Vinyl I am listening to...

Hi all,

Yesterday I had been to Mohan Music and picked up the following Vinyls though I do not have a TT yet! Thanks to Mr.Sridhar (Srikarkav) for giving the lead.

1. Kadalora Kavithaikal
2. Keladi Kanmani
3. Sippikkul Muthu
4. Kunkuma Chimizhu
5. Kathal Oviyam
6. Mannan
7. Chinnathampi
8. Salagai Oli
9. Aranmanai Kili
10. Walter vetrivel
11. Uzhaippali
12. Uthamaraza
13. Ilaiyaraja selected hits
14. Genteleman
15. Ek duje Keliye

I am also getting 25 Malayalam Vinyls from someone in Kerala by next week.

Now I need to clean this properly and store it till I get hold of a TT

rgds,
Venu

Hi Venu,
You seems to be liking Vinyl so much that you are buying even without having a T/T. This is really good but I want to caution you about buying them blindly without seeing their condition.
I also bought so many from so many sources. I even advertised in news paper to buy vinyl from someone who has the old stock lying somewhere in corner of his house waiting to be one day sold to waste collector (raddiwala).
Once the dust gets settled deep inside the grooves it is impossible to clean them. I had to throw more them 50 % of what i bought. And there are still so many lying to be cleaned and tested to check if they are usable.
Just a word of caution as these days Catridges are very sensitive and pickup groove noise very easily. And you must buy a MM catridge to listen to old records as MC will pick up noise much more then MM catridge

damn! something bad has happened. I can't play records well any more. I don't know what happened, but suddenly records are sounding crap, the tone arm is running wild on the player. When the record is playing, I can see the tone arm/ cartridge moving horizontally back and forth.
I guess the weight/ anti skating setting is screwed up, or worse, something else is badly screwed up.
My plan to play sat night fever didn't materialize.

regards

Hi anm
Check the stylus + cartridges connections, slight horizontal movement of tonearm is ok.

Yesterday I received my first shipment of new Vinyls. From the looks perspective they just look yummy. When played the Diana Krall vinyl I was just stunned with the sound quality.
VERLPI6831-Large.jpg

Its an amazing experience. I don't know how to put it the rawness of the string instruments and the attack of notes played in piano was superb and lastly the vocals are so lively. There is quite a bit of quality difference between a new vinyl and a old one but the value for money factor offered by the used vinyls is simply unmatched.
Thanks.

great! Do you have same songs on CD to compare?

Nopes. Actually this is first time I am listening to Diana Krall. I do have vinyls of ABBA and cds of Abba. Atleast in my equipment Vniyl beats cd hands down for the same song. The vinyl is used one.

Hi Mahiruha,

The Ray Charles is a great LP.

If you like it you should get the Box set

Ray Charles--The Complete Country and Western Recordings 1959-1986

I could not find it in Vinyl so bought the CD set.(Rhino Records)

His interpretation of the classic country songs is unique.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Venu,
And you must buy a MM catridge to listen to old records as MC will pick up noise much more then MM catridge

hi skr,

i'd beg to differ strongly on this :) most people even abroad have more old vinyl than new vinyl and this vinyl has been sitting in dusty shops too just like india. i have 99% of my collection as old vinyl. and i have a mc cart. unless the vinyl is really really really bad a good cleaning removes most of the dirt. what's your vinyl cleaning routine?

and on the contrary, a good mc cart with a slimmer diamond profile (elliptical for example) will access parts of the groove that have remained untouched with the general fatter rounder mm cart tips so you're more likely to get more music out :)

regards

MM carts are generally more forgiving of vinyl flaws, there is no doubt about that. However, MC carts are very good as well. Sure, they are more sensitive to picking up even small defects/dust particles etc, but they are far from being non-ideal.

Frankly, it's all in the execution and the system setup. As my analog rig was upgraded, older vinyl that was quite noisy, just became much better sounding. It was quieter and more musical, but that is because the mechanics of the system was improved upon (namely a periphery ring, center weight and a turntable mat).

Also, been listening to a bunch of Music Matters 45rpm LPs tonight. PLease IGNORE the "Out Of Print" banner on the artwork:

Kenny Drew - Undercurrent
BN4059_Undercurrent.jpg

Lou Donaldson - LD+3
BN4012_LD3.jpg

Art Blakey - A Night in Tunisia
BST4049_Tunisia.jpg

Tina Brooks - True Blue
BST4041_TrueBlue.jpg

Johnny Coles - Little Johnny C
BST84144_JohnnyC.jpg

Here's a snap of the records I listened to this evening. A very jazzy/rocky/folky evening!

From top left to bottom right as follows:

1) Joni Mitchell - Miles of Aisles Live (amazing record, great sounding live show from the 70s)

2) Grateful Dead - Shakedown Street (one of my fav dead lps. Very funky album)

3) Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge over Troubled Water (love this album. Been listening to it since childhood! Only living boy in New York is one of the best songs ever!)

4) Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame (amazing speed jazz/rock fusion from the mind of John McLaughlin. This is an indian press, but sounds really good IMO)

5) Neil Young - On the Beach (My favourite NY album. Worth it just for Ambulance Blues )

6) Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd - Jazz Samba (lovely record from the verve collection. Sounds fantastic!)

I'll post more from my next session :)

- Tek

Last edited:
well it would be really helpful if someone can tell me where to get good vinyls in kolkata????? the bands which i listen to are pink floyd, dire straits, dream theatre, porcupine tree, neil diamond, 9 inch nails, steelie dan, maroon 5. aerosmith, bon jovi, creed etc....

Porcupine tree vinyl is extremely difficult to come by even in the US. I strongly doubt you will have much of a chance in India.

Having said that, PT vinyl is mostly mastered with the native 24bit recordings that Steven Wilson makes. He is VERY CAUTIOUS of the sound and consistenly churns out quality productions. Definitely worth getting PT vinyl.

Most of them are extremely expensive out here, but one that is still in print and somewhat available is the mind blowing "We Lost The Skyline"

cover_124351392009.jpg

It's not that long, but the quality is right up there with the absolute best vinyl I have heard.

Take care and good luck vinyl hunting....SO MUCH FUN! :yahoo:

well it would be really helpful if someone can tell me where to get good vinyls in kolkata????? the bands which i listen to are pink floyd, dire straits, dream theatre, porcupine tree, neil diamond, 9 inch nails, steelie dan, maroon 5. aerosmith, bon jovi, creed etc....

Also, don't buy the used Dire Straits out there. They just got remastered and reissued and are EASILY worth double the $24.99 selling price right now. Just get them new and you won't look back. Even the normal Dire Straits albums were phenomenal sounding....the remastered versions are a different league.

If any wants LP'S I have a huge collection of the following artists.
The Eagles
Neil Diamond
Boney M
The Beethoven
ABBA
Cliff Richard
BEE GEES
Instrumental
Many many OST'S(Few are Gandhi,Saturday Night Fever)
Many Many more artists.
You can contact me at [email protected]

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back