Using Surge Protector with Stabilizer

praksy

Hi guys,

After the recent kaput of my new LG 42LB750T, I am taking every step to make sure that 2nd one does not go kaput.
Store guy was kind enough to replace the same after couple of visits.

My area has over voltage problem, so I have bought V-Guard Crystal Plus Voltage Stabilizer and Belkin 4 Port Surge Protector.
So Can I put Belkin Socket in V-Guard and connect my TV and STB in Belkin?
Will that harm my tv?
I am worried that my 2nd TV will also go bad because of power fluctuation.
Please help me out.

Hi guys,

After the recent kaput of my new LG 42LB750T, I am taking every step to make sure that 2nd one does not go kaput.
Store guy was kind enough to replace the same after couple of visits.

My area has over voltage problem, so I have bought V-Guard Crystal Plus Voltage Stabilizer and Belkin 4 Port Surge Protector.
So Can I put Belkin Socket in V-Guard and connect my TV and STB in Belkin?
Will that harm my tv?
I am worried that my 2nd TV will also go bad because of power fluctuation.
Please help me out.

I am also in the same predicament. I have stabilizer already but my TOSHIBA REGZA 40PB200 got its main board "Kaput" as u say :). wide voltage variation but I think in my case it was some lighting residual energy that went through my HD cable connection. So now i have bought a BELKIN ultimate and also lighting surge protector for the coaxial incoming cable as well as an additional coaxial surge protector at the at incoming to the HD STB. all of these are only on the way so no performance update. As regards connection. Power socket to surge protector first and then stabilizer. connect your TV set and STB to the Stabilizer. you will have some spare sockets but thats Ok.

In my area there is also voltage problem.. I have connected Vguard christal plus to the power socket and Belkin surge protector to the stablizer. Till date no problem.. U cant connect all ur components directly to the stabilizer as there is only one output point.

In my area there is also voltage problem.. I have connected Vguard christal plus to the power socket and Belkin surge protector to the stablizer. Till date no problem.. U cant connect all ur components directly to the stabilizer as there is only one output point.

Can you please le me know which model of Belkin surge protector to be used in order to connect the setup box incoming cable also ? Because lightning may come thru the Antina also...

So now i have bought a BELKIN ultimate and also lighting surge protector for the coaxial incoming cable as well as an additional coaxial surge protector at the at incoming to the HD STB.

Buddy, where did you buy this and what is the cost. I am also looking for the same. I am also using belkin 6 port one. But I am in need of the inline protector to protect against lightning strikes.

Buddy, where did you buy this and what is the cost. I am also looking for the same. I am also using belkin 6 port one. But I am in need of the inline protector to protect against lightning strikes.

I have ordered it from Amazon US. its a UL registered product. It has to be earthed to your building ground

TII 212 Broadband Cable TV Lightning Surge Protector

Price: $16.57

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Iv46WBsZL.jpg

I am also in the same predicament. I have stabilizer already but my TOSHIBA REGZA 40PB200 got its main board "Kaput" as u say :). wide voltage variation but I think in my case it was some lighting residual energy that went through my HD cable connection. So now i have bought a BELKIN ultimate and also lighting surge protector for the coaxial incoming cable as well as an additional coaxial surge protector at the at incoming to the HD STB. all of these are only on the way so no performance update. As regards connection. Power socket to surge protector first and then stabilizer. connect your TV set and STB to the Stabilizer. you will have some spare sockets but thats Ok.

thank you so much for replying.
STB and TV both has 3 pin plugs and Stabilizer has only one 3 Pin plug.
So I am confused as to how can I connect both to the stabilizer.
So I was thinking to connect the Surge Protector to Stabilizer and than connect TV and STB in the sockets of Surge Protector.
Is it safe?
or should I connect the TV to stabilizer and STB to my main board connection.

This coaxial surge protectors are not available in India,even on amazon.in , even if you get one they are not full proof,many lost thair components even using this ( even me in UK)
So what I do now is simply disconnect my hdmi cable from the stb, when ever I feel not right. Trust me this is the best way.

So I was thinking to connect the Surge Protector to Stabilizer and than connect TV and STB in the sockets of Surge Protector.
Is it safe?

That would be good, but the Surge protector should be the first line of defence. or the sacrificial piece to protect the rest of the components, including the stabilizer. In some technical forums they say connecting surge protector after UPS would keep clamping the because the waveform of the UPS output will trigger the suppression. Better to use the SP as the first line of defence. if you have a normal power strip at home with multiple power ports use that to connect to the stabilizer and then you can connect both TV and STB to the strip.

Last edited:
I have ordered it from Amazon US. its a UL registered product. It has to be earthed to your building ground

TII 212 Broadband Cable TV Lightning Surge Protector

Price: $16.57

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Iv46WBsZL.jpg

I had read about these things in various forums. Many claim that even using this thing they have lost their TVS. But I don't mind buying them even If they can provide 5 % chance to protect

This coaxial surge protectors are not available in India,even on amazon.in , even if you get one they are not full proof,many lost thair components even using this ( even me in UK)
So what I do now is simply disconnect my hdmi cable from the stb, when ever I feel not right. Trust me this is the best way.

Yes, even I do it. But removing and fixing that is really cumbersome. Planning to have some connector or switch kind of thing so we can switch off when we go out from home.

Is it safe?

I would also prefer to connect the Stabilizer to the Surge protector. Another very simple reason is because I want the load on the Stabilizer to be isolated to TV alone. The costliest equipment is TV and the Stabilizer should have enough over head to take care of it. And, STBs are cheap.

The belkin has inlet and outlet for coax cable to protect from lightning strike to dish.

I was Just reminded I need to use that feature.

Can you please let me know which model it is exactly ?
The regular one with eight plugs and "gold" insurance for your equipment I think. I cant find a part number on it that is readable without a magnifying lens. The coax connector is on the far edge vertical.

G

Last edited:
I had read about these things in various forums. Many claim that even using this thing they have lost their TVS. But I don't mind buying them even If they can provide 5 % chance to protect

Yes, even I do it. But removing and fixing that is really cumbersome. Planning to have some connector or switch kind of thing so we can switch off when we go out from home.

I would also prefer to connect the Stabilizer to the Surge protector. Another very simple reason is because I want the load on the Stabilizer to be isolated to TV alone. The costliest equipment is TV and the Stabilizer should have enough over head to take care of it. And, STBs are cheap.

I would still try the coaxial grounding mechanism because it cant do worse than what has already happened more than twice at my home in kerala where there is a lot of lightning activity. I haven't installed it as yet but I plan to revamp my whole house grounding system and even use (depending on cost) whole house surge protection as well. Too many issues with power and coaxial lines.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back