which 1 to buy......

akshya1979kumar

hello frnds, me new here am from delhi and planning to get a new home theater. upper limit of my budget is 200k. my room size is 14 by 28 foot. 80 % i ll be using it for watching movies and tv 20% for listening music.
Planning to get a decent receiver and speker set up.
1. I know my budget is not gr8 but its all i can afford or else i can plan to
buildup 1 by 1.
2. please advice which recever should i cosider - marantz 6003 vs onkyo 706 denon 2310
3. spekers i was looking for - klipsch RF 62

jeez 2 lakhs is not a great budget?? If you want to feel better my home cinema setup cost me 5000 rupees :D

hello frnds, me new here am from delhi and planning to get a new home theater. upper limit of my budget is 200k. my room size is 14 by 28 foot. 80 % i ll be using it for watching movies and tv 20% for listening music.
buildup 1 by 1.
2. please advice which recever should i cosider - marantz 6003 vs onkyo 706 denon 2310

2 lakhs is a tank of a budget!!!

You will be able to buy everything (practically) to enjoy movies!!

Add Yamaha RX 863 to your list of auditions.

What will be the source? Do you have it or it is to be included in the budget?

buildup 1 by 1.

1) 200K is a great budget and will get you a lot of good stuff, but the seniors may still suggest a 1by1 approach ensuring that you do sufficient research on the items and your tastes and needs also evolve as you get deeper. So not committing the whole budget upfront will ensure that you would spend it on something which you wil cherish for a long-long time
2) Since your usage is more on movies, you may want to add Yamaha in the short listing,
3) you may want to audition more speakers, Wharfadale, Mordaunt Short, Dali, Tannoy etc. You would be able to audition most of these in Delhi.

well thanx for replying what will be the price of yamaha 863. and for the source either ps3 or good quality dvd player. blue ray player are new and overpriced as for now so not sure whether to go for a blue ray player or ps 3. i have heard ps3 has pcm output. so what u suggest should i go for dvd now and will upgrade to blue ray later...

get someone to buy an Oppo BD-83 from the US and bring it down. That's one component that I think MUST go into your 2 lakh home theater. I've not watched it, but I've seen Oppo's DVD-Ps and from what I've read it's not a difficult choice to make!

Everything else i'll leave to the experts.

well thanx for replying what will be the price of yamaha 863. and for the source either ps3 or good quality dvd player. blue ray player are new and overpriced as for now so not sure whether to go for a blue ray player or ps 3. i have heard ps3 has pcm output. so what u suggest should i go for dvd now and will upgrade to blue ray later...

PS3 can output LPCM because it can internally decode DD-TrueHD etc. Thus even if the receiver is not equipped with HD codecs, it can still pretty well output that sound...Currently not many titles are available here on Blu-ray (may not be the case with Delhi, where everything is available)..As Psycho says OPPO-BD 83 is a wonderful piece of equipment. But I think getting it from US may cause issues due to region codes etc. BD Players unlike DVD players are not region free (AFAIK)....PS3 has the additional (read: Primary) capability of being a superb gaming machine....and add to that a brilliant BD Player for movies..

Yamaha 863 can be had between 63-68K...Delhi will be cheaper...many shops so lots competition...

get someone to buy an Oppo BD-83 from the US and bring it down. That's one component that I think MUST go into your 2 lakh home theater. I've not watched it, but I've seen Oppo's DVD-Ps and from what I've read it's not a difficult choice to make!

Everything else i'll leave to the experts.

If anybody in Delhi wants to audition Oppo BDP83 then get in touch with me as I have already bought one but would be able to give the audition only after 25th of August.

As Psycho says OPPO-BD 83 is a wonderful piece of equipment. But I think getting it from US may cause issues due to region codes etc. BD Players unlike DVD players are not region free

About Oppo BDP83 region code issue, look at my posts on the discussion forum of Oppo Blu Ray Player.

buildup 1 by 1.

If you are more into movies than music then in this budget of yours you could choose between Onkyo's 706, 806 or Yahama 863. Whereas Marantz and Denon are more for music than movies. For the Speakers also audition Polk Audio RtiA Series which matches well with Onkyo AVR.

buildup 1 by 1.

Hai

Your budget 200k for only audio or both audio and video?

Akshay, if I were in your shoes, I would break the budget as follows:

1. ~80K for speakers
2. ~60K for AVR
3. ~15K for ICs and cables
4. ~20K for CD Player
5. ~10K for DVD Player

The 15 odd K that you save can be put into a FD and saved to buy a Blu-Ray player later.

