Top end Home theater system

SharadChadha

Hi Guys,

I am from Delhi and looking forward to buy a top end home theater system. I have seen system from JBL, especially ES100 and Studio 190, but before I decide for any one I need to check out some more options. I have a budget of say something around 3-4 Lakhs including the screen and projector and the room size is around 600-800 square feet. Since the room is rectangular in shape, it might require two pairs of surround speakers.

My main choice for the same is Movies but i do want the option for music for parties to be kept open from the same system. Thus i am looking for excellent voice quality with good quality bass as well.

Can you guide me some thing good to compare it with ES100?

Go for THX Certified Speakers since you are more intented in Movies. There are many THX certified speakers

Hello and welcome to HFV. As to any new joiner, we'd recommend you to search in the Home theater section of the forum to get an idea. Don't chose anything in a hurry. Take your time, audition as much as possible.
For the audio part, I trust you are looking at a 7.2 - 9.2 channel receiver and the speakers. Ill let others comment on the projector and video part.
Can you let us know some more details. Like do you have a dvd/blu-ray player already or do you want to buy one in the budget?

You can split your budget and allocate an amount to each component.
Like 50 - 75k for the receiver
1.5 - 2 lk for the speakers+subwoofer
25k for the cables
1 - 1.5 lk for the projector + screen

Dont look at satellite speaker packages.
Monitor Audio Silver RX6 AV12 is one which will do good for music as well.
Others include Dali Ikon 5.1, B&W 685 Theatre, Tannoy Revolution Signature etc.
Search in the forum for dealers and then call and arrange for auditions. But its not yet time to decide on anything until you do some research and come back. Enjoy the journey :)

I think you would need to increase your budget considerably to get the top end. But I think even in this budget you can do reasonably better than JBL.

Projector - keep 1 lakh for decent proj.
Room setup/ treatment - I was quote about 15L by a dealer, but you may not need that elaborate room treatment. But a must if you are aiming at top end home theater.
AVR (separates recommended here) - 70k to start with.

Speakers - sky is the limit but keep 1L for front two for decent floor standards.
Subwoofer (4 recommended but at least 2 for good HT system) - 1L x 2
Rest of 5 speakers (assuming you are going for 7.2) - about 1L to 2L depending on what you choose.

I would recommend going for 11.4 instead of 7.2 though.

I forgot screen dalite etc - 50k to 1L
cabling and fitting charges - can vary a LOT.
Projector lifts. Vinay can guide you.

Then you would need a decent source for movies. Oppo BD93 is good for spinning br and dvds. It may also do for a while for music. But for music you should go for a dedicated source like cdp/ dac/ stereo pre+power amps.

Is this a dedicated room for home theater or is this a living room? You can get in touch with Lakozy (ashishkesarwani) - they should be able to suggest you better systems in your budget, and also for top-end.
You would need to audition a lot before settling on a setup.

hi sharad
there are a lot of products out there and it can be daunting / confusing at first but there are few brands and you can narrow down to and audition and then take it from there. there are definitely better speakers out there than the jbl es series. it all depends on what you want to spend more on. do you want to concentrate more on the visuals of it or the sound or equally on both. are you looking for a flat screen or a projector. imo once you decide on that you will have the remainder of your budget for the surround sound. i dont have much of an idea on projectors but for music systems, just for an initial idea you can walk into a monitor audio outlet and take a listen to their bronze series and their silver series. it will give you a good idea of the difference in two levels of speakers at varying prices. imo since you should be including a sub you will not need front floorstanders - bookshelves will suffice. this isnt going to be a one day solution if you want to take the correct decision so a little patience should be in order:)

For a movie system you'll need a sub or two (multiple subs aren't louder, just give you more consistent bass throughout the room). If you're going to use subwoofers anyway, then it is a waste to get large floorstanding speakers like the ES100, since you'll never make use of their low frequency extension (the subwoofers will reproduce those same frequencies better).

In which case, you should instead consider getting matching bookshelf speakers all the way around. For example, five or seven JBL ES20 or ES30 speakers will give you a consistent and seamless ring of sound around the listening area. Sound effects will maintain the same tonal qualities when moving front to back or left to right.

