What to do with conked Polk PSW 125 subwoofer amp plate

k_vijay12

Folks,

My subwoofer polk psw125 amplifier plate is conked. It's 3.5 yrs since , couldn't find part or I was not in town when part was available.

Want to explore other possibilities...a few questions....

1. Is adding a hi-end amp going to improve output ?
2. Can this current driver handle additional load from original 150w continuous and 300 w peak?
3. Can I change the crossovers n filters?
4. What to do with polk sub enclosure? If I change to different amp / both amp n driver... Will the sound quality improve?

Diy guys... Please help me what's the best way fwd. Thanks.

Folks,

My subwoofer polk psw125 amplifier plate is conked. It's 3.5 yrs since , couldn't find part or I was not in town when part was available.

2. Can this current driver handle additional load from original 150w continuous and 300 w peak?
4. What to do with polk sub enclosure? If I change to different amp / both amp n driver... Will the sound quality improve?

You can try using this plate amp. HSU Research VTF-2 150 Watt Subwoofer Plate Amplifier. You may need to modify the fitment in enclosure.

based on a few experiments which i have done in the past, I have found active sub-woofers to function on induced bass scenarios where a high power plate amp with a circuit design featuring high and upper mid frequency roll-off literally pumps "bass-power" into a woofer driver in a smallish enclosure. When the plate amp is removed this active sub woofer will obviously become a passive subwoofer. When connecting this passive unit to full range amplification, even with passive low frequency cross-overs, the "pumped" magic disappears :) You may have to move the woofer driver to a larger enclosure for better and deeper bass response.
A more effective approach would be to try and get the plate amp repaired or replaced.

@k_vijay12 , For my PSW10, i had a similar issue last year- Took it to Polk service center on double road and they charged me something like 7K to replace it.
The replacement conked off in 6 months, but I am yet to visit them since i was worried about the pandemic, plus it is way too far for me.
so almost this entire year, i am just listening to music on my towers and movies bland.

You can try using this plate amp. HSU Research VTF-2 150 Watt Subwoofer Plate Amplifier. You may need to modify the fitment in enclosure.
Folks,

You could go with the excellent suggestions by the two FMs above or if you want to go a level higher, you could check out the minidsp plate amp too which will give you the power to dsp correct your bass response.

On the other hand you could also try s Crown or an Emotiva power amp to drive the subwoofer.

MaSh

You could go with the excellent suggestions by the two FMs above or if you want to go a level higher, you could check out the minidsp plate amp too which will give you the power to dsp correct your bass response.

On the other hand you could also try s Crown or an Emotiva power amp to drive the subwoofer.

MaSh
Aware of this amp, but not sure if driver can withstand the 250w power at 8ohm/ 475w at 4 ohm.

Polk psw125 is rated 150w continous n 300w peak. I don't know the impedance for these power rating. Please let me know if any of you have idea. Thanks

Aware of this amp, but not sure if driver can withstand the 250w power at 8ohm/ 475w at 4 ohm.

Polk psw125 is rated 150w continous n 300w peak. I don't know the impedance for these power rating. Please let me know if any of you have idea. Thanks
Are you referring to the minidsp? It's 125 x 2, 2 channel amp which you can bridge if needed. If you don't want to bridge, then use just a single channel.

MaSh

I too was in the similar situation few years back when the Polk PSW 125 amp plate conked off, i got the replacement from Profx Bangalore, and it is very easy to replace the same.

i too tried exploring other options but in the end replaced one is still lasting good.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back