Very famous western classical music

hiten,

and my all time childhood fav that i forever associate with sitting in front of the tv on summer afternoons and watching the animated show 'profokiev's peter and the wolf!!!'

regards

I second Moktan's suggestion of Ride of the Valkyries. An absolutely amazing composition, and brillantly set for the napalming scene in Apocalypse Now.

Not too many movie background scores have been discussed yet. A few that come to mind are the musical compositions for:
1. The Godfather
2. The Midnight Cowboy
3. Requiem For A Dream (already mentioned)
4. Koyaanisqatsi
5. The operatic piece in The Fifth Element

Reunited with an old favourite after many years of hardly ever hearing western classical:

Mahler's Symphony No 2.

Forgive the cliche, but it's got everything. It covers the dynamic range from whisper to roar and ends with an earthquake; it has the most wonderful melodies; it has an astonishing variety of different combinations of sound.

It's just wonderful :)

Saying that Led Zepp were thieves doesn't make you sound cool, doors666. There are a handful of tracks which they did in their own way, and the they didn't like giving credit or royalty to the original artists. That was bad on their part. But comparing them with people in Bollywood, that's so pretentious & immature.

And you took the liberty to slam their complete discography ? Way to go man, way to go.

I did not say that their entire discography is stolen, and neither did bollywood stole everything. Also, you missed the part where I mentioned that I like led zep, a lot... doesnt change the fact that what they did was not cool et al..
Oh, and by the way, they have been sued quite a few times for stealing others music, some of the cases are still pending.

You sound like its just a couple of tracks. I could get this list from the web in 30 seconds.

* "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
* "Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
* "Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
* "Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
* "Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
* "Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
* "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
* "How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
* "In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
* "The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
* "Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
* "Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
* "Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
* "Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
* "White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
* "Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."

Doors666, I think you have been a bit too harsh on my favourite actor - Amir Khan. He has been one of the few guys who acts because he likes acting and takes movies that are really good. Take Sarfarosh, Lagaan, Taare Zamin Par, Fanaa, 3 Idiots, and Gajini. Do you know he studiously avoids awards functions and never accepts any awards?

Irrespective of what the Tamil producer did with reference to Memento, Amir actually co-produced Gajini with the Tamil producer, and I think the same Director. They also shared the returns from the runaway success. So these guys cannot complain.

Cheers

hiten,

and my all time childhood fav that i forever associate with sitting in front of the tv on summer afternoons and watching the animated show 'profokiev's peter and the wolf!!!'

regards

Steven, have u heard 'Peter and the wolf - the rock opera'? guess you might want to check it out...

I have started loving Vivaldi's 4 seasons - Winter.

I think its a wonderful composition and makes one listen to it again and again.

Found some new famous compositions.
Bizet - Les Toreadors
Rosas - Over the waves
Beethovan - Minuet in G
Bach - Cello Suit No. 1
Suppe - Light Cavalry Overture
Williams - Imperial march ;)
Sorry last one is not classical. But I like John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith soundtracks.

@ Stevie
eine kleine nachtmusik - mozart - good
symphony no 40 - mozart - Already in list
@ Thad
Mahler's Symphony No 2. - yes love this composition
@ asliarun
Midnight cowboy theme - loved the movie as well
Thanks everyone

led zeppelin were the biggest thieves, most of the people are just not aware of the facts. led zep were as bad as bollywood. Take any of their songs and search, its by some one else.

I did not say that their entire discography is stolen, and neither did bollywood stole everything.

Quoted for emphasis.

I like them though:lol:

Also, you missed the part where I mentioned that I like led zep, a lot... doesnt change the fact that what they did was not cool et al..

Whether you like them or not is irrelevant. The point is, what you said is uncalled for and disrespectful. There are generations of people AND bands who have grown up listening to Led Zepp and tonnes of music that followed, and surely being one of those people I can't ignore what you said.

* "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."

So Joan Baez is a thief too ? And the way Led Zepp has done this song ? Most of the songs they have done in their own way. So, the music is great. The people who made the music, not so great. I am pretty sure if I started reading (bad things) about all my favorite artists, I'll probably end up hating them, for a multitude of reasons. Stick to the music.

I can probably come up with more finds for you, but there's no point in that. There are some thing Google & Wikipedia won't ever suffice for.

You know what, by your logic, a hell lot of bands & artists should be labeled as thieves.

Yep. Absolutely true.

So what is the point of making a fuss about it being said?

Can we get back to clasical music?

yes at least with classical music the antecedents and such 'anxieties of influence' will be of such great antiquity that even uncle google would not be able to help..

Great, back to the thread.

I need to confess that although I love Chopin's compositions a lot, but my sources for listening to the same have been varied (OSTs, random stuff from friends, a few torrents here and there).

If someone could point me to some authoritative records/CDs/artists who have done Chopin's compositions, it would be great.

Found two more which I like

Robert Schumann - Traumerei / Reverie
Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring

@ Stevie - out of your list I liked the following.
Schumann: Kinderszenen, Op. 15 - 7. Trumerei
rondo alla turca - mozart
paganini - caprice No. 24
hungarian dance No. 5 - johannes brahms
johann strauss - the blue danube waltz, vienna waltz

Today 09:35 AM

Found two more which I like

Robert Schumann - Traumerei / Reverie
Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring

hiten,

you've re-discovered traumerei :) or maybe you just like it a lot! :)

regards

Steven, have u heard 'Peter and the wolf - the rock opera'? guess you might want to check it out...

hi soul,

by whom is the rock opera? tried checking on the net. only got some prog rock links...

regards

though am pretty sure i'll prefer the classical one ;)

hiten,

you've re-discovered traumerei :) or maybe you just like it a lot! :)

regards

Or I am getting old :lol:

Edit : I will do one thing in few days will make all my favourites in one list and in one post. Other thing is searching through google one gets many variations of same piece of classical music by different conductors and orchestras.

Last edited:
Did I miss it or has someone already mentioned Blue Danube...used in many many alarms and door bell...

stevieboy...its a prog rock interpretation of the original one...got contributions from the likes of bill bruford, phil collins, brian eno, alvin lee, gary moore, manfred mann etc...i'll bring the CD along when i finally visit u ;)

Back