Very famous western classical music

urban legend? more like straight from the horses mouth. and the horse in question being classically trained in his early years, i'm sure its true. we can agree to disagree though :) and at a bangalore concert ian anderson played a few of his more popular riffs and showed how they came from great classical tunes. forget which ones now.

sure shows how powerful classical music is, how enduring it is and more importantly how the basic building blocks of music can be interpreted, arranged and played in different styles/time signatures across genres of music.

YouTube - "Ode to Joy" played on wine glasses

beethoven ode to joy. played with wine glasses. enjoy!

pachelbel - canon in D major

rondo alla turca - mozart

adagio in G minor - albinoni

bach - air on G string

schubert - ave maria

paganini - caprice No. 24

hungarian dance No. 5 - johannes brahms

johann strauss - the blue danube waltz, vienna waltz

handel - sarabande

tchaikovsky - nutcracker suite

best enjoyed on lp eh hiten? ;)

@moktan
Led zeppelin were among the best 10 bands of the 60's.Personally I rate the Live Concerts of Cream in 1968 as the high watermark of rock music.Even the great Jimi Hendrix seems to have been influenced by them.Although my extensive collection of rock music is now gathering dust as I mostly listen to western classical or jazz(1930-1968),occasionally after a couple of single malts and when I am alone at home or with a childhood friend, I go on a trip down nostalgia lane and crank up the volume to listen to the big bad boys of the 60's.
Among the bands I usually dig up from my collection-
Cream
Allman Brothers
Steely Dan
Simon & Garfunkel
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Traffic
Grateful Dead
Among the solos
Phil Ochs(in my humble opinion bigger and better than Dylan)
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Leonard Cohen
Bob Marley
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
John Lennon
Elvis Presley
Roy Orbinson

@moktan
Led zeppelin were among the best 10 bands of the 60's.Personally I rate the Live Concerts of Cream in 1968 as the high watermark of rock music.Even the great Jimi Hendrix seems to have been influenced by them.Although my extensive collection of rock music is now gathering dust as I mostly listen to western classical or jazz(1930-1968),occasionally after a couple of single malts and when I am alone at home or with a childhood friend, I go on a trip down nostalgia lane and crank up the volume to listen to the big bad boys of the 60's.
Cream
Allman Brothers
Steely Dan
Simon & Garfunkel
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Traffic
Grateful Dead
Among the solos
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Leonard Cohen
Bob Marley
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
John Lennon
Elvis Presley
Roy Orbinson

to this almost canonical list, i would like to add:
The Velvet Underground...(difficult to leave out old Lou Reed when we are discussing the music of that era)...
and another interesting act for me has always been David Thomas and his band Pere Ubu...albeit of the mid 70s....
by the way these two sites have always had interesting reviews and insights into our kind of music...
Piero Scaruffi's knowledge base
Pitchfork: Home

Last edited:
@moktan
Yes!Velvet Underground and Lou Reed definitely!Love the tracks-Stephanie Says,Walk on the Wild Side....Also Talking Heads and Procul Harum.Whiter Shade of Pale was considered to have been inspired by Bach's Air on a G String.Nevertheless it is one of the classics of rock music.Have not heard Per Ubu but will check it out.

Guys ! What are you doing to my thread !!! All I wanted was introduction to famous western classical music, and you are talking about 'Rock' music. Very ironic. See how powerful and influential rock music can be. ;) :lol:

Just kidding, Nothing serious. As long as it is related to music I don't mind. Do post your views everyone. But also post some classical works.

Notorious, Murali, Stevie, alcy and everyone who suggested few works thanks a lot, will listen to them and join again.
Thanks again.

Guys ! What are you doing to my thread !!! All I wanted was introduction to famous western classical music, and you are talking about 'Rock' music. Very ironic. See how powerful and influential rock music can be. ;) :lol:

Just kidding, Nothing serious. As long as it is related to music I don't mind. Do post your views everyone. But also post some classical works.

Notorious, Murali, Stevie, alcy and everyone who suggested few works thanks a lot, will listen to them and join again.
Thanks again.

I think the difference between "classic" rock and "classical" has blurred for some posters ...:lol: Too much head banging can mess the neural connections in the brain ... or is the weed? :eek:hyeah::rolleyes:

On that note *koff! koff!* I cant resist chipping in ... I used to love "whiter shade of pale" myself a lot in my late teens. Although I doubt I will enjoy listening to it today as much as I did when I was impressionable ... :) And Cream yeeeaaah! I still listen to Cream ....!! :D

Cheers

urban legend? more like straight from the horses mouth. and the horse in question being classically trained in his early years, i'm sure its true. .

I believe all great rock musicians have had some classical training background. This is what makes their music above the rest. There may be a few rare exceptions. I think it is impossible to acquire the right technique in playing an instrument without some classical training.

Regards

@moktan
Cream
Allman Brothers
Steely Dan
Simon & Garfunkel
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Traffic
Grateful Dead
Among the solos
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Leonard Cohen
Bob Marley
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
John Lennon
Elvis Presley
Roy Orbinson

led zeppelin were the biggest thieves, most of the people are just not aware of the facts. led zep were as bad as bollywood. Take any of their songs and search, its by some one else. the worst part is that in the credits, they dont even use the original owners name, but take the credit for the song, write their names, dont pay royalty to the original singer. And most of the original owners are some poor US blues musicians. so, for all practical purposes, led zep = bhappi lahiri.

