Upcoming Indian Vinyl LP Record Releases

When it comes to Bollywood, original cds are of far better quality that what is available for streaming.

Most of 90s Bollywood songs do not have great mastering to begin with. Most of them suffer from the loudness war.

Hit songs are available in TIDAL, they are found playlists. Today I played 'Mushkil bada yeh pyaar hai - Gupt' on TIDAL, sounds better then LP.
Other new releases like maine pyar kiya, Jism plays awesome on records, better then what I hear from cassettes or TIDAL.

Anyway I am willing to sell both gupt and rangeela for 1K each, it may sound better on others setup and I recover some of my losses. If anyone interested, pls ping me, these have less then 10 mins playtime and will ship in same box NGH sent me in.

Anyone bought Parinda LP? How is the sound quality?

I had TIPS ACD of Parinda (that was with Dialogues) sounds crap. BUT I have song "Tumse Milke" in compilation ACD (Tips) sounds awesome. Now it all depends from which source LP is pressed?

Today I was listing to Khal Nayak cassette and sound awesome, one of few cassette which has good SQ released from TIPS. And label on cassette cover says 'From Original Film Soundtrack'

Not sure what is source of new LP release, if TIPS had Original Film Soundtrack can we expect LP also is sourced from it?

No doubt Khalnayak was best recording on cassette that time, but note... that has short version of songs (Specially Khalnayak Hai Tu, CD has full version with complete background score).
"From the original film soundtrack" is nothing, that's common for CD and cassettes and this term was used to show it has original tracks, not versions.

"From the original film soundtrack" is nothing, that's common for CD and cassettes and this term was used to show it has original tracks, not versions.

Yes. And also that in the 40's and 50's many of the LPs were NOT from the original soundtrack. The songs were sung again for the vinyl release. An interesting case was the soundtrack of Anokha Pyar (1948), where the movie and vinyl versions were sung by different singers. I believe that this was due to the inavailability of the original singers for re-recording.

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi

May be better then CDs but I never used CD, did not find need when I stream via TIDAL + ROON.
With Vinyl, I expect bolder and fuller sound but these LP's are more or less flat.
May I know your turntable system?
Is it related to the cartridge you are using.
I used shure m97xe,at 440 mlb and lastly nagaoka mp10.
And I really liked the vocals.
There was no ear fatigue.I find voice of alaka yadnik shril on cd.
This was mellowed down on LP.
At 440 mlb is the cartridge which tends to bring out highs,but it was never too forward sounding as on cd.

I can swap cartridges easily, and I do have a bunch of them. The one that works best with these LPs is Denon DL-103 (MC).

Also, I am not sure how Tidal could sound better than the original release, given that no higher resolution master exists for most of the Hindi music from 90's and before. It could be the case of @gururanga 's DAC being a better match to his system than the other analog sources. Moving to an MC cart may help make these harsher newer pressings sound better. The older vinyl pressings are so smooth. End of the day, we should just go by whatever works for each one of us. So if that happen to be Tidal, so be it. It would be so nice if the most convenient option (streaming) is also the best sounding :) If that happened to me, I would quickly dump all other sources. Unfortunately, not much of the content on LPs and CDs that I have accumulated during the past 30 years is even available online in any quality, forget getting good quality. So I am stuck with the good old players playing physical media for rest of my life :)

Regards,
Sharad

I did try many cartridge and finally settled 'denon dl 301' it is an MC cartridge but worked awesome with 'audio technica lp120' which is my turntable. I am big fan of denon cartridges, before 301, was using 110 high voltage MC cartridge.

Also I have done many mods on LP120, Better isolation, Better damping, Preamp removal, New cables for tonearm, Fixed Anti-skate, etc.
With all these mods it must better sounding turntable now. Amp/Dac is devialet and speakers are harbeth

@smedhavi may be correct, on my system streaming may be better option. But I love playing with physical media then streaming, it more involving and better connected to music then streaming.

