Vinyl I am listening to...

@shafic : Sir, your LP collection is on another level! I mean I come to this thread to drool at your collection and TT photographs.

For someone like me who doesn't have a TT and a single LP since most of my listening is via Audio CD's, digital FLACS and Spotify your photos make me desperately want to take a step into the Vinyl world. But I'm just apprehensive on where and how to even start!

@shafic : Sir, your LP collection is on another level! I mean I come to this thread to drool at your collection and TT photographs.

For someone like me who doesn't have a TT and a single LP since most of my listening is via Audio CD's, digital FLACS and Spotify your photos make me desperately want to take a step into the Vinyl world. But I'm just apprehensive on where and how to even start!
+1.
Really appreciate the wide diversity of FM shafiq’s taste, unlike some who listen to only one genre - say RD Burman - and remain blind to everything else.

Hello,
Thank you for your appreciation. In fact I have a small collection of variety of lps and TTs. I don't have too many rare and expensive titles but I am very happy with whatever I have.

It is my pleasure to share in the forum and if it creates interest in this black magic, I am glad.

My first TT was a Cosmic Co 2000 BD, 25 Years back and I was very content with it. That TT introduced me to the vinyl world. I still remember those golden days of listening.

My advice for a beginner would be to start with a simple vintage TT ( about 5 - 15 k) with a basic cartridge ( 6k) and a vintage integrated amplifier with phono (10 k).
Make a list as per your taste and start collecting lps slowly ( Rs 300 onwards ).
Once you are happy with this format, you can go for an upgrade and invest in expensive titles if you like.
Regards

Just to add couple of points from my experience to the brilliant advice from shafic, a lot of folks may tell you that LP record albums are very expensive these days and very hard to find. May be true to some extent but if you look back in time, almost every Indian family, especially the upwardly mobile ones, had record collections in those times. There are many who still have records tucked away in cupboards and store rooms at home, not in use. The age old method of leaving word with friends and family still brings in good stuff (you'll be really surprised at the results). Yes, many go to great lengths and spend a lot on sourcing their favorite albums or genres of music on LP. But something you'll also discover is the pleasure around the fidelity that LP records present. You'll find yourself trying out new music genres, different performances and releases, etc just for the experience. For example, I started listening to Englebert Humperdinck, Pat Boone, Jim Reeves, Skeeter Davis, Susan Raye, Kenny Rogers and the likes of James Last, Mantovani, Bert Kaempfert and even symphonic orchestras and Russian ballets like swan lake, on LPs just for the experience. Being a lover of the distorted electric guitar, my staple listening used to be generally AOR, Glam Metal, Thrash Metal, etc (and still is).

I started my vinyl journey last month .. Something that I wanted to do for a long long time … I am glad that I took this step .. My records collection is few , with a mix of old and new … But the music is sublime … You will never be able to enjoy music they way u do through a vinyl record … The absence of the fast forward and pause button is such a blessing !!! It slows u down and makes u to “LISTEN” to music rather than just hearing it :):)

Just to add couple of points from my experience to the brilliant advice from shafic, a lot of folks may tell you that LP record albums are very expensive these days and very hard to find. May be true to some extent but if you look back in time, almost every Indian family, especially the upwardly mobile ones, had record collections in those times. There are many who still have records tucked away in cupboards and store rooms at home, not in use. The age old method of leaving word with friends and family still brings in good stuff (you'll be really surprised at the results). Yes, many go to great lengths and spend a lot on sourcing their favorite albums or genres of music on LP. But something you'll also discover is the pleasure around the fidelity that LP records present. You'll find yourself trying out new music genres, different performances and releases, etc just for the experience. For example, I started listening to Englebert Humperdinck, Pat Boone, Jim Reeves, Skeeter Davis, Susan Raye, Kenny Rogers and the likes of James Last, Mantovani, Bert Kaempfert and even symphonic orchestras and Russian ballets like swan lake, on LPs just for the experience. Being a lover of the distorted electric guitar, my staple listening used to be generally AOR, Glam Metal, Thrash Metal, etc (and still is).
+1 … Biggsst boon is u can actually listen to a “demo” using Spotify and then u can get a vinyl record if you really like the music or the genre

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back