Tripath TA2022 based class T 100+100W DIY stereo amp

I didnt see any volume knob in the pic ... is it Classified - Top Secret? Like the Stealth Fighter Plane? :eek:hyeah:

My bad, I saw Omishra's post while I was at work but replied much later from my phone - forgot in the meanwhile:).

Few things I could say about this layout is -

1. Low level signal is away at opposite corner of main power supply.
  2. Signal paths are not crossing noisy power lines.
  3. Toroidal transformer, Controller, warning buzzer and speaker protection relay are separated from amp board using metal sheet. See two compartments.
So you finally separated the PS unit from the amp. :) Looks organized and very neat now.

So how do you turn up/down the volume?

--G0bble
From the input source. :)

@omishra:
Why is that green electrical tape stuck on Caps?
These caps have metal body which is conductive and height is very near to touch enclosure. I did not measure connectivity between cap leads and its body but tape stuck for precaution. Nothing else.
Also one circle is made around them to give better mechanical strength as all are having snap-in leads

Brilliant example by Om mishra!
Limitations cant beat us even in india.
casing + trafo took pretty good amounts
Low cost classy enclosure is a wanted item for all .

casing + trafo took pretty good amounts
Low cost classy enclosure is a wanted item for all .

Hi Thanks. That trafo is from Miracle and you know their costing :)
Enclosure is 4.5K when I purchased in 2006. IMO for me they are not low cost.

It cost me like this -

USD 40 for amp1 kit
Rs 3.0K for toroidal transformer
Rs 4.5K for cabinet
Rs 2.5K for PS/wires/connectors/DIY control circuit.
Total approx Rs ~12K

That is awesome value, if I might say so. Congratulations omishra!
Also, did you order the cabinet or was it built to order locally? It has a beautiful retro-minimalist aesthetic.

One more thing - that aluminum power switch and all hole are crafted out by me. Aluminum switch knob is cut from bolt of window latch and hand polished.

I tip my hat off to you sir, for this sheer ingenuity! Very innovative approach.:clapping:

Great DIY build sir. I too am looking to do a DIY build of the TK2050 mono amp sold by arjen on eBay. Just wanted your inputs on what power supply should be procured for this build?

Link to data sheet http://www.data.helderhifi.com/TK2050_info_file .pdf

Link to product
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-OF-MKI..._HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3a78ae2107

Read a few posts on diyaudio and noticed a few user using a single 24v 5A smps to run both the boards.

I have a few questions
1) does it make sense power the boards using a smps for each board?
2) could a toroid transformer be used to power both the boards?

I'm a newbie to DIY and have no knowledge in electronics, soldering etc...

Looking for your valuable inputs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Raking up a very old thread as I need help.
I am using the TA 2022 amp since about 2 years.
Recently, sound stopped coming from the left channel. I interchanged the source L & R, swapped the speakers R with L and checked whatever possible.
One peculiar observation is that when I touch the left channel input path with my finger, I can hear a loud humming in the speaker, same as what happens with the right channel. It means, noise signal is getting amplified even in the left channel. But then, why sound is not getting amplified?
@Mishraji: Can you help me out?

Where you touch exactly? Because if it senses at certain point then fault is before it. Check something at rca input wire soldering or clogged input. My amp completed 10 years now., June2005 till date.

Last edited:
I even tried by connecting the rca interconnect to the amp and then touched the other end of the rca cable. Still the same result.
I am also perplexed by this.
Is it possible that when I connect an audio signal, the left channel goes into some sort of protection mode?

May be problem with your TA 2022 chip itself. Try to get replacement. But this could be last resort before you exhaust all other option for problem.

Because in case of protection mode it gives 2.5V on output which could be sensed by DC cutoff relay. I think most circuit board use single relay. So it should switch off both channel.

@Anuragn
If it's not too much trouble you could try checking/changing/swapping the left channel's input DC-blocking cap...

can't be too certain though...

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back