Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player - a HTPC replacement??

Hi Folks,
Few questions regarding WD TV Live Plus, from reading some of the sites (1) on in the net it seems that they WD have introduced (online radio) "tune in" app support in their new firmware update (2).
Wanted to know if anyone in India has update their device and has been able to use this new app?

I am looking for a device with features similar to "WD TV Live plus" and also ability to listen to online radio stations (and optionally podcasts).

Thanks
Gaurav

(1)Western Digital adds TuneIn Radio to WD TV players | Crave - CNET
(2)WD update site

hm.. anyone...?

Good Evening Experts,

I am planning to purchase the WD TV Live with 1TB Storage, however would like to know whether i can connect it to my Sony Home Theatre (DAV-DZ640K) for audio and to Samsung 4 Series LCD TV for video. Also what are the points i need to consider while i am connecting it to the Sony Home Theatre.

You can connect the palyer to your TV using HDMI. For audio, please check whether your HTIB has optical or coaxial input.

What are the alternatives - in India and in the US? Some friends coming over so can ask them to get some light stuff.

regards

So far I found only Xtreamer prodigy to have the HDMI 1.4 , and it is still to be launched. Check out the specs of Himedia 600B and Popcorn hour A210.

Guys Xtreamer Prodigy is available: Has anybody ordered yet?

Features at a glance:

• Next-Generation RTL Chipset 1186
  • 512MB DDR3 Memory
  • USB 3.0
  • 3.5 HDD upto 3TB (not included)
  • RealD 3D movies support
  • OpenGL ES2.0
  • Google Android 2.2 Dual boot (in future firmware)
  • Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000
  • Internal Jukebox (poster-based navigation)
  • 1080p MKV support with header less compression and 16ref
  • HD Audio with 7.1 CH Passthrough
  • Adobe Flash
  • Faster read/write speed
  • Web Browser with wireless mouse & keyboard support
  • CardReader
  • Internal 802.11n 300Mbps, Mini PCie Wireless LAN
  • Internal Passive cooling - fanless
  • Optional DVB-t Tuner
  • Google Android Dual booting in future update

Good Evening Experts,

I am planning to purchase the WD TV Live with 1TB Storage, however would like to know whether i can connect it to my Sony Home Theatre (DAV-DZ640K) for audio and to Samsung 4 Series LCD TV for video. Also what are the points i need to consider while i am connecting it to the Sony Home Theatre.

WDTV live hub has optical and HDMI output. If what I read here is true, your HT neither has a digital audio input nor HDMI. So there's no way you can enjoy surround experience with any external source other than the HT player itself (unless your TV has optical output).

If I am right, indeed it is sad that Sony makes expensive products with least connectivity/ flexibility (sorry to say that).

I had a Philips LX600 (without player) bought 7 years back, it had both optical and coaxial input.

Thanks Santy and baijuxavior,

Checked the received for my Sony HT, unfortunately it does not have any additional source other than TV/DTH input, so if i have to play WD TV Live that it would be only through an AUX input :sad:

Guys, thinking of importing a WDTV Live Hub from the US. Just wanted to check the voltage range on the device? Is it universal voltage 110-240?

Anyone has impressions on the xstreamer prodigy? comparisons with the WDTV lIve hubn etc?

Mad , you do not need a voltage converter. Anyways if you are planning to import from USA I 'd recommend you import popcorn-hour A300 or 210 versions.

Mad , you do not need a voltage converter. Anyways if you are planning to import from USA I 'd recommend you import popcorn-hour A300 or 210 versions.

can't find these models on Amazon. pros & cons vs. the WDT Live Hub?

Hi Friends thanks info

Please suggest which is best one out of these 2 players.My usage is 30 % Streaming and 70% downloaded HD content on seagate 1 TB USB Drive.

a. WD TV Live Streaming Media Player - costs 99$
b. SONY SMP-N100 Costs 50$

Thanks in advance
Boyireddy

Hi Friends thanks info

Please suggest which is best one out of these 2 players.My usage is 30 % Streaming and 70% downloaded HD content on seagate 1 TB USB Drive.

a. WD TV Live Streaming Media Player - costs 99$
b. SONY SMP-N100 Costs 50$

Thanks in advance
Boyireddy

WDTV Live.

I dont want to create a new thread for a simple question so i posted in this thread as its related to WD media players

I have a WD Gen-2 media player, i want to add hindi subs to some files, i jus put the.srt files in movie foldfers but while playing the movie not ablr to see any subs while selecting the sub in option it says no subtille...

please help as its important to add hindi subs to english movie from now on to watch.

Thanks in advance

I dont want to create a new thread for a simple question so i posted in this thread as its related to WD media players

I have a WD Gen-2 media player, i want to add hindi subs to some files, i jus put the.srt files in movie foldfers but while playing the movie not ablr to see any subs while selecting the sub in option it says no subtille...

please help as its important to add hindi subs to english movie from now on to watch.

Thanks in advance

Got it thanks needs to name the srt file same as the video file.

any help with good website for downloadinbg hindi subs for english movies will be great help thanks

Hi,

For WD live hub, one of the review mentioned under pros(+) that,

TrueHD bitstreaming and WMA(Pro) decode work fully

does it mean i can get 7.1 sound output if my avr supports full HD audio decode:)?

under cons it is mentioned that,

For a flagship product, WD should have tried to provide full HD audio bitstreaming / Blu-Ray ISO support / advanced media streamer features

does it mean, 7.1 output will not be available even if avr supports HD master audio decoding:sad:?

I am confused here ..

Hi guys,

I need help, Earlier I had WD Media player (First gen), now its gone kaput, remote not working, i wanted to change it earlier also since it stopped playing recent mkv files.

Now coming to the point, i am going to buy new media player, budget is within 10-12k.

Please suggest a media player for my following requirements:

1. I dont want 3D playback.
2. Excellent picture quality.
3. Minimal audio playback.
4. Will be connecting it with Yamaha RX-V463 receiver (DTS capable).
5. Will watch on Panasonic Plasma 42 inches.

So mainly i want good picture quality and good interface. Like movie details etc.
No HTPC please. Was thinking of WD Live (3rd Gen)

Regards

Back