Which LCD to get -- Sony S or V Series?

mk15

Hello

Am confused between the S550 and V550 series. Delaer has quoted me 41k for S and 47k for the V series. Is the 6k premium justified for the V series. The picture quality looked better in the V series esp DVD's.

Also, my viewing distance is 9 feet. Shall I get the 40" or the 32". SD looked soft on the 40" in the showroom. Woud use it mostly for DVD and SD content and occasional HD viewing.

Please help me as I am utterly confused between the size and the S/V series.

Have to buy in a day or two as my Sony 28" widescreen gave up after 14 yrs of service.
Thanks

well the V550A won't look good for SD content,compared to the S550A,but the V550A does have higher contrast.for ur viewing distance the 40inch is about right.
btw in 1995 did sony sell wide screen tvs,since i doubt ur 28inch tv is a wide screen.

The 32" V series 550 is full HD 1080p display whereas 32" S series 550 is 720p.

If budget is not a problem and you don't plan to upgrade soon, go for V series, it is good for HD content.

Many say FHD (1080p) makes sense only from 40-42" and upwards. But if you sit closer while watching FHD content, say at 4-5', it will makes a difference.
So why settle for a poorer resolution TV now when you can have more options later?

32" is ideal for you. 40" will be little too big at 9' and your majority of SD content will not look great at that distance, it will hit your eyes.

BTW you got a very good price for V550. Here it costs 50K. Hope they are not offering you the earlier model V400? which is available for 43K.
S550 costs 40K.

Last edited:
in 1995 did sony sell wide screen tvs,since i doubt ur 28inch tv is a wide screen

I got it from Singapore . Model no KV-W28MH11.

32" is ideal for you. 40" will be little too big at 9' and your majority of SD content will not look great at that distance, it will hit your eyes.

Had a 28" widescreen. So, was thinking of upgrading as I dont know how much difference extra 3.5" would make. But am disappointed with SD Picture quality in the 40V550A. But I did want a larger screen as compared to my 28".

Hope they are not offering you the earlier model V400? which is available for 43K

Its for the 32V550A. 40V550 A is 76.5k

37" can be a good size for you. S550 is available here in grey market for 45K
And this is not yet introduced by Sony India.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back