I like them though:lol:

Another sad case in point is aamir khan. that idiot keeps harping about piracy etc, and then goes on to make a remake of ghazini, pays royalty to the guy who stole memento, and claims he is innocent as he paid for it. Kinda like a guy steals mona lisa and sells it to someone, and that guy says its his now as he has paid for it:lol:

@doors 666
Why don't you start a thread where everybody posts their experiences of 'borrowed' art.
My favorite example-
Kurosawa's Seven Samurai.Not one of my favorite Kurosawa films.But the sub text of the film was - THE BIRTH OF A NATION - an opressed peasantry rising up in revolt against a bandit regime looting the rewards of their sweat and toil and giving nothing in return.This sub text is one of the great themes of world cinema.Seven Samurai metamorphosed into The Magnificient Seven.Needless to say that the sub text disappeared and all you had was Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen strutting around and ocassionaly firing some fake ammo.And The Seven Samurai metamorphosed into Sholay.A pedestrian wannabe cowboy western....
@hitensitapara
Sorry for taking your thread of the track.I promise that my next post will be only about classical music!

Last edited:
One famous rock band of the seventies that fused rock and classical music was the The Moody Blues...their 1967 Days of Future Passed was supposed to be a rock version of Anton Dvorak's New World Orchestra...it featured the popular Nights In White Satin...

and if rock operas would qualify there was The Who's Tommy..there are times when i have hummed Pinball Wizard in the bathroom ...

Famous Composers
BAROQUE(1600-1750)
ANTONIO VIVALDI
JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH(I CALL HIM GOD )
GEORGE FRIDERIC HANDEL

CLASSICAL(1750-1825)
FRANZ JOSEPH HAYDN
WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART
LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN

ROMANTIC(1825-1900)
FRANZ SCHUBERT
FELIX MENDELSSOHN
GIOACCHINO ROSSINI
ROBERT SCHUMANN
FREDERIC CHOPIN
JOHANNES BRAHMS
ANTONIN DVORAK
PETER ILYICH TCHAIKOVSKY
RICHARD STRAUSS
RICHARD WAGNER
FRANZ LISZT
GIUSEPPE VERDI
HECTOR BERLIOZ
GUSTAV MAHLER

MODERN(1900-)
CLAUDE DEBUSSY
IGOR STRAVINSKY
MAURICE RAVEL
JEAN SIBELIUS
SERGEI PROKOFIEV
DMITRI SHOSTAKOVICH

led zeppelin were the biggest thieves, most of the people are just not aware of the facts. led zep were as bad as bollywood. Take any of their songs and search, its by some one else.

of course they take songs like 'When the levee breaks' by Memphis Minnie and make them something else...surely the Zepplin version with Bonham's wild pounding, is the more atmospheric musical engagement...

@ notorious M
Por una cabeza by Carlos Gardel - loved it.
@ murali
Beethoven's 5th Symphony - yes already in the list murali.
Paul Mauriat's Classics in the air - Had few vinyls of Paul Mauriat. Sold it away. Should have given them a good repeated listen.
@ Stevie - out of your list I liked the following.
Schumann: Kinderszenen, Op. 15 - 7. Trumerei
rondo alla turca - mozart
paganini - caprice No. 24
hungarian dance No. 5 - johannes brahms
johann strauss - the blue danube waltz, vienna waltz
@ alcy
Kronos quartet Lux Aeterna - This is good.
@ ajay
Talking Heads ??? I like their 'burning down the house'.
@hitensitapara
Sorry for taking your thread of the track.I promise that my next post will be only about classical music!
No problem man. As far as I learn new things no problem. Thank's for the list. Any specific compositions ?
One famous rock band of the seventies that fused rock and classical music was the The Moody Blues...their 1967 Days of Future Passed was supposed to be a rock version of Anton Dvorak's New World Orchestra...it featured the popular Nights In White Satin...
and if rock operas would qualify there was The Who's Tommy..there are times when i have hummed Pinball Wizard in the bathroom ...
Thanks moktan this is new to me. I have Dvorak's New World Orchestra CD and liked it as said in my first post. Will try to find out "Days of Future Passed".

Keep them coming
:)

the barber of seville overture - rossini

prelude to act 1 los torreadores - bizet

carmen harbanera - bizet

eine kleine nachtmusik - mozart

piano concerto 21 andante - mozart

symphony no 40 - mozart

symphony no 9 in d minor - beethoven

serenade -schubert

wedding march - mendelssohn

fantasie impromptu - chopin

orpheus in hades - offenbach

classical gas - mason williams

sorry if i've repeated some from previous posts :) enjoy!

Saying that Led Zepp were thieves doesn't make you sound cool, doors666. There are a handful of tracks which they did in their own way, and the they didn't like giving credit or royalty to the original artists. That was bad on their part. But comparing them with people in Bollywood, that's so pretentious & immature.

And you took the liberty to slam their complete discography ? Way to go man, way to go.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back