Will Step down transformer affect HiFi's performance??

You are very correct awedeophile. They are marketing Torus power conditioners and most recent reviews of bryston gear are all done using Torus power conditioning.
In spite of all this i was surprised to find the same old '' connect our amplifiers directly to the wall outlet " in the manual of the 4 B amplifier i received last month.
Dont really know what to make of it.
Regards

This sound like two different divisions of the same company working in different ways. Must be a little bit of professional jealousy going on inside.

Cheers

This sound like two different divisions of the same company working in different ways. Must be a little bit of professional jealousy going on inside.

Doubt it. Seems more like a change in thinking as they probably now realise that a power conditioner can make an improvement (system and original AC power dependant). The 4B manual probably needs updating as I read the online manual for their top power amp and it does not have the statement in question.

Audio Critic's "The 8th Biggest Lie in Audio" was based on Bryston's statement/philosophy which is now the opposite.

Hi,
Awedeophile i quite agree with u. Its probably the lack of updating the manual.
They have now introduced(since mid June 08) a LINE VOLTAGE STATUS INDICATOR on the rear panel of the amplifier and done away with the TOUCH MEMBRANE SWITCH. Both are good additions IMO. The funny thing though is the range they have set the amp to accept. When connected to a variac the amp played all the way down to 190V and all the way up to 250V!!! Beyond these voltages the amp shuts down.
Regards

When connected to a variac the amp played all the way down to 190V and all the way up to 250V!!! Beyond these voltages the amp shuts down.
Regards

That's superb from the Indian voltage point of view. Some good power isolation (DIY possible) and you're set.

Many manufacturers like Halcro are offering equipment which will work on world voltage but some like Krell have taken the opposite approach by using frequency sensors making it harder to even use simple step up/down transformers.

Yup. It is a good addition. I just expected the range it accepts to be narrower.
Any luck with the sale of the cdp and the amplifier? Am hoping these things move and u get ur new amp so i get a proper review !!!!!!!!
Whats ur take on a McIntosh? Do u think that a Mac will sell in India?
regards

Yup. It is a good addition. I just expected the range it accepts to be narrower.
Any luck with the sale of the cdp and the amplifier? Am hoping these things move and u get ur new amp so i get a proper review !!!!!!!!
Whats ur take on a McIntosh? Do u think that a Mac will sell in India?
regards

Hi,

Amp I have decided not to sell at the moment. The CDP too I will sell if I get my price and have something suitable (better) to move to.
The setup is sounding very good at the moment and the recent tweaks (voodoo ;)) have been an eye opener. Something you should try.

Don't have much experience with McIntosh but they have been around for ages, make great quality equipment and have quite a cult following. I doubt they would have volume sales in India though as the market here for high end is very small. Only NAD, Denon, etc. sell volume in India.

awedeophile
which amp were you looking to upgrade to? BTW, are you going to be able to make it to the Delhi AV Expo?

cheers

awedeophile
which amp were you looking to upgrade to? BTW, are you going to be able to make it to the Delhi AV Expo?

cheers

Was thinking of Gamut but now don't feel that would have been a wise upgrade. That's on hold for now. Will take the plunge some other time.
When is the Delhi AV Expo? Anything interesting being displayed?

No, Unfortunately SL will take some time to get here, so no, it wont be, but all the other stuff will be there. Sure, do see if you can stop by...

cheers

Hello there,
First post in the forums! I believe venkatcr and suhasg can help me with this.

I am planning to move from USA to Turkey and decided to take some electronics with me (plasma tv, ps3, cd player, integrated tube amp, subwoofer amps, etc.). Therefore, I am buying couple of transformers with 5kva and 26 amps capacity. Also they will be the real deal with 2 windings (i.e. no autotransformer).

My question is about using a power conditioner/surge protector with the step down transformer. The power conditioner that I have is APC's H15: APC AV 1.5 kVA H Type Power Conditioner 120V

Do you foresee any problems connecting the power conditioner to the step down transformer?

Thanks in advance...
Onur

PS: I was assuming that everything would be fine and dandy before reading this one: Never Use a Surge Protector with a Step-Down Transformer - what do you think?

EDIT: last night I bought a APC step down transformer, APC 9621: http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AP9621 ; but the question is still valid: should I connect my H15 surge protector/power conditioner to 9621?

Last edited:
lets make it simple.if its an amplifier or receiver well its fine.if its dvd player/recorder or turn table it does make difference.with turntables its ok cause you can adjust speed with strobe.motor tends to get hot but its generally safe.i have a receiver 110vac.bought it in USA.used it there.now since 4 years using it here.well i do not see any difference in performance

Last edited:
hi ooztuncer,

your APC step down transformer, APC 9621 sounds OK to me. I hope you checked current rating are matching before buying it.

Stay away from any Surge protectors.

Best solution (though expensive) is use Power generator. Whole idea is power is delivered through high quality Pure sine wave inverter. Battery supply the juice and our house hold AC mains is used only to charge those batteries. That way one can have full control over what is being fed to the HiFi set up.

But here I also suggest not to use any cheapo UPS because such UPS in most cases is of either Square wave or quasi Square wave output type, this may be OK for a PC because PC uses a SMPS. But most HiFi gears use linear power supplies that incorporate a conventional transformer. Square wave or quasi Square wave can cause severe damage (beyond repair) to the transformer and in turn to the HiFi system.

Hope this helps.

SUhas

Last edited:
Suhas:

As far as I understood from Ooztuncer's post he is planning to have a step down transformer and then use the power conditioner. Is this sequence correct? Should'nt the 220 volts be stabilized first before using the step down?

Cheers

Last edited:
Yes, it will. Take care while getting the step down trasformer . Please ref to some of my realier posts for further information.

Suhas:

As far as I understood from Ooztuncer's post he is planning to have a step down transformer and then use the power conditioner. Is this sequence correct? Should'nt the 220 volts be stabilized first before using the step down?

Cheers

Venkat, it depends on what 'power conditioning' is desired.

If it is just a Voltage stabilization (using Servo Voltage stabilizer) I would combine both Step down and voltage stabilization.

For any reason Step down and Voltage stabilization businesses need to be separate , I would put Step down first followed by 110V output Servo Voltage Stabilizer (small in size and cost because of reduced operating voltage ~110V) .

Yes, it will. Take care while getting the step down trasformer . Please ref to some of my realier posts for further information.

Thank you Suhas. But after reading earlier posts I got more confused or even scared. Do I have to worry about Hz, spikes, UPS, stabilizer and all or just buying a good quality 220/240 to 110V transformer with Wattage higher than receiver's will do the job?

hi,
well well well.i think too much of an analysis is made about 110 vac usability in india. well if if you ask me you very well can.i am using a receiver pioneer 5.1 which is 110vac got from usa.i am saying this again its in use since last 4 to years or more.i have absolutely no problem.about some doubts about voltage stabiliser and ups thats a different issue altogether.if you have voltage fluctuations where you live you have to use them as you do to other electrical items. so do not worry too much about technicalities .check you receivers power rating and accordingly buy a transformer.i feel 300 t0 500watts transformer can do the job of many receivers.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back