What kind of XLR Cable I would need

Vivek Batra

Dear FMs

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question but being a newbie my knowledge in hi fi is still very limited. I am soon going to buy some equipment and want to use XLR interconnects between DAC to Amp and SACD to Amp. I am sharing some pictures from the shortlisted models (all from Luxman).

My confusion is, on the amplifier, there are two balanced inputs Line 1 and Line 2 and one connector each for left and right channel in total 4 XLR connectors. But on the DAC and the SACD player there is only one XLR output connector for left and right channel. What does it mean ? or I am completely wrong here?

With my very little knowledge I know that, balanced interconnects are good at noise cancellation and better than RCA only when all the equipment are balanced as well.

Hope this makes sense.

Integrated Amp : L-590 AX II
DAC : DA-250
SACD : D-05u (As per Specs fully balanced circuit)

Thanks
Vivek

Attachments

• SACD.png
    SACD.png
    477.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DAC.png
    DAC.png
    305.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Amp.png
    Amp.png
    746.6 KB · Views: 24
The connectors on the DAC and SACD player are outputs and the connectors on the amp are inputs. You can connect the sacd and dac to the amp., and choose which one you want to play with a source selector knob.
Cheers,
Sid

The connectors on the DAC and SACD player are outputs and the connectors on the amp are inputs. You can connect the sacd and dac to the amp., and choose which one you want to play with a source selector knob.
Cheers,
Sid
Thanks for some enlightenment :) . So in this case the XLR cable should be like one connector on the output side and two connectors at the input side? Something like stereo to RCA cable?

Thanks for some enlightenment :) . So in this case the XLR cable should be like one connector on the output side and two connectors at the input side? Something like stereo to RCA cable?
Not really, left and right separate.
You have 4 output connections from the SACD player and DAC (2 on each) and corresponding 4 input connections on the amp.
Cheers,
Sid

Not really, left and right separate.
You have 4 output connections from the SACD player and DAC (2 on each) and corresponding 4 input connections on the amp.
Cheers,
Sid
There is only one output connector per channel on dac and SACD that's the confusing part

I am forming a non-consensus view here - I tried a number of XLRs, which are reputed and have been judged to be very good in different systems. This with a CD Player (Marantz SA-10) that is supposed to be preferably used in Balanced mode. And into an amplifier that has a fully balanced internal circuitry (Accuphase E-450). My humble $5 Radio Shack RCA beat them all. For now, my experimentation has stopped. If you feel like laughing you can visit with your XLR and check it out.

There is only one output connector per channel on dac and SACD that's the confusing part
Yes, for example DAC has 1 output connector for left channel and 1 out put connector for right channel so you get a pair of XLR connectors connect the left channel of DAC to left channel input on amplifier (line 1 or line 2) and same for right channel.
Cheers,
Sid

I am forming a non-consensus view here - I tried a number of XLRs, which are reputed and have been judged to be very good in different systems. This with a CD Player (Marantz SA-10) that is supposed to be preferably used in Balanced mode. And into an amplifier that has a fully balanced internal circuitry (Accuphase E-450). My humble $5 Radio Shack RCA beat them all. For now, my experimentation has stopped. If you feel like laughing you can visit with your XLR and check it out.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Well I am not debating XLR vs RCA for now but just want to be clear and understand few things before spending my money. Just don't want to be in any kind of confusion and be surprised later. That's the only intent, otherwise RCA is always around :)

Yes, for example DAC has 1 output connector for left channel and 1 out put connector for right channel so you get a pair of XLR connectors connect the left channel of DAC to left channel input on amplifier (line 1 or line 2) and same for right channel.
Cheers,
Sid
Ok that's fine. Then what are the other two connectors are there on the amp? At the bottom row? Or am I sounding totally stupid here?

Ok that's fine. Then what are the other two connectors are there on the amp? At the bottom row? Or am I sounding totally stupid here?
Consider this - If you connect SACD and DAC to the amplifier at the same time - how many cables will you use? 4 total (2 for DAC and 2 for SACD). If you connect just SACD or just DAC you will use 2. So if you use both devices you will connect 4 cables to the amplifier, else you will use only 2. You can use only 1 device at a time to listen, so there will be a source selector on the amp.
Cheers,
Sid

Consider this - If you connect SACD and DAC to the amplifier at the same time - how many cables will you use? 4 total (2 for DAC and 2 for SACD). If you connect just SACD or just DAC you will use 2. So if you use both devices you will connect 4 cables to the amplifier, else you will use only 2. You can use only 1 device at a time to listen, so there will be a source selector on the amp.
Cheers,
Sid
I appreciate your patience to explain me. I got it now. Upper (left) and lower (right) make Line 1 and Line 2. This is so stupid of me. Thanks a lot.

@Vivek Batra : just like unbalanced RCA cables, balanced XLRs work in pairs - one each for right and left channels. So you can connect two balanced input pairs to your amp, and your DAC and CDP will each have one balanced output pair.

Bottom row connectors are RCAs? If yes, they are for unbalanced in and outs.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back