What is a Blue ray player, and why do i need it?

nicenicenicee

Hi All,
May be i am asking a too stupid question, but i am wondering, that in today's world where you can download anything from internet (for that matter divx...etc .etc.... ) have all sort of software players along, which with help of basic computing capabilities of a PC allows you to play anything.
For what purpose i need to buy another player.

What are the additional features a BD player delivers, which can not be simulated by my laptop with help of a software?

thanks for helping me learn.

Regards

Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Should answer your question about the technology and the player.

You don't need a Blu-ray player if you are happy with what you have. Unfortunately, many want more and are willing to spend for the additional PQ and SQ, which a HD TV and a Blu-ray player with a HT affords them.

PS - If you have a car or a bike you might want to ask yourself why you want them? A bus will perfectly take you wherever you want/have to go... so why spend more on a bike or a car and then keep spending even more on fuel?

Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Should answer your question about the technology and the player.

You don't need a Blu-ray player if you are happy with what you have. Unfortunately, many want more and are willing to spend for the additional PQ and SQ, which a HD TV and a Blu-ray player with a HT affords them.

PS - If you have a car or a bike you might want to ask yourself why you want them? A bus will perfectly take you wherever you want/have to go... so why spend more on a bike or a car and then keep spending even more on fuel?
Hi Musicbee,
i got your logic,
now can you elaborate what a BDP delivers extra? which my PC/software combination can not deliver today?

Regards

Hi Musicbee,
i got your logic,
now can you elaborate what a BDP delivers extra? which my PC/software combination can not deliver today?

Regards
Interesting and amusing analogy of car/bike vs. bus. But very apt. BTW, it is blu-ray and not blue-ray - a very common mistake though.

If one is satisfied with downloads (basically pirating) then you do not need a blu-ray player (BDP). People like me (please don't call me high-handed and "holier-than-thou" :)) are interested in real quality PQ, HD sound, convenience, etc. Plus, I do not have the patience to download. I buy original BDs and a BDP is a natural choice for me - in fact I have two at home plus a DVDP as well.

Regarding computer vs. BDP, I cannot honestly comment. If one has an HTPC with a BD-ROM, then I would say that a BDP is not required. However, there are FMs here such as spirovious who say that BDPs do a better job of upscaling than HTPC. HTH.

Hi Musicbee,
i got your logic,

Regards

Background - I have WDTV, HTPC, PS3 and a Blu-ray player (Oppo).

I use the Blu-ray player the most because it delivers the best quality. I have an Oppo so its strength is its upscaling and PQ and I cannot say that all Blu-ray players deliver the same PQ, but Oppo is definitely ahead of anything else I've seen. HTPC can nearly match the Blu-ray player and also offers more convenience but tends to get hot and also can be noisy.

PS3 is also excellent but till recently did not handle 3D and HD Audio and that's the reason I had gone for a Blu-ray player... otherwise might have been happy with PS3 + HTPC. However, a Blu-ray player is easier to operate for many (like my tech challenged parents) who do not like switching on a PC and navigating the folders or even using XMBC (which I also did not like).

In terms of performance, a Blu-ray player apart from better PQ also offers additional functionality like BD-Live, Bonus View, frequent firmware updates, etc. Other players like media players and HTPC don't have full menu support (or will be losing it very soon) and only Blu-ray players will have this functionality... and some people like to have it.

Also, BD-Live offers trailers of upcoming movies, games, director/actor commentary track, ability to communicate with other members (message boards), etc. Some people like these additional features and some don't but they are only available with a Blu-ray player.

Go for Blu Ray only if you appreciate and can tell the difference between SD and HD quality....or else stick to DVDs......I know a lot of people who hardly appreciate the HD quality of Blu ray.........

buy a blu ray player if you do have a plan for renting or buying blu ray disks and if you do have a screen at least 40 inch or larger.....
otherwise original dvds are real good enough....

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back