What screen size and aspect ratio?

Naturelover

Staff member
Hi all

Seeking advice on screen size and aspect ratio (16:9 / 2.35:1 / 2.4:1) for my upcoming home theatre likely to be ready by end Jan.
I am presently leaning towards 130 inch 16:9.

Current projector is a 1080p Epson EH-TW8100 which has a native aspect ratio of 16:9.

Room size is 23.5 x 14 x 11.5 feet. Viewing distance is likely to be around 14 to 15 feet.

Resolution limited to 1080p for now at least. Old movies, OTT, etc in the mix. Some 4:3 also.

Planning for DIY spandex fixed AT screen (courtesy elangoas’s thread) with all fronts behind the screen.

Thanks in advance.

Viewing distance is likely to be around 14 to 15 feet.

Great.. Given your 14 ft room width, you should be able to do at-least 150 inch diagonal 16:9, matching the projectors native aspect ratio.. Will help for widescreen as wall as 4:3 content..

Planning for DIY spandex fixed AT screen (courtesy elangoas’s thread) with all fronts behind the screen.

it will be really good to have L-C-R at the same height as your ear level.. With such huge screen size, when the sound moves from (or) to either side of the screen, that would be nice..

To do 150 inch AT screen, you may mostly need abt 6 ~ 7 K at the max.. It can very well be done inside that budget..

Great.. Given your 14 ft room width, you should be able to do at-least 150 inch diagonal 16:9, matching the projectors native aspect ratio.. Will help for widescreen as wall as 4:3 content..

it will be really good to have L-C-R at the same height as your ear level.. With such huge screen size, when the sound moves from (or) to either side of the screen, that would be nice..

To do 150 inch AT screen, you may mostly need abt 6 ~ 7 K at the max.. It can very well be done inside that budget..
150 inches? That will give me a viewing angle of 42.5 degrees. THX recommeds 36 degrees for 1080p resolution

I had exact setup - Same distance and same projector for several years. I used 120 inch screen. I wouldn't have mind 150 inches :) but room was too small to go any higher. Ultimately it comes down to your personal choice.

Would suggest to keep the screen size between 130-140 inches. This will prevent eye strain. Also in future if you plan to add more seats in front row, it wouldn't be a problem. So would be better to follow thx viewing distances guidelines for better viewing experience.

For aspect ratio, I have recently switched from 16:9 to 2.35:1 and enjoying every bit of it as it gives you true cinematic experience without black bars when watching cinemascope content. Downside - when watching IMAX content and tv shows, the extra picture will bleed on to the background walls. For me it's not a big deal as i mostly watch movies with cinemascope aspect ratio.

Last edited:
150 inches? That will give me a viewing angle of 42.5 degrees. THX recommeds 36 degrees for 1080p resolution

Wasn't aware of THX recommendation.. But that 36 degrees for 1080p is that at 16:9 (or) 21:9 ?.. Anyways you are only slightly deviating :p

I had built a 160 inch, AT screen in 15:9 Aspect ration screen, viewing distance of abt 15 ft.. Pretty comfortable must say even with prolonged viewing..

Last edited:
Current projector is a 1080p Epson EH-TW8100 which has a native aspect ratio of 16:9.
Room size is 23.5 x 14 x 11.5 feet. Viewing distance is likely to be around 14 to 15 feet.

I run the Epson-TW6700 in a very similar (room dimensions and viewing distance) setup with a 16:9 ~140 in screen.

Can't say it's immersive, but there's no issues with brightness even in low lamp mode. And I'm approaching 2000 hours on the PJ. I do have the room painted in a fairly dark blue (Stormy Sky on the Asian Paints card, it's called) and have thick red curtains with blackout material stitched to the back. Until I made the changes to the room, I had to run the projector in high lamp mode to get watchable brightness on screen.

If I could go back and redo the video, I'd get a bigger, AT screen and a better projector.

Another question. What should be the height of the screen bottom from the floor?

Yes IMO.. At 150 inch diagonal, the screen is roughly between 6 ~ 7 ft height.. Mid way of that height is 35 ~ 40 inches, which is also very close to ear/eye level when on sofa/chair.. So if possible, place the screen 1 inch off the floor, which should be good for even prolonged viewing..

1.5 times screen width is recommended viewing distance for 1080p. You may start to see pixels if you get closer than that. However for 4k viewing you can get closer to the screen depending on your comfort level to increase the immersive experience. Do keep in mind that you will be upgrading to 4k at some point of time.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back