Which DTH - Require All channels.

Srinivas29

Hi,

If somebody is planning to get a DTH and subscribe for all the channels which would be the cheapest and has no compromise on quality.

I have been using Tatasky for the past 2 years. More or less satisfied the quality. I am planning to subscribe for all the channels which is the Annual Megapack, but tatasky is charging a whopping 5500 for this. I would like to know which other DTH provides a similar kind of facility and what is the cost.

Srinivas, most of these companies would be aware of each other's prices and would try to stay competitive.

I would seriously look at what channels I watch on a regular basis, get that and consider everything I else get as a bonus. For example, in Chennai, at least in my area, cable operators seem to operate even now. For 100 a month I get all local channels which is what my mother watches. I get a few Hindi and English channels that I consider a bonus. No STB, no hassles.

Moreover changing an operator is not easy. Since you are happy with Tata Sky, see what is the best option he provides and stick with that.

Frankly if you take a notebook and note down the channels you watch everyday for for how long, you will, at the end of 15 days, notice that you are not doing justice to more than 30% of the cost of the connection.

When an operator starts providing HD with component and HDMI connections at reasonable prices - that is the time to think of a change.

Cheers

Hi Srinivas,

I second Venkat on the Cable Operator thing. They have woken up to the competition and now offer really competitive rates with good picture quality. In my opinion, all these DTH operators are just recovering their advertising money from subscribers without investing significantly in product quality or caring about customer service.

I am happy with my cable operator and will choose his service over a DTH anyday. I have seen Tata Sky and Dish TV at friends' places, and frankly speaking, it has neither DVD quality picture nor CD quality sound which is claimed.

Moreover, the bright logos of Dish TV, Big TV, even Tata Sky to some extent are very annoying; I don't need to be reminded continuously that I have bought Dish TV or Big TV.

Even I will think of DTH only if they offer HD at today's normal cable prices and without those logos..

Hi Srinivas,

I second Venkat on the Cable Operator thing. They have woken up to the competition and now offer really competitive rates with good picture quality. In my opinion, all these DTH operators are just recovering their advertising money from subscribers without investing significantly in product quality or caring about customer service.

I am happy with my cable operator and will choose his service over a DTH anyday. I have seen Tata Sky and Dish TV at friends' places, and frankly speaking, it has neither DVD quality picture nor CD quality sound which is claimed.

Moreover, the bright logos of Dish TV, Big TV, even Tata Sky to some extent are very annoying; I don't need to be reminded continuously that I have bought Dish TV or Big TV.

Even I will think of DTH only if they offer HD at today's normal cable prices and without those logos..
If you can get a cable operator that provides digital coverage with a set-top box, then I guarantee the quality will be far better than any of the crappy DTH companies including Airtel IPTV available in India. The only better option, but which is substantially higher priced, is 'Sun Direct HD'.

If you can get a cable operator that provides digital coverage with a set-top box, then I guarantee the quality will be far better than any of the crappy DTH companies including Airtel IPTV available in India. The only better option, but which is substantially higher priced, is 'Sun Direct HD'.

Sanjay, a thought just occurred to me. None of the TV companies have any direct link to a cable operator. So the cable operator also has to receive the signals through a satellite. Though the cable TV operator who came home also told me that with a set top box his signals will be better, I don't see how unless he has some equipment to boost the signal strength or filter the signals of noise.

Cheers

Sanjay, a thought just occurred to me. None of the TV companies have any direct link to a cable operator. So the cable operator also has to receive the signals through a satellite. Though the cable TV operator who came home also told me that with a set top box his signals will be better, I don't see how unless he has some equipment to boost the signal strength or filter the signals of noise.

Cheers
Actually there is one major reason for the difference in quality, between cable operators and the DTH companies. The difference lies in the quality and extent of compression being used. To understand why the difference is there, we need to understand the entire path the signal covers, before the original channels' uplinked signal, reaches the final customer / viewer.

First the original channel compresses, encodes and uplinks it's signal to a satellite. This signal, is in turn received and decoded by the cable operator and the DTH companies. Up until this stage, both, cable operators and the DTH companies, have the same, relatively good quality picture. But from here on, things change and the quality starts differing.

