Vinyl I am listening to...

Sourav, kindly give some info on your rig for playing 78s, thanks.
Hi Reuben,
Keeping in mind the careful maintenance of 78 shellacs, I have digitized most of the 78s using my Technics TT and Shure N78 styli and listen through DAC. When it comes to a direct play, I use Philips 533 through my Sansui amp. Full bodied sound and I am lucky to have good quality 78 headshell and cartridge.

Thanks,
Sourav

Blue Train - John Coltrane
R-3122285-1506986614-9360.jpeg.jpg

Listening to 'பூ மழை பொழியுது' ( poo malai pozliyuthu ) LP, music by R.D.Burman.
Excellent composing.
Regards.View attachment 25687
Awesome compositions.

Specially Kikku Kikku by Chitra is a Gem.

Same composition was later sung by Asha Tai in Hindi is Gunahgar Kaun (1991) but the tamil version is really so soothing.

Pancham da's trademark Bass guitar thru out.

Bravo !!

Now playing:

Black Sabbath - Self titled (this is a part of the new "Ten Year War" box set.

Attachments

• IMG_20180316_090559.jpg
    IMG_20180316_090559.jpg
    910.8 KB · Views: 3
Michael Jackson - Bad (for old time's sake)
Excellent pressing which I could not recommend enough. This one is reissued in 2016, and I could not hear a pop or crackle..

R-11588909-1518994141-4371.jpeg.jpg

Hello,
Question to all Bollywood vinyl lovers... Do you guys listen to newly pressed Bollywood vinyls released by Sony DADC? If yes how do you like the sound quality? I am trying buy a set of great sounding Bollywood vinyls (1969-1987) and appreciate you feedback on albums that are well mastered on LPs, either old or new.
Thanks.

Hello,
Question to all Bollywood vinyl lovers... Do you guys listen to newly pressed Bollywood vinyls released by Sony DADC? If yes how do you like the sound quality? I am trying buy a set of great sounding Bollywood vinyls (1969-1987) and appreciate you feedback on albums that are well mastered on LPs, either old or new.
Thanks.

Sound quality on new pressings for a few bollywood OSTs are very good while some sound very digital. Dil Padosi Hai, Abhimaan are exemplary. A couple of songs on Hare Rama Hare Krishna are too good. Rest is average for new pressings but with no noise in comparison to older pressings procured mostly pre-owned. As it seems you are stationed in US, a hunt at garage sale or world record day for older pressings could fulfill your expectation. Discogs is a good source.

Sourav

@sourav: Thanks for the feedback. I visited Cal recently, last Feb, and bought a few Bollywood LPs both new and old. I got two new Sony DADC releases,1942 a Love Story and DDLJ (Dilwale Dulhaniya..). They sound mostly digital which didn't surprise me because the Sony DADC folks only told me that these records are mastered from digital sources provided by SaReGaMa. I bought some lossless digital songs (Bollywood albums) from SaReGaMa website previously which I was not very impressed with. May be SaReGaMa is providing these hi-rez (as they claim) files to Sony for the mastering of new LP records. There is one good thing I noticed in these LPs. They are relatively less harsh sounding compared to the CDs. I will clean these records shortly to ensure that there are no dirt or gunk left out from the manufacturing process on the surface and listen before publishing my final feedback. I would buy Abhiman at the earliest opportunity and compare its sound quality with these two records.

I also bought a few old LP records, mint or near mint copies, which I haven't played so far. The old mint/near-mint Bollywood LP market in India is crazy expensive and might be highly overpriced. I bought only a couple to see if it's worth spending so much money for these old records. It is very painful for me to buy these albums because most of them (Bollywood 1970-85) I had in my house when I was growing up...

In the US I buy old LP records periodically but they are all western albums. I don't have any issue with getting Western albums new/old unlike Bollywood titles.

Thanks.

