Voltage stabilizer required?

gobble

Hello

Given Bangalore's erratic power fluctuations, would you recommend using a stabilizer for our expensive power amps and audio equipment?

The one on my fridge keeps dancing like disco lights frequently and I am scared for the new equipment I will purchase next week. Will a stab affect the purity of analogue ways ?

TIA

Hi,
If the power situation is terrible like u say you will need one. calculate total load and buy. What are the electronics that u intend to buy? Many similar threads here that u can browse thru for better understanding of this subject.

Hello

Given Bangalore's erratic power fluctuations, would you recommend using a stabilizer for our expensive power amps and audio equipment?

The one on my fridge keeps dancing like disco lights frequently and I am scared for the new equipment I will purchase next week. Will a stab affect the purity of analogue ways ?

TIA

I would suggest you to go for an isolation transformer than a stabilizer. You can get it done in SP road Bangalore if you give your requirements to the shops there.

Thanks,
Prakash

If there are fluctuations he needs a servo stabilizer. Power conditioning is a different issue. By all means buy a UIT but that wont correct voltage fluctuations.
Buy one from reputed brands where u will actually get what is stated. A 3 KVA Argo will easily take upto 3 KVA load. Some cheaper alternatives will not.
Get over/under voltage cut off and spike protector installed into stab. These are offered as optional,

Last edited:
I have just placed an order for the VERTEX 2KVA servo stabiliser - the one which has been souped up to audiophile standards. This is the one a lot of members on the forum have recommended! It cost me 11.5k inclusive of taxes and comes with 2 yrs on-site warranty.

If there are fluctuations he needs a servo stabilizer. Power conditioning is a different issue. By all means buy a UIT but that wont correct voltage fluctuations.
Buy one from reputed brands where u will actually get what is stated. A 3 KVA Argo will easily take upto 3 KVA load. Some cheaper alternatives will not.
Get over/under voltage cut off and spike protector installed into stab. These are offered as optional,

Duh! What is a UIT ? I will be using NADc235BEE + external DVD player adding a tube preamp a few months down the line. Consider a 24" LCD in the mix over the long -term.

Is 2KVA an overkill for that?

Cheers

I have just placed an order for the VERTEX 2KVA servo stabiliser - the one which has been souped up to audiophile standards. This is the one a lot of members on the forum have recommended! It cost me 11.5k inclusive of taxes and comes with 2 yrs on-site warranty.

11.5K for a stab?!! what is audiophile grade for a stab? Any links?
Why not use a regular stab like V-Guard or other local make?
TIA

Regards

Hi Gobble,

The price difference between say a 1.5 KVA and 2 KVA is not much so opting for the latter is a good idea. Ur set up may grow later so no need of upgrading the stabilizer. To summarize 2 KVA is not overkill. A UIT is an ultra isolation transformer.

Yes a good stab will cost 9/10/11 K. I have two 3 KVA Argo stabs which are very good and they cost about 11.5 K here in mumbai with a warranty.

There are some 3 KVA stabs available for even 4K but my guess is they are rubbish and wont actually be 3 KVA.

Souping to audiophile grade would mean a good (4 sq.mm) power cable(Finolex/Polycab), good sockets etc etc.

Remember to provide a 15 amp tripper for the 2/ 2.5/3 KVA stabs as the surge( on start up) in the line will make a lesser amp tripper drop.

One more question - If I instead procure a pure sine wave UPS with a back-up bypass electrical outlet, will I still get the benefits of a servo stab ? wondering if I should sell my 1KVA UPS and invest in a 1.5KVA pure sine wave UPS instead of a servo stab that costs almost the same. This wil serve my PC well too.

Regards

11.5K for a stab?!! what is audiophile grade for a stab? Any links?
Why not use a regular stab like V-Guard or other local make?
TIA

Regards

A couple of friends tested both - and apparently found the raw EB power cleaner that the output from the V-Guard!

Now before someone flames me I have three V-guard stabs in my house. About 6 months back my CRT blew for some reason - the stabiliser it was hooked to was strangely okay. I have since added a Panny Plasma to the stab and this time the stab blew (no bang- just stopped working) . Given my impending AVR upgrade decided not to scrounge and went with the advice found on the forum

Here you go ..

http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-accessories/356-voltage-issues-power-supply-inverters.html

Just curious. What would be the result if someone uses a under-capacity stabilizer? will it cause halrm to the HiFi equipments or the stabilizer just cuts off?

Hi,
Just browsing through, came across this post.
I have a spare Argo Servo 1KVA stabilizer, which I have not been using for sometime now, since I bought a UPS.
I can sell this if anyone is interested. I live in Mumbai, so the person will have to come and pick it up.

Hi. I'm new in India and know nothing about these stabilizers. (We don't have them in Norway). What is currently installed in almost every room of my flat is: Bluebird Electronic Voltage Correctors (4kva capasity, 170-280v inn/200-240v out). In addition I have a circuit board with automatic fuses.

Is this sufficient to protect my stereo? I do live in an upmarket neighborhood in New Delhi. If this makes my power supply more stable to begin with, I don't know.

Any advice is appreciated. Any experience with the Bluebird correctors?

Its good enough ........ no sweat.

BTW, voltage fluctuation is one of the nuances of the III rd world ... :p ... welcome it with open arms, inaddition to the load-shedding (power failures) during Delhi summers ....... :lol::mad:

Just curious. What would be the result if someone uses a under-capacity stabilizer? will it cause halrm to the HiFi equipments or the stabilizer just cuts off?

My sister connected room heater to spare plug of fully loaded stab. Stabilizer smoked and started melting the transformer windings inside. We were able to smell the burning of varnish and detect smoke before everything caught fire. This stabilizer was still working :mad: but did not dare to reconnect and measure its output.

You're not protected Morten. Generally those voltage converters will only ensure proper voltage, and not take care of spikes/surges which would blow up your solid state gear. Check with Malvai here he got a good online UPS double conversion so no harmful spikes get through. Also the sound quality will improve. Recommend you get it pronto. Costs about Rs 30,000.

Regards

You're not protected Morten. Generally those voltage converters will only ensure proper voltage, and not take care of spikes/surges which would blow up your solid state gear. Check with Malvai here he got a good online UPS double conversion so no harmful spikes get through. Also the sound quality will improve. Recommend you get it pronto. Costs about Rs 30,000.

Regards

Thanks.

Tried to PM him, but his PM-storage is full at the moment. Is such a device easily installed? I'm absolutely blank about these things

Hi Morten,

Yes the company selling it to you will install it, easily done. Also do check if your bluebird has surge protection first. ajay124 has a big thread on the forum. You can search for it using the search link on top right and read about how it was installed etc.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back