Will Step down transformer affect HiFi's performance??

Malvai do u get surges/fluctuation where u are at in mumbai?
If not dont put that Rotel on a stab.
Its not the 200 WPC output to consider its the POWER CONSUMPTION of the device, which is mentioned in the manual or on the Rotel website. For example if it mentions 800 watts , this is at full load and 8 ohms and one cannot drive an amp at full load. A 1.5KVA is more than sufficient.
If u are adding more components on the servo stab then u have to add up the consumption of all those and then keep a buffer so the amp is not starved of current.
Generally guys route all the components except power amps thru the stab and plug the power amp directly into the mains.
Apart from a few manufacturers who are reliable, the run of the mill servo controlled stabilizer available at 2/3 K at lamington road is NOT WHAT IT CLAIMS TO BE. A 3KVA is not 3KVA.
Some brands like ARGO are good but they are not dead silent plus there is a surge on start up which can trip the line.
Too many things to consider when buying a large capacity servo stabilizer.
Rgds

Could you suggest a good servo stabiliser for the other components? Also, was thinking if there is a device that just cuts off when there is voltage lower than 200 and higher than 220? Maybe I could hook up the Power amp to that and the rest of the components - Rotel RCD 991, Technics SL 1300 TT and the Onkyo integra preamp....

was thinking if there is a device that just cuts off when there is voltage lower than 200 and higher than 220?

I am not sure about the power supply standards in your city, but one can essentially forget spending any meaningful time with his/her equipment if these cut-offs are implemented in most places in India... :lol:

The guy who built my stab-cum-transformer had the cut-off range set at 200...250v output of the stabilizer.

Could you suggest a good servo stabiliser for the other components? Also, was thinking if there is a device that just cuts off when there is voltage lower than 200 and higher than 220? Maybe I could hook up the Power amp to that and the rest of the components - Rotel RCD 991, Technics SL 1300 TT and the Onkyo integra preamp....

ARGO is the one to go for IMO. Buy a 1KVA servo stab for everything else and the power amp goes into the mains. They will charge u for an OVER/UNDER voltage cut off that will be installed inside. HAve used Argo for years and its reliable.
Will dig up the contact details if u are interested.
Rgds

ARGO is the one to go for IMO. Buy a 1KVA servo stab for everything else and the power amp goes into the mains. They will charge u for an OVER/UNDER voltage cut off that will be installed inside. HAve used Argo for years and its reliable.
Will dig up the contact details if u are interested.
Rgds

Yessir! That'll be sooooo nice of you!
Also, one doubt, if I plug in the power amp directly into the mains, will it be safe????
Shouldn't i atleast put a auto cut off in the middle??

Hi Malvai,
Where in bbay are u? Yes it is safe to plug into the mains if the condition of power (quality & voltage) is reasonable.

I will give u the Contact details by evening for sure. They have an office at Lamington road across MINERVA theatre where there will take your order and the stab will be delivered in a week.
Rgds

Read most of the comments on this thread and it was great...some of you are amazing...

I am not that techie...so just need input on transformer/stabilizer etc for my HT..

1) I have Bose Aqousitmass 10 Series IV speaker system (power requirement 100-127V 50/60 Hz 270W)

2) May buy either ONKYO or Denon 2310 from US ( power requirement AC 120 V~, 60 Hz )

3) May buy Oppo BDP

Now on power supply at my house

I have 1.4 KVA Sinewave Inverter hooked to my main supply

So what should be my step down transformer configuration to get best of my HT ? and do I need stabilizer?

Thanks

Get a 1KV Stabilizer-cum-transformer for your current needs, as your AVR will be used only as a pre-proc for your Bose module. Even if you move to passive speakers (driven by your AVR) in future, 1KV will do provided your sub is not driven by this transformer.

Unless you have a separate inverter/UPS for this setup, route you transformer thru the mains only. There will be (typically) enough demand on your inverter from other household usage.

Thanks all for such a informative thread.

Please help me finalizing the capacity/wattage of a step down transformer for

1) Denon 2310 (110 V from USA) - 7.1 channels with 105 watts each.
2) Subwoofer Klipsch RW 12-d -350 Watts continuous @ <2% THD / Dynamic Power: 825 watts (Other speakers are RF62,RC62 and RF52)

- What should be an ideal wattage of transformer
- What should be additional margin of safety
- And thus what should be the ideal capacity of step down transformer for above equipments. I am getting everything from US.

Thanks

Its a non issue for most receivers now.Entry to budget level receivers now use SMPS.

Receiver that I have (yamaha 665) uses an SMPS. So just make sure that you are using a transformer that has proper insulation and will not start pumping out 220 v if any electronic component in step down fails.

Kits are available that have class D amplifier + SMPS. Have built couple of DIY systems with this config.

Were you referring to Tripath/TI Class-D/T kits available on Ebay?

If not, it'd be great if you can point me to some of those kits?.

Sorry for going off-topic:rolleyes:

Friends,This question is hitting me whenever I think abt electronic Item purchase in USA.

Friends Tell me "Will Step down transformer affect High end HiFi's(120V) perfomance?"......Thanks,Pandiyan

hi pandiyan -

be sure - that step down transformer (from 220v 60hz to 110v 60 hz {mind - not 50hz}) - WILL AFFECT performance of high end hi-fi.

be sure that a signal modulated by electrons (the mass of which is {inversely} lighter than a hundred million feathers) will be affected adversely when buffeted by gauss and flux of unknown ken!

that signal - that ephemeral electron - must be shepherded by a familiar shepherd-

it must be made comfortable - and herded along familiar paths to destination-

hammering that delicate electron with unknown frequencies - will cause quiver in spin -

and alteration in what the listener perceives as sound:)

Last edited:
Gobble, Suri has beaten both of us by reviving a completely dead post that has been answered. :)

Cheers

Maybe, but most receivers are Class A/B, and cannot use SMPS.

Sorry... but what has amplification class got to do with SMPS or 50/60Hz Power supply. Is there some information I'm missing?

Is it because SMPS are generally perceived as noisy?, but trust me thats only true with low cost SMPS's (Inaccurate designs, Poor layout, less shielding/filtering leading to more CE and RE). There are SMPS's which can match or outperform linear designs. Even highly sensitive medical devices these days go with SMPS's for their inherent advantages.

I'm aware there is an school of thought in Audio Engineering that SMPS's are not preferred in Audiophile quality equipments. I guess it is just to satisfy the Audio Purists and perceived notions.

Even though I've been working in the HW design industry for more than 15 years, I would love to find myself corrected if there is a scientific backing to such claims.

Last edited:
Back