Voltage Protection

subodh

I have got 3 doubts :-

1) I just got a new apartment few weeks back.. and I have setup separate line for (HT TV Projector XBox BDP) -> All these things I wanted to run with UPS.. so please suggest UPS alone is enough or should I put UPS + Stabilizer. If both than which should come first from

Main -> Stabilizer -> UPS -> my Equipment

OR

Main -> UPS -> Stabilizer -> my Equipment

I know I am in DIY but still can you suggest best brand for UPS and Stabilizer.. and wanted to make myself but I don't have any circuit knowledge and I want to protect my equipment as soon as possible.

2) I am looking to give protection to my full apartment as I have installed so many LED and other expensive lights. So what is the best and cheapest way to protect them all from voltage fluctuation.

Builder has provided 3KV per appartment for 2BHK.

3) how to calculate the load of stabilizer and UPS for my HT setup. I have below equipments, but all will be not running togather.

1) Sony LED 32" TV
2) YHT - 299
3) Samsung BDP
4) Epson 2000
5) X-box

many many thanks for your suggestions and help

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Voltage Protection

I would advise you to say no no to commercial stabilizers. If somebody has invested huge bucks and serious technology in making all these expensive eqipments like television and all, how come they dont know about the harmful voltage problems in the power line, and these stabilizer making super geeks only know all about them? bull shit! these cheap technology 'stabilizers' competing and protecting all those fast switching SMPS with their slow electromechanical relays? double bull shit.
the only good thing stabilizers have so far achived is helping their makers and sellers get rich. ( do you know what profit a retailer make from selling a Rs.20000/- television? merely 1000bucks. and for a Rs.2000 stabilizer? nearly 1000bucks! should there be a better reason for their pushing this good for nothing junk?)
I have been using TV, fridge and other electronics without this magical protection for nearly 25 years and I have never come across any mishaps other than periodical maintanance. But in my career of electronics repairing, I have come across numerous incidents where stabilizers caused serious damages to equipments which they are supposed to protect!
Yes they are a fad. a marketing gimmick. Dont waste your hard earned money on them.
If you are serious about voltage protection, VCCBs are available now. sort of voltage sensing and ELCB combination. they are fast, reliable and made using superior technology. Unlike cheap relays, VCCBs can protect your entire home. contact a classA electrical contractor. invest your money smartly.

There are two ways -
1. Voltage stabilisation : this means continuous regulation of mains voltage keeping it near desired output voltage.
2. Protection : cut off mains supply above and below threshold voltages, and during spike and noise on mains.

Where voltage is normal, I feel protection is required but not regulation as much.

I would advise you to say no no to commercial stabilizers. If somebody has invested huge bucks and serious technology in making all these expensive eqipments like television and all, how come they dont know about the harmful voltage problems in the power line, and these stabilizer making super geeks only know all about them? bull shit! these cheap technology 'stabilizers' competing and protecting all those fast switching SMPS with their slow electromechanical relays? double bull shit.
the only good thing stabilizers have so far achived is helping their makers and sellers get rich. ( do you know what profit a retailer make from selling a Rs.20000/- television? merely 1000bucks. and for a Rs.2000 stabilizer? nearly 1000bucks! should there be a better reason for their pushing this good for nothing junk?)
I have been using TV, fridge and other electronics without this magical protection for nearly 25 years and I have never come across any mishaps other than periodical maintanance. But in my career of electronics repairing, I have come across numerous incidents where stabilizers caused serious damages to equipments which they are supposed to protect!
Yes they are a fad. a marketing gimmick. Dont waste your hard earned money on them.
If you are serious about voltage protection, VCCBs are available now. sort of voltage sensing and ELCB combination. they are fast, reliable and made using superior technology. Unlike cheap relays, VCCBs can protect your entire home. contact a classA electrical contractor. invest your money smartly.

Even I would like to know some details about VCCB. Will they get tripped during a low voltage situation (lower than 185V) as well as during a high voltage situation (greater than 265V)? Which companies manufacture them? Can I replace my existing ELCB with VCCB?

Thanks,
John.

I just check that in my circuit board builder has installed Anchor's RCCB. Could not find VCCB over the google.. can you please provide any link or any further information on it. From where we can get this.

Please have a look on attached picture of my MCB.

Attachments

• 20140309_085117.jpg
    20140309_085117.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 159
Is VCCB same as ELCB? If so then avoid.
ELCB is the old name and often refers to voltage operated devices that are no longer available and it is advised you replace them if you find one. RCCB or RCD is the new name that specifies current operated (hence the new name to distinguish from voltage operated). The new RCCB is best because it will detect any earth fault. The voltage type only detects earth faults that flow back through the main earth wire so this is why they stopped being used. The easy way to tell an old voltage operated trip is to look for the main earth wire connected through it. A RCCB will only have the line and neutral connections.
Copied from yahoo answers.
At least V in VCCB appears to be related to the old voltage operated device.

G0bble

Last edited:
Is VCCB same as ELCB? If so then avoid.

Copied from yahoo answers.
At least V in VCCB appears to be related to the old voltage operated device.

G0bble

RCCB work like this. there is no earth connection. there are two coils in series with line and nutral, which are placed such that their magnetic flux cancel each other.when current is drawn from line through nutral as expected, there is no magnetic flux imbalance occurs. when somebody gets an electric shock, current flows from line to earth which causes a flux imbalance, (because that current dont flow through nutral line) in turrn trip the relay. VCCBs introduced now have this facility plus a upper and lower cutoff.

Installed rccb + mcb way back in 2002. After 20 years of trouble-free service, the electricity tripped couple of nights ago. Our electrician found 3 mcb burnt.
1662031780266.jpg

1662018560961.jpg
He advised replacing only 3 mcb. I insisted that he replace the entire set of mcb + rccb. Hopefully these will last a long time too 🤞🤞🤞
1662036312933.jpg
Should the rccb test button be used monthly to check device functioning? Is it advisable to use this device in addition to the above.
amiciSmart Over/Under Voltage, Over Current/Load Protection with Digital Energy Meter 63A, 230V DIN Rail Mounted https://amzn.eu/d/brork2Y

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back