I had guessed that you have good DAC, which was designed to match well with the amp and rest of the system :)

@smedhavi may be correct, on my system streaming may be better option. But I love playing with physical media then streaming, it more involving and better connected to music then streaming.
I would recommend that you stick with the original analog vinyl pressings for Indian music, and buy well mastered Jazz recordings. Tidal may be good enough for everything else. Denon DL 301 is a very sensitive cartridge. A peak in the upper-mids highlight the harshness of the latest pressings from poor quality digital masters. The heavy & low compliance DL 103 is forgiving and tolerant (but not as detailed). It has a dip in the upper-mids which helps in this case (and also complements full-range drivers).

I wanted to try DL 103, but it has hard stylus which is not flexible, which requires heavy tonearm to keep it stable and sound good. The stock tonearm with LP120 would not be good enough. Right now I am very happy with my turntable, when I change for heaver tonearm then buy DL-103.

Yes, I have added weights on the headshell, as well as sub-weight on the other end of the arm. I also need the sub-weight for the rather heavy DL-102 too.

Hello,
I am a new member and I am really excited to join this group where folks talk about Bollywood music, especially LPs. Although I grew up in 1970 with Bollywood music, with LPs but I do no longer have those records. I have in the recent past bought a Clearaudio entry level turntable and have been enjoying vinyl warm sound since then. I buy mostly used vinyls from local retail outlets and sometimes get those re-mastered new issues which have very good reviews. However they are all Western music. It's very difficult to get good used Bollywood vinyls without paying a fortune for it. I tried buying a few from e-bay but it didn't work out. It's real unfortunate that Bollywood music being so reach in musicality is not available in Vinyl or in any high-resolution format like SACD/DSD/DVD-A. So I was excited to see the Saregama initiative, coming out with these vinyls in the last couple of years. I do understand the sound quality of these albums are questionable but some of these re-issues are very good like 1942 a Love Story, Maachis, Dilwale Dulhaniya etc. I will be visiting Calcutta very shortly and have plans to buy 5-6 Saregama Vinyls (Bollywood Film songs) from a local store or from Amazon. Could you guys suggest a couple of Bollywood film vinyls/albums that you really liked?
Also in general how is the high-end audio market in India? Is there a market for audio separates, aftermarket cables (power, interconnect, etc), AC products like power conditioners etc etc in India?
Thanks.
Indranil

Hello,
I am a new member and I am really excited to join this group where folks talk about Bollywood music, especially LPs. Although I grew up in 1970 with Bollywood music, with LPs but I do no longer have those records. I have in the recent past bought a Clearaudio entry level turntable and have been enjoying vinyl warm sound since then. I buy mostly used vinyls from local retail outlets and sometimes get those re-mastered new issues which have very good reviews. However they are all Western music. It's very difficult to get good used Bollywood vinyls without paying a fortune for it. I tried buying a few from e-bay but it didn't work out. It's real unfortunate that Bollywood music being so reach in musicality is not available in Vinyl or in any high-resolution format like SACD/DSD/DVD-A. So I was excited to see the Saregama initiative, coming out with these vinyls in the last couple of years. I do understand the sound quality of these albums are questionable but some of these re-issues are very good like 1942 a Love Story, Maachis, Dilwale Dulhaniya etc. I will be visiting Calcutta very shortly and have plans to buy 5-6 Saregama Vinyls (Bollywood Film songs) from a local store or from Amazon. Could you guys suggest a couple of Bollywood film vinyls/albums that you really liked?
Also in general how is the high-end audio market in India? Is there a market for audio separates, aftermarket cables (power, interconnect, etc), AC products like power conditioners etc etc in India?
Thanks.
Indranil
Indranil - I am building my collection of LPs. mostly i purchase used LPs hunting to find new places.
New ones I purchased "AR Raham - The Chosen One" which was specially done for HIFIvision members. The recording is awesome.
https://ngh.co.in/a-r-rahman-the-choosen-ones-8907011105750-vinyl-record-lp
I also purchased Guru.

My next purchase will be Lagaan and Dil Se.

Back