Vinyl I am listening to...

Listening to Monk/Trane, which included the classic 'Ruby My Dear'. Superb jazz. A fine recording too.
'Personal Trivia' brought back memories of SW& MW stations of our childhood in the seventies. Radio Australia was so clear on 13 m band in the afternoons, while Radio Kuwait broadcast contemporary English tunes on 19&25 m band from 1030 pm. Radio Ceylon, 25 m, in the mornings and evenings. AIR also had some lovely programmes, on MW. Thanks R.
On another note, 13 m band was mostly available on 4 band radios. Most other radios started with 16 m band!

Today's listening:

1) Pop Piano Favorites - Readers Digest Box Set (1967), RCA Release, Pressed in England

Record 1: Frankie Carle, His Piano and Rhythm Quintet
Record 2: The Dennis Wilson Quartet
Record 3: Douglas Gamely, His Piano and Orchestra
Record 4: The Twin Pianos of Wayne and Geraldi

Beautifully recorded and a very high quality pressing

LP1.jpg
LP2.jpg
LP7.jpg
LP4.jpg
LP5.jpg
LP6.jpg

2) Fuego Tropical - Christobal Chaves and His Orchestra (1964), GCOIL pressing of the highest quality

Brilliantly recorded Brazilian Samba-style Cha-Cha-Cha music. The bongos and bass guitar sound especially engaging with idler drive turntables. Not to forget the crisp and forthright trumpets and violins. Brilliant timing to the music. Very catchy and floor-tapping.

Trivia: If you listen to this album you will notice the source of inspiration for Bollywood music directors, the likes of Shankar-Jaikishen, Kalyanji-Anandji and R D Burman, especially with background scores for crime thrillers and detective movies (1960s and 70s Bollywood action pot-boilers) :)

LP8.jpgLP9.jpgLP10.jpgLP11.jpg

Note: the faded labels are an indication that the previous owner had cared for her/his records by subjecting them to submerged soap water washes :). The record is in EX condition.

Last edited:
Christmas is around the corner and come November, we bring out the Christmas records and make a start. As we reach thanksgiving, Christmas music plays almost all day, at our home.

Made a start today with Happy Holidays, Volume 16 (RCA, USA - 1981) a compilation album

Trivia: These were the usual $1 or $2 clearance sale records that could be found in record bins at record stores and large discount stores like K-Mart, in the United States, back in the 1990s. I got this from a similar bin at K-Mart, during a 2002 visit.

This pressing is surprisingly good for a $2 record :)

c1.jpgc2.jpgc3.jpgc4.jpg

I was so moved, at the age of 10, when I first heard Giorgio Moroder's "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone". My father had recorded the album in his Spool Tape from a borrowed LP.
We used to Mimic that synthesized sound during our play hours, without knowing/understanding , what Giorgio was pronouncing......
Then came another album to our house - Kraftwerk's Man Machine......The Drum Beat was more punchier than Georgio's and we fell in love with the "We are the Robots" song instantly.
Dad had a bigger SONY Speaker box by then and he used to play the "Man Machine" much louder and we used to make "ROBO" dance moves, from a different room, hidden away from his eyes....
When ever I play these (I play them at least once in a week).. the sound makes me feel like I am still 10....
Now, my son also loves it, even though he is a "Bob Marley" fan.

From Here to Eternity: Giorgio Moroder
giorgio%20morodor_zpsxzjvlkzm.jpeg

E=MC2 Giorgio Moroder
georgo%20emc2_zpsbynhrpy6.jpg

Kraftwerk:Man Machine
Kraftwerk-man%20machine_zpsoouvi9mz.jpg
Inspired by FM Anil Kumar, I dug out my E=MC² record and listening to it made me wonder how ahead of his times, Giorgio Moroder really was. He was one of those visionary producers who shaped the Disco Genre, with stars like Donna Summer. Its not for nothing that he is known as the "Father of Disco"

Today's final spin: E=MC² by Giorgio Moroder (1979), Polydor India Pressing
Pressing quality: Really good sounding, great bass and beats as one would expect from a Disco record
Album Trivia: This album is considered to be the first electronic live-to-digital album. The album was co-produced by Harold Faltermeyer (many may not recognize the name, it was he who composed the famous Top Gun anthem based on the rock guitar instrumental genre)

g1.jpgg2.jpg
g3.jpgg4.jpg

Listening to Monk/Trane, which included the classic 'Ruby My Dear'. Superb jazz. A fine recording too.
'Personal Trivia' brought back memories of SW& MW stations of our childhood in the seventies. Radio Australia was so clear on 13 m band in the afternoons, while Radio Kuwait broadcast contemporary English tunes on 19&25 m band from 1030 pm. Radio Ceylon, 25 m, in the mornings and evenings. AIR also had some lovely programmes, on MW. Thanks R.
On another note, 13 m band was mostly available on 4 band radios. Most other radios started with 16 m band!
I used to be a regular listener to Radio Australia in the 13m band during the late 80s and early 90s. I also used to follow the cricket live from Australia on the 13m band (including the 1992 cricket world cup). From my childhood in the 1970s, I have been listening to the Commercial Service of SLBC (formerly Radio Ceylon) in the 60m band late evenings until they played the Srilankan National anthem and shut down at 11pm. In the 70s we did not have TV and as Dad had night duty on weekdays (he was with DoT, Govt of India), mom used to play the radio in the evenings, after dinner we'd talk, laugh, sing and go to sleep under the brightness of a 40 watt incandescent lamp and a very bright Ferguson 454 tube radio dial :). Some lasting childhood memories.

Last edited:
Inspired by FM Premanand@mtp

Today's listening: Tattoo You - The Rolling Stones (1981), American Pressing
Personal Opinion: I've never been a fan of the Rolling Stones and but found this album quite listenable :)
Inner sleeve graffiti: The album was apparently gifted to a gentleman from New Delhi, and was part of his record collection which I acquired from him, when I used to live in New Delhi around 2004

s1.jpgs2.jpgs3.jpgs4.jpgs5.jpgs6.jpg

Today's Christmas Album: Tijuana Christmas - The Border Brass (1967) Pickwick Records, American Pressing
Personal Opinon: A very high quality pressing, Mexican-type Latin instrumental music with a 'lot' of trumpets
Album source: This is another 'dollar-bin' record which was gifted to me by one of my office American colleagues, as part of his mother's Christmas record collection, during an official trip to the United States in 2005

c1.jpgc2.jpg
c4.jpgc5.jpg

Heard two Hindi film LPs. "Leader" Lovely songs incl iconic "Apne azaadi ko hum" and "Tere Husn ke Kya Tarif Karun". Sadly the song" Ghar ghar diya jaale", picturised as a Diwali song with Vijyantimala, was not there. Second LP was " Parasmani" . Again nice songs.

Today's Christmas Album: Tijuana Christmas - The Border Brass (1967) Pickwick Records, American Pressing
Personal Opinon: A very high quality pressing, Mexican-type Latin instrumental music with a 'lot' of trumpets
Album source: This is another 'dollar-bin' record which was gifted to me by one of my office American colleagues, as part of his mother's Christmas record collection, during an official trip to the United States in 2005

View attachment 63891View attachment 63892
View attachment 63893View attachment 63894
You are on a role @reubensm

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back