@sourav: Thanks for the feedback. I visited Cal recently, last Feb, and bought a few Bollywood LPs both new and old. I got two new Sony DADC releases,1942 a Love Story and DDLJ (Dilwale Dulhaniya..). They sound mostly digital which didn't surprise me because the Sony DADC folks only told me that these records are mastered from digital sources provided by SaReGaMa. I bought some lossless digital songs (Bollywood albums) from SaReGaMa website previously which I was not very impressed with. May be SaReGaMa is providing these hi-rez (as they claim) files to Sony for the mastering of new LP records. There is one good thing I noticed in these LPs. They are relatively less harsh sounding compared to the CDs. I will clean these records shortly to ensure that there are no dirt or gunk left out from the manufacturing process on the surface and listen before publishing my final feedback. I would buy Abhiman at the earliest opportunity and compare its sound quality with these two records.

I also bought a few old LP records, mint or near mint copies, which I haven't played so far. The old mint/near-mint Bollywood LP market in India is crazy expensive and might be highly overpriced. I bought only a couple to see if it's worth spending so much money for these old records. It is very painful for me to buy these albums because most of them (Bollywood 1970-85) I had in my house when I was growing up...

In the US I buy old LP records periodically but they are all western albums. I don't have any issue with getting Western albums new/old unlike Bollywood titles.

Thanks.

Hello Sir,
It will be great if u specify which speakers, turntable and Cartridge Combo are you using ??? The output Sound quality greatly depends on your system and it's fine tuning.
Similarly, you also tell us which CD-Player / DAC are you using.
The New LPs are far far superior than their original counterparts. Also LPs of films post-1990 may always be digital recordings. The sole purpose of LPs is to deliver the highest quality possible recording to your ears and not the ANALOGUE-PHOBIA You are percieving..

Gentlemen, let's keep this thread for sharing records that we're listening to.
Please feel free to start new thread(s) to discuss other matters so as not to take away the focus of this thread. Thanks.

@raj12345: Thanks for sharing your feedback on the new LPs. Do you have any specific album in mind which you liked? I like Analog sound but not limited to this format. I do listen to many SACDs that are well mastered and output analog like sound. Most of the Bollywood tittles in CDs particularly of the era 1969-1987 are very poorly mastered and sound awful at least to my ears. That's why I was so interested to get them in LPs or in SACDs. Hopefully the new LPs will sound better in the future, hoping that both SaReGaMa and Sony work together and figure out a way to better master these LPs.

Coming back to my gear, I have a Clearaudio Concept turntable (Moving Magnet), Parasound Halo P-7 & Halo JC-2 Preamplifiers and a Parasound Halo A-21 stereo power amplifier which drive a pair of Floorstanding loudspeakers Aerial Model 7T. I use all Nordost cables, use a couple of dedicated 20 Amp circuits, Furutech receptacles and Nordost distribution box. My music room is well treated with GIK bass traps and the system is quite revealing.
My digital source is Oppo BDP-95 universal player and I don't have a dedicated DAC.

Thanks

Just what the friendly mailman dropped today-

Stan Getz / João Gilberto Featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim - Getz / Gilberto

R-2507680-1389362391-6277.jpeg.jpg

@dazoy- Did you get the new LP release (45 RPM) of Getz/Gilberto album or the old one? If new, how is the sound quality. I have this album in Blu ray audio (96x24 resolution) and it sounds terrific.
Thanks.

@dazoy- Did you get the new LP release (45 RPM) of Getz/Gilberto album or the old one? If new, how is the sound quality. I have this album in Blu ray audio (96x24 resolution) and it sounds terrific.
Thanks.

Its not 45 but regular 33RPM. Its on verve label, pressed in France in 2017, and I find the quality pretty good for a recording more than 60 years old. Its not remastered (why reinvent the wheel).There were no pops or crackles after I cleaned the vinyl. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

@dazoy- Glad to hear that you like the sound quality of this LP record. I typically buy used LPs when it comes to western albums and clean them before playing them on my turntable. It works out well...I would love to listen to some of the newly released albums available in 45RPM before buying them. Let me know if you have listened to any of them.
Thanks.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back