Worn out remote buttons

abyshines

DIY for Remote buttons not working properly!

Hi everyone,this is a simple DIY for all those who want to find out how to make your remote buttons work properly when they wear out.

You will need:
1.Fevi kwik
2.Cigarette foil/shiny metallic paper inside the cigarette box.
3.A ball point pen or pin.
4.A cutter.

Warning:This DIY is only for those remotes which are not easy to find in the market as a replacement,and not at all advicable for the hi fi gadgets for the fact you might end up spoiling the remote forever.[just in case]

Open the remote controller and carefully take out the rubber key pad.
1.Check for dust or greasy matter which might be obstructing the contact points.
2.Clean it up and check whether remote is working fine.
3.If not ,then continue with the DIY.
4.After you have cleaned both the surfaces i.e keypad and the PCB,find out the keys you use the most and check for appropriate size of the paper which you need to cut in to place it on the rubber keypad's black spots that actually make the contact with the PCB's circuit.
5.Take out the paper from the cigarette box and cut it into smaller size bits to be placed on the black spots under the rubber keypad.

Last edited:
Sometimes cleaning does help. Else try to source replacement key pad (like they do for mobile phones, not sure if it is always available. I did manage to source one for my dishTV remote initially). If both do not work, buy a new remote or a universal remote.

This is the old remote,the buttons have to be pressed hard to make it work.
07012011191.jpg

This is the PCB [after the remote is carefully opened]
07012011180.jpg

This is the Keypad from reverse side
07012011167.jpg

And the small dots that make the contact with the remote's PCB.
Cut the Paper accordingly into bits
07012011169.jpg

Using the pin/ball point tip place the bits/glue them to the black dots on the reverse side of the keypad as shown in this pic
07012011173.jpg

07012011175.jpg

Do the procedure for the entire keypad or just for the keys that you use frequently.
07012011182.jpg

07012011185.jpg

Make sure that you dont put too much of the Fevi kwik on the black dots or else it will stick on the sides of the paper or on the shiny side to make them non conducters.

Allow them to dry for sufficient time before you fix back the remote to its native state.
BINGO!!!
07012011187.jpg

07012011189.jpg

Use the remote and you will be happy to see the remote work like new.

Pour in the pics or experience ,if this DIY was useful?

Happy "HI-FI"ying !

Thank you all.

Sometimes cleaning does help. Else try to source replacement key pad (like they do for mobile phones, not sure if it is always available. I did manage to source one for my dishTV remote initially). If both do not work, buy a new remote or a universal remote.
This was faster than i expected,your reply came while i was still drafting the Post with pics.LOLz:yahoo::eek:hyeah:

Great work Bravo ....
Questions :
1. Cant it be possible by changing New battery of remote :)
2. since all remote act/work memo-rum /infrared buttons you put support for plastic buttons like sometime we do when our cover loose in mobile battery side .
3. For removing dust from copper circuit you can use thinner /isolation

Great work Bravo ....
Questions :
1. Cant it be possible by changing New battery of remote :)
2. since all remote act/work memo-rum /infrared buttons you put support for plastic buttons like sometime we do when our cover loose in mobile battery side .
3. For removing dust from copper circuit you can use thinner /isolation

Hmm you right but this DIY for Worn out remote buttons,i.e when you know that the remote isnt working properly owing to the issue with excessive use and due to dust or grim on the reverse side of the keypad.

Vikram i didnt get the other part of the questionaire of yours!

Sometimes its more fun to do things Desi style!

Well infact i wont even call it a "jugaad''.

It works really well and saves the money for bigger projects.LOLz:lol:

But that diy will not give lasting solution , after some use the foil will go off ..also the metal will scratch the pcb and damage it forever
other options
> most cities u will get the rubber pads for remote repair
or
> most places u will get 50Rs calculator rip it off and use the rubber pads .
or
>buy any remote in 50 bucks and use the rubber
or
>replace the remote with 100Rs programmable remote :http://cgi.ebay.in/All-One-Universa...6?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item483e70a668
once u have made ur buttons 2 work by using the trick u explained,,program the keys,...

Last edited:
I like his Jugad ... technology at-least he has given some idea to people how remote repairs and solved small small issues ,

Ofcourse this is not a lasting solution,atleast better than getting frustrated with the controller and pressing it hard.The whole process is short and sweet and takes hardly 15 minutes,besides the risks involved were explained and believe me it doesnt harm your old remote.

Ofcourse more ideas are welcome,Your idea of using the calculator pad buttons is cumbersome and require more mechanics and skills.

I have tried it as well and it is not foolproof,because the thickness of the buttons vary when you cut them and paste it onto your existing remote keypad.

We are not using Sandpaper or the real foil,this one's a paper with a coating.

Atleast this wont spoil the keypad forever.

Nice effort, abyshines. There are also conductive ink in small size bottles available in electronics repair shops which can be applied with brush on worn out rubber pads. Plus ready made conducive ink self adhesive dots are also available.
Regds.

just think once why they have given rubber pads instead of metal foil ... after some run the foil will go for sure .. but the trick is good we did this during engineering for CASIO calc

Nice effort, abyshines. There are also conductive ink in small size bottles available in electronics repair shops which can be applied with brush on worn out rubber pads. Plus ready made conducive ink self adhesive dots are also available.
Regds.

Thanks mate,I never knew about it.That bit would be very useful.
Kaushik i appreciate your concerns,I have just put a very simple and useful DIY.

That is what most of the DIY's are meant for.Cant be compared to anything,Besides these if's and but's will always loom over DIY stuff,that doesnt mean we should stop our imagination and our skills take a back seat.Atleast i would always love to find out ways to deal with everyday problems and solutions to them the way i love the most.

:cool:

I once did a simple restoration of a TV remote by cleaning the pcb and the keypad contact point with a cotton swab soaked in nail polish remover. Work like charm :clapping:

correct ! diy has it own charm

we should have a remote control diy thread ..i have posted some thread for remote testing with am radio ,that thread is hiding some where

With so many topics i find it little difficult to find threads easily on this forum.More so the forum is quite elaborate and discusses lot of things.

Try to find small bottle of Graphite solution from electronic components shop. They may call it carbon solution for remote.
After cleaning both the PCB and rubber pad using thinner, diluter or petrol and drying, apply thin coating of the solution on the rubber pad at contact points. Let it completely dry in the sun or by a hair dryer before putting all the things on place. Remote will work fine.

There are graphite and carbon compound based inks available in the electronic markets for arnd 20 bucks. Just open your remote very carefully cause there are plastic locks. And please use isopryl alcohol for cleaning up rubber pad and the pcb its the ideal solution for cleaning pcbs and can be purchased from any medical shop. once you're finished with cleaning apply the carbon compound on the black dot area of the rubber pad and leave it under a lamp for 1-2 minutes n close the remote. it wud work just fine.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back