Another candidate, just as good sounding as the ES30 but 40% cheaper, is the Infinity Primus P163BK. Wide dispersion and terrific imaging (even off-axis).

Hi Sharad,
You should look at this configuration for your HT System:
Projection: Mitsuibishi HC 4000 with a Motorised or Fixed Frame Screen (Option of Anamorphic as well as 16:9 Format)
Amplification: NAD T747C
Speakers: Fronts: PSB Image T6, Center: PSB Image C5, Surrounds: PSB Image S5 (2 Pairs) or you could go in for a single pair of these bi-polar speakers and if you have false ceiling then you could also select PSB Custom Installation CW260 Speakers for the other pair of surrounds.
For Subwoofer complete the speaker package with a PSB Subseries 300 sub.
For Source you can either go in with an Oppo BDP -93 Region Free player or a Dune HD Max. Now all the above goods should be around a budget of 4 L.

Hi Guys,

I am from Delhi and looking forward to buy a top end home theater system. I have seen system from JBL, especially ES100 and Studio 190, but before I decide for any one I need to check out some more options. I have a budget of say something around 3-4 Lakhs including the screen and projector and the room size is around 600-800 square feet. Since the room is rectangular in shape, it might require two pairs of surround speakers.

My main choice for the same is Movies but i do want the option for music for parties to be kept open from the same system. Thus i am looking for excellent voice quality with good quality bass as well.

Can you guide me some thing good to compare it with ES100?

Sir,

If I may suggest;

a]

Panasonic Projector

b]

Screen - Selecting the Right Screen

c]

Speakers - 5.1 ONLY P.A. [I suggest Turbosound]

Product | NuQ-12 | Turbosound
Front

Product | NuQ-8DP | Turbosound
Rear

Product | TSW-218 | Turbosound
Higher Budget
Product | M18 | Turbosound
Sub

Crown Amps
Marantz / Denon Processor - Pure Pre - 5 XLR Outs

Panasonic Blue Ray Player

You will have a killer set up !!

Your room is big & this will throw a huge sound stage - tremendous spl !!

Hi Sharad,
You should look at this configuration for your HT System:
Projection: Mitsuibishi HC 4000 with a Motorised or Fixed Frame Screen (Option of Anamorphic as well as 16:9 Format)
Amplification: NAD T747C
Speakers: Fronts: PSB Image T6, Center: PSB Image C5, Surrounds: PSB Image S5 (2 Pairs) or you could go in for a single pair of these bi-polar speakers and if you have false ceiling then you could also select PSB Custom Installation CW260 Speakers for the other pair of surrounds.
For Subwoofer complete the speaker package with a PSB Subseries 300 sub.
For Source you can either go in with an Oppo BDP -93 Region Free player or a Dune HD Max. Now all the above goods should be around a budget of 4 L.
I agree with you on this. A top end AV system will set you back by Rs. 9-10 lacs. I happened to audition the setup mentioned by you at Lakozy, probably the only showroom in NCR for NAD/PSB systems. I was impressed and satisfied with the sound quality of the setup. But again the price my friend whom I accompanied paid was little over Rs. 10 lacs, that covered NAD AVR and amplifier, PSB speakers projector, cables, consultancy and installation.

I agree with you on this. A top end AV system will set you back by Rs. 9-10 lacs. I happened to audition the setup mentioned by you at Lakozy, probably the only showroom in NCR for NAD/PSB systems. I was impressed and satisfied with the sound quality of the setup. But again the price my friend whom I accompanied paid was little over Rs. 10 lacs, that covered NAD AVR and amplifier, PSB speakers projector, cables, consultancy and installation.

he must have purchased some different stuff than the one quoted by Ashish here, otherwise the difference is too large.

Yes Kilpsh THX Speakers are certified Movie Speakers. If I have this Budget I will definitely go for These...

Where these Turbosound Speakers available. Any place to audition

In Mumbai for sure;
I do not know where in Chennai - Just google around.
I have suggested the models too.
It is a super solution & not too expensive.
It will put the fright of God in you - when you watch movies - no finess, but what tremendous power - it shakes you... Trust me !

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back