Vinyl I am listening to...

Special mention should be made of Keith Forsey, on drums and percussion , who played on BoneyMs first three albums, and was a staple artiste on all Giorgio Moroder albums.
Thanks Murali.

Further, let's applaud Frank Farian /Fariam the singer, songwriter, composer and producer also. The male voice of Boney M is mostly Farian’s and Bobby Farrell only gives the “Lips” during performances.

Seems like, Frank Farian got inspired from the following well known folk songs, to write/compose the Rasputin song.

(RUSE KOSE CURO IMAŠ – Rada Manojlovic - a Serbian song)

Uskudar (Katibim)

Rasputin versions in disc:

45 RPM, Maxi-Single, Limited Edition, Hansa Records : 7 Minutes 32 Seconds - This is the best one to collect. (Just my view only, as I have listened to different versions of this song in Vinyl)
12" single 7:32 version
12" Single 7:32 Version -Cover

1st LP version : 6 Minutes 26 Seconds

2nd LP Version : 6 Minutes 03 Seconds

Subsequent versions : 5 Minutes 51 Seconds

7” single : (in general) 4 Minutes 43 Seconds and duration varies from one country to other pressings.

Last edited:
Calcutta had a group which did instrumental covers. Called 'Savages' this was a well known group in its time. I have an LP and it's nice. Somehow The Shadow reminded me of them. Thanks Murali.
The Shadows have accompanied Cliff Richard during his formative days, and this particular 20 Golden greats LP , though recorded in early 1960s, sounds near audiophile.

The Shadows have accompanied Cliff Richard during his formative days, and this particular 20 Golden greats LP , though recorded in early 1960s, sounds near audiophile.
I took out my Copy of The Shadows 'Greatest Hits', World Records WRLP-411-015. Black cover with Yellow lettering. It's a well recorded( and played!) mono pressing. Could not locate vintage. Prominent numbers are 'Apache', 'FBI', 'Kon Tiki' 'The Savage' and others.
Glad that we share a liking for these groups which many have consigned to history. I played this today!

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question but do people have a view on the recording quality of LPs from late 80s / early 90s. Like Tezaab, Tridev, Sadak, Dil etc. They cost a lot so am wondering if it will be worth it. They score very high on nostalgia and have great songs.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question but do people have a view on the recording quality of LPs from late 80s / early 90s. Like Tezaab, Tridev, Sadak, Dil etc. They cost a lot so am wondering if it will be worth it. They score very high on nostalgia and have great songs.
Of late, not thinking about Quality. Just on the yardsticks that someone decided to re-introduce vinyl , should have taken some pains to make it worthwhile. I have been picking up a few that I liked - a few( new ) every couple of months or so.
Trying my share to revive vinyl and encourage them :).

Hi,
Given the exorbitant price quoted by most of the online sellers, they are absolutely not worth just for sound quality.
However if one is ready to pay for nostalgia sake, then any price is justified.
I would say a price range of 800 - 1000Rs (maybe 1200 Rs if both the cover and record is NM) for the titles mentioned, in Ex condition, is a good deal.

Regards

Hi,
Given the exorbitant price quoted by most of the online sellers, they are absolutely not worth just for sound quality.
I would say a price range of 800 - 1000Rs (maybe 1200 Rs if both the cover and record is NM) for the titles mentioned, in Ex condition, is a good deal.

Regards
If it were around 1000 bucks it would have been a no brainer :) the sellers are quoting many times that. I guess its also a supply thing - there may not have been too many copies of LPs pressed and released late 80s / early 90s?

Of late, not thinking about Quality. Just on the yardsticks that someone decided to re-introduce vinyl , should have taken some pains to make it worthwhile. I have been picking up a few that I liked - a few( new ) every couple of months or so.
Trying my share to revive vinyl and encourage them :).
Hi, when you say new do you mean the new releases?

If it were around 1000 bucks it would have been a no brainer :) the sellers are quoting many times that. I guess its also a supply thing - there may not have been too many copies of LPs pressed and released late 80s / early 90s?
In my experience, the titles you mentioned have been regularly available in Kolkata 2nd hand record market.
Last time I bought a bunch of Hindi film records around 5 years back for an average of around 400Rs.
And that used to be the ballpark rate then at the brick n morter stores.
The emergence of various online sellers caused the unjustified price hike, IME.
Most of these online sellers (from Calcutta) collected the records from Wellington shops and sold them at double the price online as their personal collections. We have such examples here in HFV too.

Hi,

Regards
About 7-8 years back, I recollect having paid around 1200 for M (MRP-1200/-) for few Hindi, and around 3500/- for English imports.
Used - no comments - as grading is something I just cannot comprehend.

About 7-8 years back, I recollect having paid around 1200 for M (MRP-1200/-) for few Hindi, and around 3500/- for English imports.
Used - no comments - as grading is something I just cannot comprehend.
example.
1685854375574.jpg

Thanks. Cost of Hindi new pressings have been steadily increasing over the years I think - 1499, 1999, 2499, 2999...

I got into vinyl during covid. Based on conversations with people who have been collecting for decades, cost of old records have also shot up the last few years. Time will tell if this trend can continue

On another note, Madonna - Something to remember - great songs!

Attachments

• IMG_20230531_215138579~2.jpg
    IMG_20230531_215138579~2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 5
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back