In the case of The DTH operator, they now re-compress and encode the signal before uplinking it to their DTH satellite. But, for cost cutting reasons, they put more channels on a single transponder. This is achieved by using very low bitrates while compressing the signal, this results in a very poorly compressed and heavily pixelated picture in addition to several other digital artifact problems. Bottom line, the originally good picture, reaches the final customer in less than even VCD quality picture at times, let alone DVD quality. By the way, using MPEG4 does not in any way help make the picture any better, for instead of using the better compression abilities of MPEG4 for better picture quality, the greedy DTH companies use it to further increase the number of channels being carried on a single transponder. Therefore the move by a few DTH companies from MPEG2 to MPEG4 only benefits them and not the customer, as their ads would have you believe. In fact this is the very basis on which Tata-Sky has filed a case against Airtel's ad campaign, which highlights their using of MPEG4. Personally I feel the courts should show Tata-Sky the mirror in answer to their complaints. After all, their marketing campaign, claiming "DVD quality picture & Sound" too, is nothing but false advertising.
The cable companies on the other hand do not have the same limitations of transponder costs or anything to gain by using low bit-rates while compressing and encoding. Thus, they use much higher bit-rates for their compression, which ultimately results in a relatively, far superior picture quality, without the horrible pixelisation and other compression artifacts that is so common with all the DTH companies.

Also, very importantly, none of the cable operators superimpose 'watermarks' of their crappy logos on all the channels, whereas DTH customers have to not only bear with them but also have to put up with numbers flashing accross their screens in random spots on the screen at random times.

Thanks Sanjay. That was highly educative. My cable operator is offering all the Platinum channels at half the cost. I shall seriously take a look at that now.

Cheers

The cable broadcast with the Set Top Box is definitely better, and looks awesome on a regular CRT TV. One of my friends who switched to Tata Sky from regular cable was pushing me to go for it too. Now I am happy I stuck to my regular cablewallah..And yes, no flashy logos. I just pray that they don't start putting their logos just to match the competition..

I don't know about the technical aspect, but my operator told me that they keep adding boosters to amplify the signal strength as the subscriber base increases.

Thanks Sanjay for that insight into the difference between Cable TV and DTH..

I have Tata Sky +and the Hathway Set top box. I can't see any discernible difference in quality between the two. The logos and numbers are annoying on the DTH,but so are the long breakages in transmission when the local cable wallah lloses power due to load shedding, currently "officially" 2 hours a day in Hyderabad. I have the Annual Mega Pack,primarily because it gives me BBC Entertainment, which is missing on Cable.There is no comparison in costs - Rs 5500/- for the Mega Pack against Rs 2950/- for the Cable.If you watch largely Regional Channels,go for Cable.

Thanks Sanjay. That was highly educative. My cable operator is offering all the Platinum channels at half the cost. I shall seriously take a look at that now.

Cheers

Hi Venkat, i am using Hathway STB from my cable operator and i get all the channels. And the picture quality is very good on my CRT TV. But i haven't checked it on LCD's/plasmas.

My cable operator gives the STB for a month without any cost for trial. may be you can request for the same and check the picture quality.

Thanks,
Prakash.

My cable operator gives the STB for a month without any cost for trial. may be you can request for the same and check the picture quality.

That is a good idea. I had Hathway for a long time, but he was chased away by SCV that is backed politically by the ruling party here. Monopoly of the worst kind.

Cheers

Thanks for all your replies. The reason we preferred DTH at my home is because of the worst Cable service available in my area. When i had cable at home 3 years back i could not watch a single channel after first 30 channels. Sound was crappy. It was a pain to get the guy who was responsible to fix it. These guys were not even ready to provide a set top box. There was a monopoly in my area. Hathway guys would not provide service in my area because of the existing cable guys. I had the worst TV experience until i moved to Tata Sky.

I have a lot of relatives coming down from other states and therefore i need most of the southern regional languages channels. I did take a note of all the channels being watched in my house and that is reason i wanted to get all the channels. The reason being the most viewed channels belong to different package and i had to subscribe to each of them. That was going very expensive.

I am thinking of going to Big Tv as it provides most of the channels at a cool 1000 bucks lesser than Tata Sky. Before that I am getting more data related to other DTH providers.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back