Emerson Liebert GXT MT+ on line UPS

baijuxavior

An online UPS was always on my radar for a long time. Took the plunge recently and bought 1KVA UPS from Emerson Liebert.

Liebert GXT MT+ 1,2 & 3 kVA Online UPS

Even though APC is the market leader, I mainly went for Emerson as this brand is used by some of our forum members for powering their AV gears and are satisfied by its performance.

I contacted the Kochi dealer of Emerson and upon confirming the order, they brought the UPS to my home and did the installation. Prices quoted were 17.5K +5% tax for 1KVA (800W) and 28.5K+tax for 2KVA model both with internal battery. 2KVA was out of my budget. As I needed extended backup I went for 1KVA 'Long Run' model with external battery. 2KVA requires 6 batteries further raising the budget.They quoted 25K for 1KVA UPS, 3 batteries (18AH) and a battery rack. Since they didn't bring the rack, they reduced the final price to 24.2K. This includes transportation to my home (80KMs from Kochi) and installation.

The package contains UPS, Power input cable, power out cable, Driver CD and USB cable. Build Quality is very good. It is lighter than normal 600VA UPS as there is no internal battery. This makes moving the UPS very easy.

Front View:

23tl1r8.jpg

There is a big blue LCD display and a round button with three switches at the front. The power ON button also acts as a mute button pressing which battery mode alarm can be disabled. The alarm can be completely disabled by configuring the UPS using PC. Other settings like configuring the output voltage, viewing different status like Line Voltage, Battery Voltage, Load Level, Output Voltage, Temperature etc. can be done using these three buttons.
Back View:

24pyq0m.jpg

At the back, there are 4 IEC type power outlets. Two of these are configurable. We can set a time delay to shut off these two outlets when in battery mode. Less critical devices can be connected to these outlets to get maximum backup time. The outlets require IEC type connector. Luckily it is also provided with the UPS. We have to terminate the other end and join to the extension box. For communicating with a PC, both USB and RS232 ports are available. The fan noise is quite high and is not suited in HT room. Add to this the bright LCD.

2z84w9x.jpg

PC Monitoring

Using the USB port, the UPS can be completely monitored from a computer. The software provides various information about the UPS, options to monitor UPS events, shutdown PC conditionally, change settings etc. We can also turn on and off the ups using scheduled tasks.

UPS Status:

2nivcqp.png

UPS Settings:

2lyt1u.png

Performance

I ran Denon 1612 AVR, HTPC, TV, Subwoofer and STB through the UPS and it handled all these loads easily. The average load level was 15-20% only. The batteries will give a backup time of 40-50 minutes. It will give around 6 hour backup time if TV and STB only are used. The working voltage is from 160V-250 only eventhough the website says it can work from as low as 110V depending on load. Beyond these limits it will switch to battery mode completely. Since in my place the voltage hovers around 150-180V, the UPS alone cannot be used. The UPS is connected to servo stab if the voltage is too low.

Pros:

Rock steady output
Easy to use
Light weight
Comes with all accessories.
PC monitoring

Cons

Bright blue LCD display
Fan noise
Expensive
Increased power consumption than normal UPS or stabilizer.
Needs stabilizer if input voltage is too low.

Thanks for the review, baijuxaviour! I've been toying with the idea of getting a 1KVA online UPS for some time now. Good to have specific information right from the same city! :)

Can the output of the UPS be sent into say a single 500 AMP socket that's wired into the mains, feeding certain points around the house? That's how I have my current invertor setup. I've been planning on replacing the invertor with the Online UPS. Since I stay alone, 90% of the UPS will be used only for the AV Kit anyway. I don't use the AV Kit in the Invertor). I also need it out of the way from everything else.

Congrats on your purchase

Have you noticed any improvement in sound and picture quality after installing the online UPS?

Is there any noise from the unit apart from the fan noise?

I looked at the model online when I saw about your purchase the other day.

APC might be the market leader, but, at least at the small-machine end of the market, I do not think they have Liebert's rock-solid build quality, and the configurability of your machine seems amazing.

I'm sure that it is over spec. Wonderfully, gloriously over spec, and I want one! :D

How much noise does it make? I mean, fans and the like.

I have a 3kva. it made too much noise when it was in my living room. got an idea - without much wiring changes/ breaking of walls moved it to kitchen. it still makes the same noise but I don't get to hear it any more :)

Can the output of the UPS be sent into say a single 500 AMP socket that's wired into the mains, feeding certain points around the house? That's how I have my current invertor setup. I've been planning on replacing the invertor with the Online UPS. Since I stay alone, 90% of the UPS will be used only for the AV Kit anyway. I don't use the AV Kit in the Invertor). I also need it out of the way from everything else.

It can be done. I have actually connected my Supra LI UPS this way. It now acts as inverter during power cuts.

Congrats on your purchase

Have you noticed any improvement in sound and picture quality after installing the online UPS?

Is there any noise from the unit apart from the fan noise?

I didn't check the sound quality. I am not sure if I can distinguish minute difference in SQ if any as the speakers are satellites.

How much noise does it make? I mean, fans and the like.

Noise is quite high but you may not notice it if AVR is running at sufficiently high volume. But placing it outside is better.

Oh, is the display bright? It looks good in the brochure, but I don't like bright displays.

The display is very bright in dark rooms. Under normal lighting it is not a problem.

yes, quite bright if you make the room dark for watching movie on pj. though it was in a corner of my room, it was not out of sight. I usually covered it up with cloth, paper, even taped white paper over it for some time.

It was the fan noise, which discouraged me from Liebert. I didn't have any opportunity to keep that in another room to circumvent the noise problem. Still I am managing with my Servo stabiliser for my audio system. Otherwise, Liebert was a good product.

I have the Liebert GXT MT+ CX model (3kVA) with standard battery (inside).

I had 3 issues:
1. Very loud noise from the 2 fans in the front.
2. Very bright LCD display.
3. Very loud buzzer for any key presses.

Solution:

1. I replaced the 2 front fans (cold air in take) with Gelid Silent 7 with 2200 RPM (50% lower than original). To make up for the lower air flow inside, I added 2 more Gelids (exhaust mode) on the vacant back grill.

313hnns.jpg

2. For the bright display I bought a Nokia screen guard with privacy. These are dark films and help reduce the brightness by about 50%.

v2uwyq.jpg

3. For the loud buzzer noise I simply stuck foam tape to cover the small hole on the buzzer inside.

Now its perfect for HT. Cheers

I had picked it up for 30K AI.
Can you check price for 1kVA also with internal battery?

3kVA unit consumes about 130W in "online" mode but without any load connected.

Last edited:
3kVA unit consumes about 130W in "online" mode but without any load connected.

Online UPS can only handle voltage and frequency fluctuations but i doubt it can handle lightning or sudden power surge. Don't you have a surge protector as well?

It provides clean and stable power and can handle sudden power surges as it has OVCD (Over Voltage Cut-off Device).

Yes, I run it through Belkin Ultimate Series - 8 socket surge protector...I have 2 of them connected for all of my equipment.

Not sure how good they are for lightning...

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back