Which upgrade for my existing stereo set up?

jagdish_p

Hi experts,
I am looking at upgrade options for my below set up:

1)Source: FLACS on WD TV ( POP, Jazz, Hindi,Telugu Filmi Songs, Indian Classical)
2)DAC: Maverick Audio -Tube Magic D2
3)AVR: RX V667 ( 5 Ch Bi Amp) 90 W / Channel So 180 W with Bi Amp
4)Speakers- Floor Standers: Tannoy DC6T SE
Speaker Specs:
Recommended Amp Power: 20-200 Watts RMS
Freq Resp: 30 HZ- 35 K HZ
Sensitivity (db/w/m)- 90
Crossover : 1.7 KHz
5)Profigold Optical and Inter Connects, MX - HDMI cable, MX 11 SWG and 12 SWG speaker cables

My room is not ideal it is a living room 21X18 with doors and windows on all sides. I listen at very low volumes so peak power is not a requirement.

Given the above what would you recommend as the first priority for an upgrade? (Around 50 K budget)
a)A Sub around 30 K
b)An Amp around 50 K
c)Better DAC I hardly notice any difference between my existing DAC and the inbuilt DAC of the Yamaha AVR
d)Better Player than WD TV - Say PCH or a CD player. This doubt keeps nagging me and I am unable to come to any conclusion.

So the query is which component I should add/upgrade next. For Ex will it make any difference to add a Power Amp or an Integrated Amp costing 50 K? Or if there has to be a noticeable difference do I have to increase the budget?
I do understand that for some a Sub is a must and for others a Sub is a No No in a stereo system for music. I was contemplating adding a sub also for the movie experience.
Looking forward to your inputs / thoughts/comments.
Thanks

Hi experts,
I am looking at upgrade options for my below set up:

1)Source: FLACS on WD TV ( POP, Jazz, Hindi,Telugu Filmi Songs, Indian Classical)
2)DAC: Maverick Audio -Tube Magic D2
3)AVR: RX V667 ( 5 Ch Bi Amp) 90 W / Channel So 180 W with Bi Amp
4)Speakers- Floor Standers: Tannoy DC6T SE
Speaker Specs:
Recommended Amp Power: 20-200 Watts RMS
Freq Resp: 30 HZ- 35 K HZ
Sensitivity (db/w/m)- 90
Crossover : 1.7 KHz
5)Profigold Optical and Inter Connects, MX - HDMI cable, MX 11 SWG and 12 SWG speaker cables

My room is not ideal it is a living room 21X18 with doors and windows on all sides. I listen at very low volumes so peak power is not a requirement.

Given the above what would you recommend as the first priority for an upgrade? (Around 50 K budget)
a)A Sub around 30 K
b)An Amp around 50 K
c)Better DAC I hardly notice any difference between my existing DAC and the inbuilt DAC of the Yamaha AVR
d)Better Player than WD TV - Say PCH or a CD player. This doubt keeps nagging me and I am unable to come to any conclusion.

So the query is which component I should add/upgrade next. For Ex will it make any difference to add a Power Amp or an Integrated Amp costing 50 K? Or if there has to be a noticeable difference do I have to increase the budget?
I do understand that for some a Sub is a must and for others a Sub is a No No in a stereo system for music. I was contemplating adding a sub also for the movie experience.
Looking forward to your inputs / thoughts/comments.
Thanks

My thoughts...

If you feel that a standalone DAC Vs the DAC in your AVR doesn't make difference, then no need to upgrade any component...

Bi-Amping in a receiver itself is a pure gimmick...I have tried myself on my Onkyo TX NR 818....No difference....

If you add a stereo power amplifier to your receiver & Bi-amp, then you will notice difference....It may not be day & night, but the speaker will sing with authority....My first hand experience....

You can take benefit of a dedicated CD player only when you use a stereo amplifier with it (Analogue route).....Since you have collection of FLAC on your WD TV, you are better off with an AVR....

A stereo power amplifier for your Left & Right speaker will defenetly help your thirst :clapping:

Thanks Elangoas.
OK I was undecided about adding a power Amp in to the set up as I was not sure if it will really help in improving SQ. I think i will bite the bullet and go ahead with the addition of a stereo Power Amp.
I Will continue to use the Yamaha AVR for PreAmp - Is this a good idea?