The reason I am recommending a CD Player is that, whichever AVR you buy, a CD Player makes a tremendous difference to the quality of sound for music. Alternatively you can get something like a Oppo 981 that will combine the DVD Player and CD Player into one.

At 60K, the AVRs you can consider are Denon 2310, Yamaha 863, Marantz 6003 and the Onkyo 706. What I would suggest you do is audition as many brands as possible and whittle down to the sound that you like purely for movies. It does not matter what model you listen to. Most models within a brand would have largely similar sound signature.

The Klipsch are good speakers, but again, I would recommend you audition a few more brands. Polk Audio, Wharfdale, MS, Q-Acoustics, EPOS, AE are a few brands that come to mind. Again spend a few days auditioning as many brands as possible to shorten the otions and decide which speakers you like.

Whatever AVR you buy, please ensure you get a 7.1 system that can decode HD Audio. If not today, we will all move towards Blu-Ray. It is just a question of time. Either the DVD Player or the AVR must have the capability to upscale all inputs to HDMI and full 1080P.

Cheers

thanx sir for ur valuable advice till now i have auditioned marantz and onkyo 606 and also tried bose v 20..... i played 2 3 tracks mp3& divx movies ( i know these are not good) but i was impressed with marantz 6003 with jamo. And bose v 20 sounded just like an ordinary 3rd class stereo system. i have also tried jbl escape 90 with HK but were not that good..... i am planning to spend next 2 3 days for auditioning differnt av recvrs and spekers..... problem is that i dont know where to go...... I have tried jamo at chitranjn park but their prices were too high..... as compared to other dealers so need advice for good and genuine dealers................

With that budget you should go for speakers better than Budget (wharfedale, polk Tsi, mission etc.)

I would suggest 5.1 speakers of the following (125K),
1. B&W 685 theatre package
2. Quad 11L2, L Centre, 9L2 and Quad Sub
3. Monitor Audio RS1 (silver) / BR2 (bronze) AV package
4. Polk RTiA3, CSi A6, FXi A6 & DSW Pro600

Alternatively, for style you can have the following systems (100K):
1. 5.1 B&W MT-25
2. 5.1 Quad L-ite
3. 5.1 KEF 30005SE

AVRs you can choose from (50K)
1. Marantz 6003
2. Pioneer Elite VSX-03
3. Yamaha 863

with the 25-50K left you can get the required cables, BDP/PS3 etc.

Raghav

Products and Dealers in Delhi-NCR

1). Wharfedale & QUAD with Denon & Marantz - Danny - Bass n Treble - Dwarka Sector 6.
Comments - : (Knowledgable, Helpful)

2). Mordaunt Short with Cambridge - Shane - Fx-Entertainment - CR Park.
Comments - (Arrogant, Egoistic)

3). Dali with Denon or NAD - Rajan - Sight and Sound - Okhla & Gurgaon.
Comments - (Over Confident, Price Cut, Lack After Sales)

4). KEF & Polk with Denon - Negi - ProFx.
Comments - (Helpful)

5). JBL with HK - Gulshan & Tausif - Techtrix & JBL Gallery - Rajouri & CR Park.
Comments - (Helpful, Brand Specific, but confused)

6). Klipsch with Onkyo - Delhi, Gurgaon, Faridabad & Noida...Many...:p
Comments - (Brand Specific, Price Cut)

7). B&W with Rotel - B&W Shoroom - Select City Walk.
Comments - (Lacks Confidence and Knowledge, Availability and After Sales)

8). Jamo with Onkyo - Jamo Shoroom - CR Park.
Comments - (No Comments)

9). Q Acoustics & Usher with Denon & Myryad - Contact Me...
Comments - (Cant Comment) - :p

So, know, you have a lot to see, to audition, to experience, and to gain.
Then you can decide on what you should be looking at.

Above Venkat has suggested some break-ins, that is something seriously you should workout...
My Deviations are a bit different...

Speakers - Rs.1L
Reciever - Rs.50-60K
DVD/BluRay - Rs.20-30K
Cables and Connectors - Rs.15K
Balance (Wtever Left) - Original (No MoserBears), DVDs for Amazing Experience..

The reason i have not suggested you a CD Player is because your requirement is more in for Movies(80%) then Music(20%)...
So, you can try and get the Cambridge-DV99, which is a very nice DVD Player + the Sound Clarity is good through Optical Out.

Last edited:
i have been to jamo shoroon but prices he told me were too high like marantz 5003 for 60k and was giving only 5% discount...............

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back