Want to Upgrade to Windows 7 Professional

music

Hi,

I purchased one new laptop (Sony Vaio) recently with Win7 Home Basic loaded. Now the thing is, i want to upgrade the OS to Win7 Professional.

Pls. need your valuable suggestions. How can i upgrade to **GENUINE** Win7 Professional @lower cost??

Music.

IMHO, we should unnecessarily avoid the upgrade to Windows 8.
(Even if the upgrade is quite cheap and attractive!)
Let the reviews come first !!
Who knows yet...how good and convenient it would be to use Windows 8 as far as PC users are concerned. It can be good for Tablets and Mobiles, but for PC...Windows 7 is the best option so far...very well tested !

But, as Aakash asked...do you really have particular reason to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional ?

I heard from some of my friends that Win7 HB won't support VMWare and it's features and also i came to know from some of the sites that Win7 HB will not contain most of the features.
I will be mostly working with VMWare, where my application has been installed in that.
And apart from that i will be using it for internet (very rare) and music and movies.

And about Win8, i don't want to experiment with that until i receive some good reviews on that.
Yeah..i also heard the same offer (upgrade to Win8 pro) from the sony shop and also from the sony-vaio site.

I would also wait on the Win 8 upgrade. Win 7 Pro or Ultimate is very solid and really has been very good for me. Try and buy a license instead of a box copy because that will give you a better deal when you want to upgrade.

@music,
As far as I know, you will be able to downgrade Win 8 to win 7 pro, so 1st upgrading your win hb to win 8 at 699/- and then downgrading would be cheaper.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Please don't wait for Windows 8. I installed it on my laptop (in parallel with Ubuntu and Windows 7) the day it became available as "preview".

I don't like it. But it could be different for others. At best, it's a confused OS. Neither a desktop nor a mobile. The mobile UI was erratic and regular UI was hard to find as well as limited.

All IMO, YMMV.

One option I know is with upgradation DVD which we can buy (I saw in Flipkart).
Pls. let me know if you come across any offers on Win7 (whether it's in online or in any stores).

Also please opt for the 64-bit, as it lets you use RAM (esp for > 4 gb) more efficiently. If you happen to be a developer, you will find improved experience as win 7 tries retain artifacts in memory, rather than swap them out as and when you switch processes. It does swap around but does this only when it sees a need and is not hyper.

+1 for Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Its a breeze and a lot more stable than Vista. Also, both 32-bit and 64-bit applications run fine on it... though 64-bit applications have a bit more juice to them. Not all applications are available in 64-bit but the main ones like browser, email client, etc. are and the rest will depend on your work/requirements.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back