Vinyl I am listening to...

An evening with Neil Diamond
Inspired by FM Premanand@mtp

Album - Neil Diamond - His 12 Greatest Hits (1974)
Personal Notes - This album is from my late father's collection and one of his favorites (as a result, we had this playing on a lot of weekends). This is perhaps the most well known and widely owned Diamond album
Trivia - Neil Diamond is lovingly called "The Jewish Elvis"

ND1.jpgND2.jpg
ND3.jpgND4.jpg

Final one for today evening, down the memory lane, from Dad's collection

Album - Baccara (self titled from 1977)
Personal Notes - the song "Yes Sir I can Boogie" was a hit at home while "Granada" had a lot of rotation at our school during dance shows back in the late 1970s. A lot of disco mix cassettes in circulation around those times at our school also featured these tracks.

Bar-1.jpgBAR-2.jpg
BAR-3.jpgBAR-4.jpg

Attachments

• THE-BIDDU-ORCHESTRA-DISCO-GOLD-RARE.jpg
    THE-BIDDU-ORCHESTRA-DISCO-GOLD-RARE.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 12
Last night's listening: One of These Nights - Eagles (1975)
Personal Trivia - This record was a gift from my good friend FM Simon Wires, GCOIL pressing

Cover Art - An important part of the vinyl experience is the album cover and cover art. The artwork on this Eagles album and also their Greatest Hits album (1976) was done by famous American artist - Harold Boyd

Grammy Awards - This album bought home the first of 6 career Grammy Awards for the Eagles, when Lyin Eyes was awarded a Grammy for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal at the 18th Grammy Awards in 1976. This was their only win out of the 4 nominations that they got, that year.

First Pressing Identification - The original pressing (Elektra/Asylum catalog no. 7E-1039) had text engraved in the run-out grooves of each album side. On side-1 were the words "Don't Worry" and on side-2 "Nothing will be OK". The first pressing had 2 versions, one was in stereo and the other was in 4-channel quadraphonic surround sound

e1.jpge2.jpg

Listening to 'Hits from Tamil Films' LP.
Some of my favourite songs from this nice compilation LP.

This below song reminds me of the time when I was the secretary of the Tamil literary forum and organised various cultural activities during my higher secondary school years. The banner behind the singer says ' தமிழ் இலக்கிய மன்றம்' ( Tamil literary forum). Those were the days!!
IMG-20211103-WA0250.jpgIMG-20211103-WA0249.jpg

Happy Diwali, morning's listening: Private Dancer - Tina Turner (1984)
Inspired by FM Shafic, listening to Lionel Richie. It brought back memories of my high school days with all those great early to mid-80s pop stars like Michael Jackson, Madonna, Lionel Richie, Cindy Lauper, Tina Turner, Stevie Wonder and many more

Personal Trivia: I remember in those times, Doordarshan used to telecast a half hour Pre-Grammy show and a one hour Grammy Awards show the following week (these were the days of taped broadcast syndication). I recollect being mesmerized by the music videos of these stars during those times 1983 to around 1987. We used to get Grammy compilation cassettes in the pirated market every year and these were hot favorites. Around 1987, the flavour of pop music started changing, rap music started becoming popular and i started to lose interest. Then in 1988 I hit college and moved to Glam and Heavy Metal. All the CBS, Magnasound and pirated pop cassettes gathered fungus and ended up being thrown away and later on all these Pop records arrived, just for memory's sake and remained in the cupboard, not played too often. So thanks to FM Shafic, Tina Turner is singing again at home :)

This album was Tina Turner's 5th solo album, won 4 Grammy awards at the 27th Annual Grammy Awards ceremony in 1985 and sold 10 million copies, world wide. In 2020, the album was selected by the Library of Congress in the United States for preservation in the National Recording Registry for being culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.

for Hifivision vinyl enthusiasts - this pressing (Capitol Records, USA) sounds great on idler drive turntables, especially the bass drum and bass guitar

t1.jpgt2.jpg
t3.jpgt4.jpg

Last edited:
Happy Diwali, morning's listening: Private Dancer - Tina Turner (1984)
Inspired by FM Shafic, listening to Lionel Richie. It brought back memories of my high school days with all those great early to mid-80s pop stars like Michael Jackson, Madonna, Lionel Richie, Cindy Lauper, Tina Turner, Stevie Wonder and many more

Personal Trivia: I remember in those times, Doordarshan used to telecast a half hour Pre-Grammy show and a one hour Grammy Awards show the following week (these were the days of taped broadcast syndication). I recollect being mesmerized by the music videos of these stars during those times 1983 to around 1987. We used to get Grammy compilation cassettes in the pirated market every year and these were hot favorites. Around 1987, the flavour of pop music started changing, rap music started becoming popular and i started to lose interest. Then in 1988 I hit college and moved to Glam and Heavy Metal. All the CBS, Magnasound and pirated pop cassettes gathered fungus and ended up being thrown away and later on all these Pop records arrived, just for memory's sake and remained in the cupboard, not played too often. So thanks to FM Shafic, Tina Turner is singing again at home :)

This album was Tina Turner's 5th solo album, won 4 Grammy awards at the 27th Annual Grammy Awards ceremony in 1985 and sold 10 million copies, world wide. In 2020, the album was selected by the Library of Congress in the United States for preservation in the National Recording Registry for being culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.

for Hifivision vinyl enthusiasts - this pressing (Capitol Records, USA) sounds great on idler drive turntables, especially the bass drum and bass guitar

View attachment 63764View attachment 63765
View attachment 63768View attachment 63769
Excellent album Reuben
Thanks for sharing.
Here is my Tina Turner IMG-20211104-WA0165.jpgIMG-20211104-WA0173.jpg

Back