Also which Power Amp? Since I am looking for an improvement over the Yamaha AVR will a budget Power Amp from NAD work - say a C275?
or should I increase the budget further?

@Jagdish I can totally understand your predicament. Was in the same boat a few years ago. With a
PS3/PC-> TubeMagic D1 -> Denon 1611 + Paradigm Titans
Then I heard the Titans with a NAD integrated at the Pune meet and it was an eye opener. I knew I needed an amp and was contemplating one for a while (Even tried the cheap 315 for a few days) but the 316 made them sing like no AVR could. And I immediately bought it.

The Denon hasn't seen the Paradigms since ;) . The DC6T are far more deserving speakers than my Paradigms were and I think you should try them with better amplifications and see (hear) the difference for yourself.

Next in your upgrade cycle could be a better source, since I got the CA 540 CDP I am hardly listening to my DACs and even contemplating a better CDP to replace the 540 as the SQ is obviously better.

Thanks Elangoas.
OK I was undecided about adding a power Amp in to the set up as I was not sure if it will really help in improving SQ. I think i will bite the bullet and go ahead with the addition of a stereo Power Amp.
I Will continue to use the Yamaha AVR for PreAmp - Is this a good idea?

Also which Power Amp? Since I am looking for an improvement over the Yamaha AVR will a budget Power Amp from NAD work - say a C275?
or should I increase the budget further?

Cool....Continue to use Yamaha AVR as a pre-amp...After you add a power amplifier, Bi-Amp it... Run the AVR L & R speaker outputs to HF (High Freq) of the speaker....

Once you connect your stereo power amplifier to your AVR pre-outs, connect the power amplifier L & R output to speakers LF (Low Freq)

If you don't want to spend too much on power amplifier without knowing results, experiment with it. i would suggest you to look @ any used stereo amplifier which can consistently output around 100W/Channel in 8 Ohms.... For around 10K...

There are plenty on OLX & quickr without remotes... So you can bargain

Make sure the stereo amplifier model has Main in & out connected with a jumper....so that you remove it & connect it to your AVR pre out....

I used to run my speakers with my yamaha V571 AVR. I bought a Sugden Mystro amp in January and the sound improved a lot. I only realised scale of improvement when I tried listening to music with the AVR after the hyd meet when my amp was still not connected to the speakers. It sounded very dull and lifeless :(. Couple of days back, I changed the opamps in my Xonar Essence One and I could clearly make out the difference in the sound of my DAC. The change was not so drastic when I tried it earlier while running with AVR. All in all, a quality amplifier will definitely sound much more refined and pleasant. I will recommend you go for a decent integrated amplifier.

Just get a good integrated amp, forget using the avr for music.

If you want to use the same speakers as fronts for ht, get an int amp which includes an ht bypass.

I can tell you from personal (& very expensive) experiences with avr's : Yamaha rxv 1500, then 2700, an Onkyo, a CA, and now the Marantz PrePro, that an avr is built for movies. Period.

Viki

Many HYD members have 5 channel power amps which you can mate with yamaha avr, see if you can borrow or invite them for an audition along with power amp. :) To get clear picture.

@Jagdish I can totally understand your predicament. Was in the same boat a few years ago. With a
PS3/PC-> TubeMagic D1 -> Denon 1611 + Paradigm Titans
Then I heard the Titans with a NAD integrated at the Pune meet and it was an eye opener. I knew I needed an amp and was contemplating one for a while (Even tried the cheap 315 for a few days) but the 316 made them sing like no AVR could. And I immediately bought it.

The Denon hasn't seen the Paradigms since ;) . The DC6T are far more deserving speakers than my Paradigms were and I think you should try them with better amplifications and see (hear) the difference for yourself.

Next in your upgrade cycle could be a better source, since I got the CA 540 CDP I am hardly listening to my DACs and even contemplating a better CDP to replace the 540 as the SQ is obviously better.
Thanks for the detailed response. So will it be ok to use my AVR for preamp and connect to a power amp?

