Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player - a HTPC replacement??

Does this WD live play HD movies size from 4gb to 16gb or higher size flawlessly (stored on laptop)..?

Yes, I have tried playing files from 4GB to 12 GB. It performs well!
Thanks a lot m.a.sara, but your signature indicates you have WD live Hub,and you might be playing movie from its internal Hard disc..i am planning to buy WD live which will play movies stored on my laptop as well as my 3Tb HDD thru wifi.hence I am worried about its performance on wifi for large movie files..

I have connected my external HDD via USB to WD and played ripped movies(upto 12GB). Performance is same as that of playing via internal HDD :)
Wifi I have'nt used, experts can comment.

For many movies.. I am unable to hear the dialogue clearly while the sound effects and bgm are pretty loud. Should I tinker with audio settings in my WD TV or Denon1612. Or just that the downloaded movie is encoded with multi channel audio. How do I correct this without a CS.

I have a denon 1612 + Polk TSi400s.

Thanks
Rags

Thanks a lot m.a.sara, but your signature indicates you have WD live Hub,and you might be playing movie from its internal Hard disc..i am planning to buy WD live which will play movies stored on my laptop as well as my 3Tb HDD thru wifi.hence I am worried about its performance on wifi for large movie files..

Performance will depend on the wifi router and its signal strength where WD TV and Laptop are located.

For many movies.. I am unable to hear the dialogue clearly while the sound effects and bgm are pretty loud. Should I tinker with audio settings in my WD TV or Denon1612. Or just that the downloaded movie is encoded with multi channel audio. How do I correct this without a CS.

Thanks
Rags

If you are using television's speakers, the center channel is not blended well enough to make out dialogues clearly. I think using the component out might fix this as that has the audio down mixed to two channel.

Thanks
Rags

Adding a center channel will improve dialog quality considerably. For now you can set the avr in 2.0 mode. Also check if there is any setting in your player that downmixes 5.1 to 2 channel and boosts audio.

Any idea whether WD TV Live (not hub) can pass through DTS HD MA & Dolby Tru HD over HDMI?

Also I am planning to purchase the same through grabmore.com at Rs.7999/-. Is the good price?

Anyone know if I can get it less than this then please pass me a link.

vilwearsprada

Re: Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player - a HTPC replacement??
Not a Good price, was last quoted 6.5k in Gurgaon

Can you give me the name & number of the dealer please, so that I contact him.

But what I have seen is the price of the WD TV live are between 8-9K all over the internet including ebay.in, do not understand why.

Secondly can anyone tell me whether it can pass through DTS-HDMA/Dolby TruHD over HDMI or not?

Reliance Digital is selling it for 6900. You may also get some discounts on the price. WD TV Live won't DTS HD MA but supports Dolby Tru HD over HDMI

Last edited:
Hi friends,
I will be getting my WD live in first week of march from US..I have one Mac book pro, one desktop PC running on Windows 7 and a Sony Vaio laptop running on Windows 7 too.I am little bit confused about connecting it to my Macbook thru wifi..I am planning to connect WD live via ethernet cable to my router switch.Will I need any server to be installed on my Macbook pro ( or even windows PC or laptop) to get it connected to WD live thru wifi..? If yes, which is the best free server..and how to configure it..?

Friends plz guide me..

Can you give me the name & number of the dealer please, so that I contact him.

But what I have seen is the price of the WD TV live are between 8-9K all over the internet including ebay.in, do not understand why.

Secondly can anyone tell me whether it can pass through DTS-HDMA/Dolby TruHD over HDMI or not?

Paras Information Technologies , DLF City Phase 4 , Gurgaon
Mobile : +919810168555, 01244044068.

Hi friends,
I will be getting my WD live in first week of march from US..I have one Mac book pro, one desktop PC running on Windows 7 and a Sony Vaio laptop running on Windows 7 too.I am little bit confused about connecting it to my Macbook thru wifi..I am planning to connect WD live via ethernet cable to my router switch.Will I need any server to be installed on my Macbook pro ( or even windows PC or laptop) to get it connected to WD live thru wifi..? If yes, which is the best free server..and how to configure it..?

Friends plz guide me..

You will not need ethernet cable to connect your WDTV. If your router is wireless,you can directly connect it to WDTV Live as it's wifi-ready i.e. no dongles required.

You will not need ethernet cable to connect your WDTV. If your router is wireless,you can directly connect it to WDTV Live as it's wifi-ready i.e. no dongles required.
Thanks a lot Kneo..Will I require any media server to be installed on my Macbook Pro OR Windows PC ? If yes which is best server for Mac and Windows ? How will get connected to both for playing music and HD movies ?

Hello All,

Is the WD TV Live still in production? I scoured the whole of Lamington Road in Mumbai but to no avail.

Anyone know of any place where i can get one in Mumbai and the tentative price?

Thanks,

Prads D.

I have a question about WD TV Live Hub.
I heard that we can put custom firmware and that will enable torrent download.
Question is does that torrent application have support for scheduling of downloads?
e.g. automatically start download and stop download at a pre-determined time.

Back