Want to buy a new Stereo system budget ~35k

tejas123

Hi,

I want to buy a new stereo system, budget is around 30-35k. Usage: Movies (50%), Music (mainly rock) (40%) and Games (10%). Had thought of couple of combinations but am not sure. I want to connect these speakers to my PC.

1. Audio Engines A5
2. Norge Amp + Whaferdale speakers

Let me know what other combinations should I look at before buying. Also is a passive bookshelf + Amp preferred over Active bookshelf ?

the other speakers to listen to are monitor audio bronze, kef iq series. ushers are very good at that price. and at the cost of being termed blasphemous take a listen to the bose 301's. i heard a setup recently and they were good.

You have 50% as movies requirement. No 2 channel setup will be good for movies without the SUB. So I'd say go with a 2+ 1 setup , For this you need to go for an amp with the SUB out option or connect the sub first and use the speaker out from SUB for bookshelfs...

You can look at something like this also.

DISCONTINUED ONKYO HTX22HD 2.1 HIGH DEFINITION DECODER/AMPLIFIER/SPEAKER SYSTEM - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/4162 for details

Good luck.

Thanks, will test out monitor audio bronze, kef iq series and ushers. Also which amp would you recommend for the above speakers. For 2+1 setup which sub would be recommended ?

Any place in Mumbai where I can test most of the mentioned names ?

Thanks, will test out monitor audio bronze, kef iq series and ushers. Also which amp would you recommend for the above speakers. For 2+1 setup which sub would be recommended ?

Any place in Mumbai where I can test most of the mentioned names ?

If you are looking for a 2.1 system (which can be used both for movies and music), do have a look at Lithos noa1 satellite-sub combination from Lithos. Google and get the address, they have a demo place in Bandra, Mumbai. The cost of sub-sat combo is about ~19K. You can add three other speakers later to make it a 5.1 system. These speakers have excellent reviews when used in stereo mode (2.1 instead of 2.0) with NAD amps. Do have a listen.

If you are looking for a 2.1 system (which can be used both for movies and music), do have a look at Lithos noa1 satellite-sub combination from Lithos. Google and get the address, they have a demo place in Bandra, Mumbai. The cost of sub-sat combo is about ~19K. You can add three other speakers later to make it a 5.1 system. These speakers have excellent reviews when used in stereo mode (2.1 instead of 2.0) with NAD amps. Do have a listen.

Which NAD Amp would you recommend to fit in the remaing budget of ~10-15k ?

Thanks.

Which NAD Amp would you recommend to fit in the remaing budget of ~10-15k ?

Thanks.

Few days back there were sales for used NAD amps in our forum. You might have missed them. Else new NAD 315 amp is at about 18K. I heard noa1 speakers go very well with Norge 1000 amp also. Talk to Mr. Bajaj in Lithos. He will be able to guide you.

I have TP20 amp, but I doubt if they would go well with lithos speakers.

My suggestion is go and listen as much as you can with an open mind and without bothering about the cost too much at this stage.

Do add a NAD C315BEE with PSB Alpha B1 to your list of auditions. You can demo this combination at our Mumbai Showroom. Please give us a call to fix up an appointment for a Demo, also do not forget to carry your own Music.

Ashish

Checked at Lakozy they just have PSB Image B5, they apparently told me the Alpha B1 are discontinued !! PSB Image B6 is expected in 15 days or so...
Will audition them once they come...

Checked at Lakozy they just have PSB Image B5, they apparently told me the Alpha B1 are discontinued !! PSB Image B6 is expected in 15 days or so...
Will audition them once they come...

Try the same image series with different amps... I found them sounding diff on each amp... Everyone sing about NAD+PSB combo , for a change I find even marantz is great pairing with PSB image series .. :)

Try the same image series with different amps... I found them sounding diff on each amp... Everyone sing about NAD+PSB combo , for a change I find even marantz is great pairing with PSB image series .. :)

Sure would try that, wherever I have read most of the PSB's are paired with NAD. Whats the difference between Image B5 & B6 series...

they apparently told me the Alpha B1 are discontinued !! ...

I think that there has been some mis-communication, PSB Alpha B1 is not discontinued but out of stock, they are one of the personal favourite of its Chief Designer Paul Smith Barton so how can they be discontinued. Have also confirmed the same with Priyesh Patel the owner of Lakozy Electronics Mumbai.

Ashish

Sure, I talked to Mr Mayur he told PSB Alpha B1 have been discontiued...Anyways when do you expect them to be restocked ?

Thanks

Last edited:
50% of movie usage, means you should have 5.1 speaker setup. With 2.1 combination, you will not get theatre expereince. Amp go for Denon 1611, 5.1 ch which is 3D ready, Dolby prologic IIz for wider sound dimension. price tag check with distributors.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back