Turntable

moktan

I am creating this thread to thank this wonderful forum for introducing me to some great people.
I have always longed to listen to a turntable. The most abiding memories of music was what I listened to on a uncle's HMV gramaphone and a TT that a friend loaned when I was in college.
However whenever I read the terminology and the jargon that populated the talk in forums I was apprehensive. I could never ever imagine doing the kind of things that those finicky turntable owners were doing to get music out of their equipments.
However I remember my good friend Gobble speaking effusively about turntables.
Private messages to Dr. Bass and Stevieboy made me more comfortable and suddenly it didn't seem so daunting.
Then I got in touch with Mr Kuruvilla Jacob and that changed forever the way I listened to music.
But it wasn't after much agonising moments. The first TT he offered me (because I wanted something with the convenience of a fully automatic player) was the Onkyo CP1057F. Not many have heard about this direct drive. But exchanging private messages with very satisfied Onkyo owners in other forums made me realize that this was indeed a very special player.
Mr Sridhar kindly allowed me to buy the phono in two easy instalments.
But somehow this player was never meant to be mine.
Then Mr Jacob gave me some options out of which this Thorens was seemed the best for its pedigree, its simplicity and most importantly for its music playing abilities as attested by Mr Jacob.
Finally it arrived.
The music from it was a revelation. Still there were some more to be learnt. Initially I put to much weight and the rumble was prominent. Mr Jacob gave me phone tutorials on what had to be done. Youtube also helped. The rumble was gone. The music was good. As I have mentioned earlier rock was a revelation. The bass was tight and controlled.
However I wanted to improve the cosmetics so went ahead with the plinth cabinet and the tone arm board build. In spite of protestations from Mr Jacob who cautioned me against doing something which I had never done before. Reubensm and Joshua were especially kind with their immense knowledge. So finally the cabinet was ready and after spending a greater part of the afternoon, my carpenter and me finally got the platter spinning smoothly. Then we found there was no sound from one channel but an almighty hiss. We had used a drill to saw the tone arm out of its original board. The drilled had messed up the wires inside the RCA cord. Fixing that got rid of the hum. But still no sound from one channel. Mr Jacob proffered advice over the phone. Joshua sent me detailed emails and diagrams.
Finally the problem was rectified and here I am listening to blissful music.
Since I have not listened to much great gear my opinion about sound will have to be taken with a pinch of salt. But there are two irrefutable conclusions. The TT sounds better than my marantz 6002 cd player and the musica DAC. And secondly this whole package of experience with the TT makes me want to listen to music more. And lastly my wife who doesn't care about sound swears that the 'record player' sounds very good.

Last edited:
Congrats, moktan.

That's indeed a fine belt drive you got there.

I didn't know you'd move so fast on the plinth. Otherwise I would have advised you cautions to be taken while transplanting the arm. But you have taken the plunge into the deep end of the pool, and what a baptism it is:)

The next order of business is to get yourself some fine jazz records.

Hey Moktan - Very well done. And yes some photos please.

Some very knowledgeable people with TTs you have mentioned.

Cheers and happy listening!

Congrats, moktan.

That's indeed a fine belt drive you got there.

I didn't know you'd move so fast on the plinth. Otherwise I would have advised you cautions to be taken while transplanting the arm. But you have taken the plunge into the deep end of the pool, and what a baptism it is:)

The next order of business is to get yourself some fine jazz records.
I know things happened fast. But it was reassuring to have very knowledgeable and helpful folks like yourself on the other end should things go wrong.
Mr Jacob sent me some records, about 10 of them. A double LP collection- THE BEST OF THE BIG BANDS is quite special. It has Count Basie, Duke Ellington. Gene Krupa and the other cats. Some more records were bought from forum member Hrtk. Thad Jones "Consummation", Brubeck etc.
I tried to test order something from Discogs but had to postpone those purchases because I found wide discrepancy in the shipping charges quoted by various vendors in Europe. Forum member Hiten has kindly consented to be on the look out. I guess the records will happen over time.

The TT looks very neat as well as gorgeous and Thorens are famous for musicality. But the real enjoyment becomes visible, when the curtains are off the window and beautiful hilly landscape is in front of you. Relaxing on the beautiful sofa and enjoying the music with the backdrop of nature. Treat to both eyes and ears.
This is a perfect holiday destination for city dwellers like us.

But the real enjoyment becomes visible, when the curtains are off the window and beautiful hilly landscape is in front of you.

I concur, awesome scenic vista and a superb location to listen to music. I can literally feel the fresh mountain breeze wafting through the window. Here in Hyderabad where it is 41.5 C today, I am listening to music with breeze from an AC instead. Where is this spot?
Cheers,
Sid

Your setup combined with the scenic view hit a full high :licklips: in my in-built drool-o-meter. Where are you located? The view outside your window is fabulous

The TT looks very neat as well as gorgeous and Thorens are famous for musicality. But the real enjoyment becomes visible, when the curtains are off the window and beautiful hilly landscape is in front of you. Relaxing on the beautiful sofa and enjoying the music with the backdrop of nature. Treat to both eyes and ears.
This is a perfect holiday destination for city dwellers like us.

Exactly...I was admiring the solid looks of the TT till I saw whats outside your window! I think you are living every audiophile's dream...you got some single malt??? :eek:hyeah:

Listening to Jazz on a turntable in a beautiful place, Nice ! :)
Which tonearm and cartridge are you using ?
Regards

Last edited:
Moktan - Did you get a chance to meet with Kuruvila Jacob at his lovely Bungalow Kottayam? He has got a lovely Vinyl bungalow. A beautiful house with rubber plantation all around and its a dream location for Vinyl and music lovers.

Dear Moktan,

You got a lovely set-up and surroundings and impressive looking TT with the new plinth. It is good to know that you are loving it.

There is a sizable supply of vinyls available in the genre of your choice. Talk to a few people who have such a collection, and you can also slowly build up.

Best wishes for your trouble free vinyl listening in the future.

Regards

PS: Kuruvilla Jacob once visited my place in Kolkata. He is a serious music lover. I enjoyed his company thoroughly.

Thanks all.
Lifewater has recognised it correctly.
I live in Kalimpong, Darjeeling.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back