Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player - a HTPC replacement??

Hi,

I have panasonic P50st30d plasma tv. I am watching HD movies by connecting Seagate Freeagent 1TB external HDD... majority of the mkv format movies playing well, some giving problem giving errors like format not supported and some just giving blank screens, all mp4 movies are playing but no sound.

Do i need media player to resolve this issue?

I am getting WD TV Live plus media player @ Rs.6550/- @ lamington, is this price is ok?

Do i need HDMI cable for media player to connect TV?

Hi,

I have panasonic P50st30d plasma tv. I am watching HD movies by connecting Seagate Freeagent 1TB external HDD... majority of the mkv format movies playing well, some giving problem giving errors like format not supported and some just giving blank screens, all mp4 movies are playing but no sound.

Do i need media player to resolve this issue?

I am getting WD TV Live plus media player @ Rs.6550/- @ lamington, is this price is ok?

Do i need HDMI cable for media player to connect TV?

Panasonic does not play some files. I am also using media player for such files. Price is OK for this player.

Yes, you required HDMI cable. don't go for expensive one. You will get the same at Lamigton road for 150Rs.

What is the difference between WDTV and WDTV live hub? I found WDTV live hub comes with inbuilt 1 TB HDD. I feel it ll be better if we have HDD and Media player together. I also planning to buy from Amazon as it comes around 10K including tax.

guys already received the product. Its brilliant. I am amazed by the shipping time. Orederd on 20th of this month, that too after 2 PM, and it reached me on 24th at 5 PM that too to Patiala (City). its blazing fast considering the shipping dayz include Saturday & Sunday.

If you guys want proof, lemme know, I will post AWB number of DHL, you can check yourselves.

What is the shipping method you chose? Was it delivered before the estimated time? My doubt is you have chosen Standard Shipping which takes 11-17 days , how you got in 4 days?

Last edited:
guys already received the product. Its brilliant. I am amazed by the shipping time. Orederd on 20th of this month, that too after 2 PM, and it reached me on 24th at 5 PM that too to Patiala (City). its blazing fast considering the shipping dayz include Saturday & Sunday.

If you guys want proof, lemme know, I will post AWB number of DHL, you can check yourselves.

What is the model u have got? It is NTSC or PAL ? Only NTSC model is available in amazon.com. Is the NTSC model can be used with out any problem?

I need some advice. A friend of mine is coming down from USA. I have narrowed down wd tv live $89 and Sony smp n200 $40. Quite a price difference. I basically need to play my mkv and xvid files from hard disk & USB. Most of the features like vudu, pandora, Netflix etc are useless in India. I would like to stream YouTube videos and watch them on my tv. And can one adjust the movie file format to match the tv. Like as in. 4:3 and 16:9 so that the black bars are reduced. There are some players in amazon that are based on the newer realtek 1186 chipset that claim to do 3d and 7.1, but none of them under $100 which is my budget. Are these worth the price? He finds it convenient to just go to a shop and pick it up from say best buy, target, walmart etc. So the option gets limited to the few known brands, I see a lot of roku, but have no idea of it's quality or functionality. Some here swear by ASus, but have not seen them in the mainstream shops in USA. I need help fast as I have to tell him by tomorrow morning. The more I search around the more confusing it gets. Thanks.

There is an option to change to ntsc or pal in the settings.

If there is an option (both NTSC and PAL) , why they have listed separate models in their website? simply curious to know is there any hardware wise difference. Heard that problem will arise when we try to play a video content through Composite output in a CRT or SD TV.

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy WD TV Live from Amazon. One of my friend will pick it up in US. Do I need to buy a step-down transformer separately?? Or will the AC Adapter work just fine in India?

Thanks
Raghav

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy WD TV Live from Amazon. One of my friend will pick it up in US. Do I need to buy a step-down transformer separately?? Or will the AC Adapter work just fine in India?

Thanks
Raghav

Just buy and use here .. No need to buy anything extra .. .enjoy WDTV

hey guys!!

can you suggest what is better:-
1) buying a combo nas + media player like WD HUB?
2) buying a media streaming box(like WD LIVE etc) and a 1 TB usb hard drive and connecting it to WD live and use it as a NAS and media server?
3) some other setup which can fulfill my requirement in the same price range.

i am a very basic user, i just want a NAS and a media streamer (which can play all major formats) which i will connect to my av receiver and projector. So my major concern is the transfer speeds(all transfers will be wireless) i would get while transferring movie files from the laptop. i currently have a CISCO LINKSYS EA 4500 ROUTER which supports upto 450 mbps but i would be getting 300mbps because of the laptop wifi adaptor limitation.
as i said earlier i am a very general user and would be focusing on only playing movies and watching photos on the projector. i probably wont be using any of the online streaming services.

any and every help would be highly appreciated

Can someone guide on a query previously asked 'are the ntsc & pal models different?' . If WD TV live hub is purchased from amazon US, can it be used as is (plug & play) in India or we need a transformer or anything?

Thanks

Can someone guide on a query previously asked 'are the ntsc & pal models different?' . If WD TV live hub is purchased from amazon US, can it be used as is (plug & play) in India or we need a transformer or anything?

Thanks

Am I missing something here? My understanding is that WD TV is a media player and can not be used for connecting to Cable TV or Satelite Dish. Hence the qustion regarding NTSC or PAL is not applicable.
Would like to be corrected by other membersif I am wrong.

@sudeep_s
The WD TV media player has a power supply rated for 110-240 V. So you don't need a transformer. However, the model bought in US will have flat prongs on the power supply. You need to buy a flat prong to round pin adapter to use it in India. MX dealers can supply this at about Rs.20.

@jagdeesh_p
You do not connect the WD TV media player to either the satellite box or cable tv box. It is directly connected to your TV thru either the HDMI connector or the AV (RCA) connectors. Since most TVs sold in India at present have auto function for NTSC/PAL, it should not make a differance.

If we are buying it from US, do we need to buy a PAL version or NTSC version will also do ? I have 32" LG LCD TV and I wish to connect it to my Denon 1713 thru HDMI..So that it can play 5.1 surround and Dolby DTS too..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back