What to buy ... Onkyo SR608 or NR609 or Pioneer 1021k

iRock

Hello Folks..
I am in serious dilemma. I want to buy my first dedicated AVR and I am not sure what to buy. So far i have shortlisted 1. Onkyo NR609 2. Pioneer 1021K
These fit my budget perfectly and seems to offer great vfm.

Feature set is mostly identical on both these receivers. Pioneer is little bit better in connectivity (Airplay and iPod app). Onkyo is better at video conversion and THX certified.

No idea what to do :(

Please help

:confused:

I've not finalized speakers yet...

I think there are couple more entries in the market in the same price range - Onkyo HT-RC 360 (except video conversion I could not spot any difference in specs with 609 :( ) Denon 1912 ???

Thank you

Well,if you decide speakers 1st,it will be better to choose AVR & even a stereo amp in future.Some budget chaps can be-
Q-aco 5.1 setup,wharfedale 9 series,mission mvds(mov)...

First choose your source (speakers) and then select the partner (good sounding avr or amp) . Once you decide on these two then look for the one with all features in it.

HTH

IMO, Onkyo provides more features at the same price point on Denon.

Some owners of both felt that Denon gives better audio output - but it is subjective

But I am happy with my Onkyo 707

It is better to see and hear yourself, possibly with same speaker set and decide

i too have the same dilemma.i've also included rxv671/667 also in this list.as per reviews 1021k scores above all.but reviews of nr609/rxv671 haven't come so far.please let me know what you have decided and why.i'm also considering 709 as it has audyssey multieq while 609 has only 2eq.i dont know whether it's truly worth extra bucks

^^If u are not in a hurry, i would wait out until new models are in the market and auditioned, since an AVR is a purchase for atleast 2-3 years.

Also,audyssey 2EQ is enough for me as i prefer to tweak settings myself after the audyssey equalization,to suit my tastes.Thinking the otherway, my urge to tweak might be due to the Audyssey 2EQ being not enough where MultiEQ would have done the trick :D

Last edited:
Well folks - after reading stuff from internet, I think I need to put behind Pio 1021 out of the list (Isn't it the best looking avr though -IMO)
Looks like there are quite few "Quirks" and quality issues around this avr.

Denon 1912 is climbing up in my list...

So list as of now stands is -
1. Onkyo 609
2. Denon 1912
3. Onkyo RC-360

Only turn down with Denon is Video conversion - on paper Onkyo's have far better video conversions..

Thoughts?

theyre all good amps, but each brand will have its own sound signature. its up to what your ears prefer. you need to listen to them and decide which one suits your listening habits. whats also important is pairing of the system. imo you should decide on your speakers first and select one that you like and then try it out on different amps. you could also go the other way around by choosing an amp that you prefer in terms of its characteristics and pairing it with a suitable speaker, if thats a route you prefer

I have an ONKYO 606 ( same specs almost as 608 but maybe less connectivity) , The audio is not bad , but gets fuzzy if you crank it up ( Mission speakers M34 series ).
If I were you and if movies are secondary and primary use is 2 channel Audio I will not go with Onkyo. Having said that Onkyo has a good after sales service , its needed bcos mine has been back and forth 3 times to the service guys.

More than the 1912, 2012 is worth a look. It has Audyssey MultiXT - not available on 609/1912.

For me, it came down to usage and I watch more movies and I'm not an audiophile. So i went with Onkyo. I liked the networking capabilities on the Onkyo as well as the couple of extra HDMI inputs. I'm hoping someday they send an update for Audyssey MultXT! Also, availability - I was in the US recently and the 609 release happened around then. Didn't feel the wait for the 2012 to release was worth it with only one additional feature (MultXT).

With the Onkyo, the video upconversion hasn't helped with the poor SD quality of TataSky. Rest of my sources don't need this. So this probably shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Well folks - after reading stuff from internet, I think I need to put behind Pio 1021 out of the list (Isn't it the best looking avr though -IMO)
Looks like there are quite few "Quirks" and quality issues around this avr.

Denon 1912 is climbing up in my list...

So list as of now stands is -
1. Onkyo 609
2. Denon 1912
3. Onkyo RC-360

Only turn down with Denon is Video conversion - on paper Onkyo's have far better video conversions..

Thoughts?

Friends,
I got bit tied up for past week and did not had a time to post\read stuff.

I do have some news .... I got a really fantastic deal and bought Onkyo HT-RC360 ($300 :yahoo:)

I am still learning it and setting up even though I don't have all components lined up yet.

Question to Onkyo owners - does it always run hot? Cause I could notice it

congrats,,,,in indian rupees may i know the final price and from where u bought,i too intrested....thank u,,

congrats,,,,in indian rupees may i know the final price and from where u bought,i too intrested....thank u,,

Hello, got that at Fry's Electronics in San Fransisco. I will be bringing this with me to India - so hopefully no shipping.

There was deal going on in Fry's... got that by lucky chance.

Thanks

Thanks Mate - I did read that review on CNET and that basically created more dilemma.

As of now its boling to this question
What to sacrifice - Audyssey Multi EQ or Video Conversion?

Based on my usage so far (Still due review) of Onkyo RC360 - its quite good at driving polk speakers and giving overall satisfying sound.

Now if I have to look at Denon it has few more features t Mainly Audyssey Multi EQ, Airplay, little bit more power and extra one year warranty.
Onkyo is missing all these BUT has Video Conversion, $150 cheap (so I can add Apple TV and get airplay ;) )

Question for AV Guru's in this forum - Does video conversion on receiver actually help? ( I am thinking of opening new thread on this topic)

Thanks in advance...

Onkyo will be marginally powerful than Denon(in same category).Video convertion may not be required as we are getting HD source(DTH,720p rips).So I will suggest check audio Q & features than Video conversion.
Denon new AVR looks solid with HD flac decoder.It is on top-
http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-receivers/?tag=contentMain;contentBody

ONKYO 609 is not behind-
http://www.whathifi.com/review/onkyo-tx-nr609
http://www.trustedreviews.com/onkyo-tx-nr609_Surround-Sound-System_review
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/au...audio/receivers/onkyo-tx-nr609--949358/review

I did not like ONKYO look though like old boxy radio.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back