My thoughts:
A sub will only help with movies predominantly. It is very difficult to mate a sub to a system and it can sound boomy and mismatched and will be a source of frustration.
For 2 channel music I strongly believe that what you put in is what you get out. So the source is really essential to get right. Why don't you try your source in a couple of other FM's systems to see if it is universally good. I am not referring to the DAC which you have already compared and feel does not need a change.
I definitely think separating your stereo from your movies will help. In which case keep the 5 channel for movies and get a good integrated for music. Don't bother about bi-amping, from my experience.
Lastly, work on placement and if you can a little treatment on the room. Cover the glass windows with curtains (depending on where they are) and see if you can bring your speakers out into the room so you can listen to them a little more nearfield. You'll be surprised how much you can change the sound of the system with some placement changes.

My thoughts...

If you feel that a standalone DAC Vs the DAC in your AVR doesn't make difference, then no need to upgrade any component...

Bi-Amping in a receiver itself is a pure gimmick...I have tried myself on my Onkyo TX NR 818....No difference....

If you add a stereo power amplifier to your receiver & Bi-amp, then you will notice difference....It may not be day & night, but the speaker will sing with authority....My first hand experience....

You can take benefit of a dedicated CD player only when you use a stereo amplifier with it (Analogue route).....Since you have collection of FLAC on your WD TV, you are better off with an AVR....

A stereo power amplifier for your Left & Right speaker will defenetly help your thirst :clapping:

Elango,

You keep mentioning Stereo Amp everywhere. For the same expectation, Can I not go for a 5 channel Amp ( keeping future expansion in mind ) , but use only the 2 channels for now fro stereo listening. Is it all the same ??? :)

Elango,

You keep mentioning Stereo Amp everywhere. For the same expectation, Can I not go for a 5 channel Amp ( keeping future expansion in mind ) , but use only the 2 channels for now fro stereo listening. Is it all the same ??? :)

Ok..In General, when a Stereo amplifier is referred, it is an Integrated stereo amplifier (Pre amplifier & Power Amplifier together in one component)...

Stereo power amplifier is excluding the Pre amplifier...Juz the power alone....

When you say 5 channel amplifier, it refers to 5 channel Power Amplifier..

You can go ahead and use it..In that case, you Denon AVR will be Pre Amplifier...

I used to run my speakers with my yamaha V571 AVR. I bought a Sugden Mystro amp in January and the sound improved a lot. I only realised scale of improvement when I tried listening to music with the AVR after the hyd meet when my amp was still not connected to the speakers. It sounded very dull and lifeless :(. Couple of days back, I changed the opamps in my Xonar Essence One and I could clearly make out the difference in the sound of my DAC. The change was not so drastic when I tried it earlier while running with AVR. All in all, a quality amplifier will definitely sound much more refined and pleasant. I will recommend you go for a decent integrated amplifier.

So even if the DAC is doing a good job the improvement in SQ will be heard only with a good Amp.
Will it be OK to use the pre outs from Yamaha AVR and connect to a power Amp - or will this degrade the SQ as the signal has to pass through the AVR?

Many HYD members have 5 channel power amps which you can mate with yamaha avr, see if you can borrow or invite them for an audition along with power amp. :) To get clear picture.

Good idea Kittu. I always felt that the speakers sound great when I audition in the shop and sound dull in my Living room. Cant figure out which to blame - the room or the other components in the chain.
Any one from Hyd willing to come over for auditioning at my place? I stay near Kondapur.

Reach out to Blasto, Sajjad4joy , rud3dawg and others from hyd. I am sure they should be able to assist you with something.

Good idea Kittu. I always felt that the speakers sound great when I audition in the shop and sound dull in my Living room. Cant figure out which to blame - the room or the other components in the chain.
Any one from Hyd willing to come over for auditioning at my place? I stay near Kondapur.

I would love to hear the tannoys again ... In my auditions while looking for speaker, DC6T marginally lost to MA RX6 ... If middle of next week suits you, I can get my amp.

I'd recommend a decent integrated. 50k is a good budget and puts you nicely around the mid-range NAD/Marantz/CAs and if you are open minded then even some lesser known brands too. The pre-outs of an AVR will have little to no improvements as per my experience. If at-all you want to just buy a power-amp use the pre-outs from the D2 they are definitely nice for the price.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back