Which wireless router?

Hi,

Considering you've already bought and set it up by now, but here's my recommendation to anyone who might wander here in the future.

TP-Link routers are very inexpensive, you can get a wifi/adsl router with one 100Mbps ethernet port for about 1300 on ebay

in my experience, routers being complex stuff either work well or not at all.

And since you've set it up, configure it to use WPA2/PSK authentication, or your tech savvy neighbors might benefit from your connection as well!

Me? I'm using a buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH router with Wireless N, USB, and 4x 1G ports running openwrt. I've set it up to dial my USB 3G and CDMA modems and share the connection over wifi. Cost me 5K, but was worth it as I needed a fast network.

If you need to boost the range of your existing wifi antenna try this:

Parabolic Templat

you can do this at home for free

Regards

Hello All Router experts...

I'm upgrading my Netgear G old model router to a Gigabyte network with high speed Wireless streaming in a very large home or 3000 sq ft in a single floor. I'm very happy with Netgear brand, so thinking for this model 'Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR4500'. Here is the link> and comparison chart for ALL models from Netgear.

Any suggestions if anybody is using this model, please share your experience. Is there any other brand/model comparable with this one?

I'm getting it in Pune for Rs. 12300/- + 6% VAT.

Any suggestion for the "Netgear N900 Router WNDR4500" ?

You want to spend extra 5K for its 450mbps speed? or extra 150mbp/sec?

Have you experienced a 300mbps router and feel like you've outived its speed when connected to a 2mbps ISP? And by the time you really start needing that kinda bandwidth, the h/w or featureset will already be obsolete.

You could get a 3700 for 6K now (or less?) I guess ...

Just thinking out loud ...

--G0bble

Go for Asus Rt-n16. Flash it to tomato or dd-wrt and then add printer, hdd or any other USB. Its a solid router all for 5685 shipped from itwares.com

Tapatalk ka jalwa !!!

manish, in my personal opinion USB printers do not go well with USB based print servers which are either standalone (and connected to router via ethernet) or built-in into routers. This feedback is coming from me after using first a Netgear standalone USB print server and then using the built in peint server of my DNS 323 NAS. The problem happens when there is some error in queue flushing or error in printing, the print servers fail to recover from it unless restarted (by power). So keep this expectation in mind before going for routers with built in print servers.

Had to venture into this world for the first time and having no idea just bought a Dlink DIR 615 as my need is basic. However i see that in my house do not get full strength in all rooms. Any recommendations for a better one? I got a 1800 sqft coverage area max

FWIW, I've been using a Linksys WRG 310N V2 for the past 6 months and it's working very well for me. It has GbE and though the form factor is a bit bigger than the Netgear router that ir replaced( No GbE), I am quite happy with it so far.

Go for Asus Rt-n16. Flash it to tomato or dd-wrt and then add printer, hdd or any other USB. Its a solid router all for 5685 shipped from itwares.com

I use (and highly recommend) Asus RT-N13U - about Rs. 3300 or so. And if you flash it with (say) dd-wrt, you get many benefits. For e.g. you can see monthly bandwidth usage measured by your router.

I am also hoping that we can make its USB stream music to a (Async) DAC using appropriate drivers in Linux. Cheap wireless music! It should make it equivalent to Apple Airport Express or even Squeezebox.

asus 13u is not manufactured any more. I have one but won't recommend it. Its range is not good compared to my wnr614 n300 netgear router.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back