UPS upgrade??

shredder

I don't know if this is possible but I was thinking:
Take a normal 600VA computer UPS, open it, remove the battery and connect the leads to an external heavy duty car battery. Next disable the irritating beeping sound.
Will this work, i.e. will it give long backup without going up in flames or
something?
Totally noob question I know, just thinking if it can be done in practice, because in theory it seems feasible.

I don't know if this is possible but I was thinking:
Take a normal 600VA computer UPS, open it, remove the battery and connect the leads to an external heavy duty car battery. Next disable the irritating beeping sound.
Will this work, i.e. will it give long backup without going up in flames or
something?
Totally noob question I know, just thinking if it can be done in practice, because in theory it seems feasible.
Same questions I too have. thanks for the post. I guess the charging circuitry should be able to handle the high current rating of car battery...
Experts opinion is required.

it depends on the design of the ups you plan to modify ,there are two issues

1) most of the ups's with internal battery uses 7AH battery,so max available charging current will be around 700mA,car battery(say 35AH) will take long time to charge

2) these are designed for short duration and so the transformer(to be specific ,inverter winding in the txmr) and the heatsinks in the inverter section are not rated for continuous operation, so the there is a risk

correct borg, i wanted to know if modification could be made to an existing UPS. Otherwise better to go in for inverter

The only time I tried it with an APC unit-trying to connect it to an additional external gel cell-it got friend and had to be thrown away!

There are 600VA UPS units (Compact - Compactups.com) that run on internal battery but will also accept an external battery with external connectors.
I hadn't heard of Compact UPS before. Interesting range: I would love a UPS spec-ed to run one PC for four hours. That way I could rely on getting two hours out of it even after some time.

Hmmmm... winder what it would cost :)

Back