don’t have M1 MacBook and my older MacBook won’t have the latest version of MacOS. But I assume the procedure would be the same. Instead of selecting the speaker from the Music app, select it from the icon tray at the top of the main screen.

Yes the procedure is same as sachin says. This is on my year old macbook pro. See the speaker icon that I have clicked to expand. It shows airplay device named Usbridge which is my raspberry pi device

Untitled.jpg

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back