To all Sony TV owners

Donivlapog

I changed the settings of my 65" 2016 model KD-x9300d TV to vivid and "high" on auto local dimming (under advanced settings in options picture ). The result is a huge difference in black levels and it looks close to OLED all of a sudden.
If you guys have a similar model can you check if it may be black crushing (as I suspect it may). Or is the picture just fine and an improvisation from before?

If you check out the X90H review on Ratings, this is one of the "hack" to eke out the max Brightness from that FALD (from700 to 800+).. along with rest of the Brightness settings as High too.

This unfortunately results in some details being lost, especially in White scenes like in Snow etc, but is nice for HDR specifically..

I changed the settings of my 65" 2016 model KD-x9300d TV to vivid and "high" on auto local dimming (under advanced settings in options picture ). The result is a huge difference in black levels and it looks close to OLED all of a sudden.
If you guys have a similar model can you check if it may be black crushing (as I suspect it may). Or is the picture just fine and an improvisation from before?

Wow, you arrived at the setting too fast.. :D

Vivid usually looks good for a day or 2 and issues with colour accuracy and unnatural brightness begin to show in long run. There are people who use it as daily drive but I guess none here. If you are able to live with it for a week, you can keep it as default setting.

Wow, you arrived at the setting too fast.. :D

Vivid usually looks good for a day or 2 and issues with colour accuracy and unnatural brightness begin to show in long run. There are people who use it as daily drive but I guess none here. If you are able to live with it for a week, you can keep it as default setting.
The point is not just vivid. But the local dimming set to high in vivid. To my eyes it looks much better and almost an OLED. But it may crush blacks(greys). As too much black levels do not show some stuff that can be seen in normal default settings.

My children played PS4 pro games for about an hour (mid term tests season and so I have restricted to just an hour of play) and they found this setting not soothing. So changed the setting back to original TV default games mode as they would plunge into action from the day after tomorrow. The last of us 2 is currently their favourite game as they claim "Appa zombies real life la vandha nanga survive panradhukku practice panrom!!" meaning we are practicing if zombies come in real life! :) But some colourful games are out there where I just imagine had they been given an OLED, they'd be hugely immersed than now.

Custom setting has the highest brightness if all settings done correct 1000+ nits... next is vivid with 900nits .. next standard 800 nits

I am little old fashioned in TV settings - I go and try out all the things that are there to find an optimal experience suiting my eyes. There are recommended settings for X800H on RTINGS, they didn't give me the best pic quality that I was looking for, hence, couple of hit and try methods to find the right balance. I still need to see if there are any settings for color banding, else these settings going to last the lifetime of TV :)

The TV has not switched on since yesterday evening. My son recalls the TV being switched off while a software update was underway. Have opened a ticket at Sony. How swiftly they act will be known.

There might be some option to boot from usb with downloaded firmware ? Anyway engineer will come and fix so no harm trying the usb boot ...
My X90H updated and I think also restarted during the update. Was it manually powered off during update which corrupted the firmware ?

There might be some option to boot from usb with downloaded firmware ? Anyway engineer will come and fix so no harm trying the usb boot ...
My X90H updated and I think also restarted during the update. Was it manually powered off during update which corrupted the firmware ?
My parents and wife watch the hall TV and it most likely could be the thing as reported by my son. Today they are expected. Let me hope it turns out well.

The engineer came and he said it is likely a PCB fault. Will have to get the TV opened tomorrow and part changed. My dad will have to watch the match from the 65" TV in my room. Or until they repair it, it would have to be my 32" LG TV in the hall used as a computer monitor. Something to watch the match with.

Did he say why could there be a PCB fault on such a new TV.
He is surprised too. He said the soonest a TV had a fault of this magnitude was after 2 years of run. A month since purchase is really bizzare according to him. Under such circumstances it is important to remain calm. Which is why I am not trying to explore how this could happen to me.

Last edited:
Still waiting for their parts to repair the TV. My wife is really upset i chose a tv over vacation. 8000h 2.11 lakhs has given me a headache more than a family television entertainment. A trip to Maldieves or Dubai maybe a better deal. All for nothing. Let's see how long time it takes further.

The TV has not switched on since yesterday evening. My son recalls the TV being switched off while a software update was underway. Have opened a ticket at Sony. How swiftly they act will be known.

Does the tv show the 4 dots android logo and just post that restarts again and again or it it not booting at all?
The first problem just needs a hard reset.. I have done it in the past and it would work post that..

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back