Tube amplifiers and how to select the right speaker for them

Nice article though a bit technical, so I will re read it. A key takeaway is the author's suggestion-no recommendation to audition speakers and amps. I cant stress the importance of this too much, though in our environment it's not easy.

Excellent article! The crux of the entire read is that impedance or sensitivity alone doesn't tell us whether a speaker is suited to a tube amp or not. What matters is the phase angle and a lack of sudden dips or spikes in impedance.

If one plans to pair a speaker with tubes, one has to make sure that the phase angle is resistive i.e. zero or inductive i.e. positive. Capacitive or negative phase angles are hard for a tube amplifier to work with.

The little piece at the end about current dumping vs current limiting solid state amps was highly illuminating. I had no idea that there's such a massive distinction in solid states simply based on topology.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back