Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player - a HTPC replacement??

What is the best price I can get in Bangalore?. Any WD Dealers in bangalore , can some one share the contact details. I checked on SP Road the price is close to 6k inclusive of VAT.

You can check at Computer Warehouse at MG Road. But at best price, well that may not be!!

Currently I am using WD Media player 1st generation. It is working fine and since I have bought a 720p projector all I would need it do is play 720p movies for sometime in the future.

However I see a lot of threads about newer and more advanced media players such as Xtreamer prodigy etc with lots of extra features.

Thus I would like to know if excluding the extra features if we strictly talk about movie quality would I have any benefit if I upgrade the media player or the WD would do just fine in playing 720p movies?

Regards

Currently I am using WD Media player 1st generation. It is working fine and since I have bought a 720p projector all I would need it do is play 720p movies for sometime in the future.

However I see a lot of threads about newer and more advanced media players such as Xtreamer prodigy etc with lots of extra features.

Thus I would like to know if excluding the extra features if we strictly talk about movie quality would I have any benefit if I upgrade the media player or the WD would do just fine in playing 720p movies?

Regards

For watching 720p movies, your current player is enough. There is no need for upgradation.

most brrips have aac codec. check whether your player supports aac codecs.

Currently the setup is not ready so I coudnt test it live but I did some research on google and I guess it does support AAC codec.

Also I guess it can passthrough DTS through Optical and since I would be buying a home theatre also which can process DTS it should do the job?

Friends,... those who own the "WD TV Live" or "Live+" or "Hub", can you kindly enlighten me if the basic model plays 1280p videos properly. Are there any difference in the picture quality/processing power/UI among these versions of WD? Also can any of the above models play a BlueRay ISO file? Does it support "Dolby TrueHD" and "DTS-HD Master Audio"?

I was considering buying the ASUS Oplay, but recently heard that the picture quality is not as good as WD, so I'm seriously thinking of moving to WD.

Last edited:
I bought it from letsbuy.com. with 5% discount on top of their price 5450/- :yahoo:
Hi how is this WD TV lipe plus media player working..
M planning to buy in a day or two.. I just want to know does it supports HDMI version 1.3 or 1.4. And the HDD which we can connect.. Does this media player recognizes NTFS, FAT32 and all or not..

So far I found only Xtreamer prodigy to have the HDMI 1.4 , and it is still to be launched. Check out the specs of Himedia 600B and Popcorn hour A210.

Hi Guys,
I bought my WD TV Live Plus HD Media player recently. I actually was in Canada for sometime and got it for C$89+ tax (in total i think about 100 bucks). This would come up at about 4.5K INR.
I have not had a lot of time to test it though. Played Rio and a couple of FLACs. The pic and sound quality has been satisfactory so far.
I will post a more detailed review soon.

Thanks,
Shail

I personally think that the Asus O!Play is better because It downmixes the DTS audio, and further it has the advantage of using DVD menu structure also, which is lacking in WD TV.

Hi Folks,
Few questions regarding WD TV Live Plus, from reading some of the sites (1) on in the net it seems that they WD have introduced (online radio) "tune in" app support in their new firmware update (2).
Wanted to know if anyone in India has update their device and has been able to use this new app?

I am looking for a device with features similar to "WD TV Live plus" and also ability to listen to online radio stations (and optionally podcasts).

Thanks
Gaurav

(1)Western Digital adds TuneIn Radio to WD TV players | Crave - CNET
(2)WD update site

Last edited:
Back