UPS for My receiver and other gadgets

manny9

Hi All, I need a suggestion from you all. I have the following equipment in my living room,

- Samsung UA40B7000 40 inches LED TV
- Samsung Sound Bar without Woofer
- Samsung DVD Player
- Onkyo HT-S6200 HT with AV Receiver : HT-R670 and Powered Subwoofer : SKW-770 connected to power supply
- Tata Sky+ HD DVR
- Sony PS3
- Popcorn Hour A210
- Sennheiser Wireless RS 130 headphones

All these equipment's are connected to power supply via V-Guard voltage stabilizer and Belkin surge protector.

Here's my problem : As you all know Bangalore has very frequent power outage. The apartment I live in has DG backup. But the problem is when the main power goes off the DG takes 2-3 min to start. The geniuses who built this apartment has given DG power to all outlets in the house so if someone switch on the Geezer or AC the power trips while on DG. Also if the load is more on the DG it trips. So sometime the power trips very frequently while on DG. Though I have voltage stabilizer and surge protector to soften the initial blow when the power comes I am really worried that my gadgets are in trouble.

I was thinking of having a UPS since I need backup only for 2-3 min till the DG kicks in and if it trips. When the DG trips it automatically come back in 2-3 min. So i really don't need a expensive inverter with hours of backup. All i need is at the most 5 min power backup.

Can you please suggest me something. Appreciate all your help....thanks in advance.

Moderator: Please move this thread if it doesn't belong here...thank you....

I am also looking for something similar, after a little digging found out that APC has UPS with Pure Sinewave output. The range is called Smart UPS. As per my power requirements I might be getting a APC SUA1500. This model has a output of 980 Watts / 1500 VA.

The cost of the APC SUA 1500 is around 15k.

We will have to calculate your power consumption, not sure about the TATA DVR and the AVR.

I too have almost similar setup and similar problem. In my case DG kick-in within 30-60 seconds. Need for the UPS arise only during this switch-over period or as OP mentioned if someone at home switch on Washing machine or heater.

We could even think of a group buy :yahoo:

Thanks guys, yeah group buy is definitely an option. So how to i calculate the overall power need? Do i have to add up operating power consumption and see if the UPS supports that total watts? Sorry its a very basic question...

Also i read in some other thread that having any type of UPS (Sine, Square) is not good for AVR and other equipment. Is that true?

Thanks guys, yeah group buy is definitely an option. So how to i calculate the overall power need? Do i have to add up operating power consumption and see if the UPS supports that total watts? Sorry its a very basic question...

Also i read in some other thread that having any type of UPS (Sine, Square) is not good for AVR and other equipment. Is that true?

Yes, Sine Wave is recommended and does not harm the equipment.

Calculating power requirements generally is difficult as nothing runs at maximum.

PS3 Fat - while gaming 160-190W/ PS3 Slim - 100W
42" LG 5700 3D TV uses 80-100W
Most DVD players less than 30W

Power Consumption of AVR depends on the volume. I currently don't own one so not sure how much it will take. Should get my hands on a Denon 1912 soon :D

Big news now is that the most power hungry equipment in your house after your fridge and microwave is the Cable TV DVRs. They are designed with extremely cheap and power inefficient components to keep the prices down. I have a Airtel HD DVR but I have not checked its power consumption.

Pure sinewave online is the best way to go.

Yes, the power is always provided by the battery in the online UPS, however they have a huge con! Since the power is always given by the battery the battery tends to have a much lower life. Also most online UPS cost a small fortune! I am talking about 50k+!

Last edited:
Thanks @countrock....

50K is way out of my budget, is there any other options available? or i have to live with this problem? Anyone using similar setup?

You can also get 1500va pure sine wave inverters under 30k budget.

The problem with those inverters is that these is a lag time between switch-overs. The ones with instant switch-over are all under 1000VA I believe.

You can get the APC Smart Series UPS 1500VA for under 15k, the 2200VA for under 20k

Hi!

I have been using an APC SUA 1500 for almost a year now. It is perfect for most HT. I strongly recommend the same. I have put the following load on it:

NAD C160 , NAD C214, NAD T765, Oppo BDP-93, Panasonic PT- AE 1000, Xtreamer Sidewinder.

Shitij Sumit Khattar

PS> Online UPS dont cost 50K. They start from 12 K + batteries.

Did a rough calculation on the power input,

TV : 140 W
Sound Bar : 80 W
DVD Player : 7 W
Onkyo receiver + Woofer : 607 W
Tata Sky HD DVR : 250 W - Pulled this number from the air , no information available on this
PS3 : 250 W
PCH A210 : 36 W

Totally i would say 1370-1400 W. So I guess I have to go for a Sine wave UPS will 1500 VA suffice?

Thanks Sumit, given my equipment list and power input do you think APC SUA 1500 will do?

Is the model number APC SUA 1500i - with an "I" for India?

Yes, it is SUA 1500i.

I think the PS3 should take a little less than 200w when in actual run. I am not too sure on the data on the TS DVR. I believe 250W is a lot.

In the list I forgot to mention a 200W RMS subwoofer as well. However, right now I don't remember its actual power consumption.

This UPS will not drive 1400W load. However, the wattage mentioned by you seems inaccurate for some equipments.

SSK

Did a rough calculation on the power input,

TV : 140 W
Sound Bar : 80 W
DVD Player : 7 W
Onkyo receiver + Woofer : 607 W
Tata Sky HD DVR : 250 W - Pulled this number from the air , no information available on this
PS3 : 250 W
PCH A210 : 36 W

Totally i would say 1370-1400 W. So I guess I have to go for a Sine wave UPS will 1500 VA suffice?

Although APC is no doubt of top quality model, but Emerson UPS also are used extensively in home as well as Industry. You may have a look at Emerson UPS.

Last edited:
Hey I am from bangalore and eaxctly having the same kind of setup in my apartmnent complex. Generator kicks in leass than a Min.

I am also interested in Groupbuy . let me know if you are planning any

I have enquired APC 1500 ( I dont remember exactly ) quoted 13.5K Approx including Batteries. I think we will get some more discount in a group buy

There are two model, one is the BackUPS and one is SmartUPS. The difference is that BackUPS is not Pure Sine wave.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back