Xbmc FTW!

^^ I think nVidia GT440 still lands up better with better Memory Clock, Memory Bus and Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec). Processor clock is also better.

^^ I think nVidia GT440 still lands up better with better Memory Clock, Memory Bus and Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec). Processor clock is also better.
I read your posts in the other thread. Some gurus in AV forums stated that ATI is better as it works good out of the box. I really don't know why ATI is better but it's a fanboy thingy that I feel ATI IQ is better than Nvidia ;)

Due to the placement of slots on my motherboard and the fact that I have Asus Xonar DX fitted in the PCIx1 slot the gpu I buy should :
> Be fanless. Small fans on HTPC GPUS die fast and are noisy!
> Fanless heatsink should be single slot not dual (dual slot won't simply fit.
> 3D enabled.

Due to this my options are very limited. Infact none available at this time (in the ATI line-up)

Will dig GT 440 you mentioned now...

For e.g. Something like this won't fit:

http://www.flipkart.com/asus-nvidia...b_33&ref=1d1f2143-5fb8-44e1-8084-10feb54985f0

21crs6o.jpg

^ This pic is older, I now have a HIS 5450 fitted fine but barely 2/3mm on top pf the DX. Very close. Funny situation, i know lol.

Last edited:
Its not ATI or nVidia, its the specs simple ....GT440 has much better specs than R5-230A simple .......

Technically speaking nvidia cards are better from Video playbacks and all coz of CUDA cores plus all nvidia cards starting from as low as GT430 natively support full 3D playback both for gaming and movies. ATI cards seems to better perform in gaming and have a better price performance ratio when it comes to gaming ......

3D in general in not ATI's forte, since NVidia's 3D Vision is much more mature and hence better than ATI's HD3D technology.

Lastly it would be difficult for you to find a fanless GPU in mid segment. Specially that which supports full 3D. I would not bank my purchase on this criteria though

Last edited:
I will have to either upgrade mobo/cpu or forget 3D for the time being.

Its not ATI or nVidia, its the specs simple ....GT440 has much better specs than R5-230A simple .......

Technically speaking nvidia cards are better from Video playbacks and all coz of CUDA cores plus all nvidia cards starting from as low as GT430 natively support full 3D playback both for gaming and movies. ATI cards seems to better perform in gaming and have a better price performance ratio when it comes to gaming ......

3D in general in not ATI's forte, since NVidia's 3D Vision is much more mature and hence better than ATI's HD3D technology.

Lastly it would be difficult for you to find a fanless GPU in mid segment. Specially that which supports full 3D. I would not bank my purchase on this criteria though

Why do you think it wont fit. I bought the same gpu and it does fit. Although its a bit tight it does fit. BTW, gt630 is the new model you wont find the gt440 anymore.
Look at the space above the sound card. A fanless 5450 fits barely (not shown in the pic). Asus GT 630 won't fit at all.

XBMC is awesome. It has worked with every file format I've used. Playback is smooth and great even on a low spec device like the Raspberry pi

I have tried many XBMC versions. PQ is very good in XBMC.
However for SQ, i find Pot Player and Media PLayer Classic beeter than XBMC.

I am not sure why. Any suggestions.

Some keyboard shortcuts using XBMC have come in very handy. The key below "Backspace" is to minimize/maximize XBMC.

I have tried many XBMC versions. PQ is very good in XBMC.
However for SQ, i find Pot Player and Media PLayer Classic beeter than XBMC.

I am not sure why. Any suggestions.

I also use the MPC-HC as the external player with XBMC and yes the MPC-HC is better because of the option of using the external filters. I use LAV + MadVR combination for video/audio playback and its a superb quality.

I am glad I have onboard ATI HD3000 as now I have to return the HD5450 to a friend :p

HD3000 is intel's onbord GPU not ATIs :) and dont get me wrong I am not actually very Pro Intel HD graphics, but just for XBMC I guess I should be fine.

HD3000 is intel's onbord GPU not ATIs :) and dont get me wrong I am not actually very Pro Intel HD graphics, but just for XBMC I guess I should be fine.

Nope, even some AMD boards has ATI Radeon HD 3000 graphics (DirectX10) built in by default.

Its an exception rather than a norm .... plus the ATI integrated gpu is called Radeon 3000 with no "HD" to be precise, HD3000 code name is used only for Intel ... :) (and this is only for onboard GPU I am talking about) ............. and it actually does not support DX10 AFAIK

Last edited:
If you ask me gigabyte has used the wrong terminology ..... It should be Integrated Radeon 3000. Check this mobo by ASUS, where I presume the listing is correct

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A78LTM_LE/specifications/

Also Check this ..

Radeon 3000 PC Gaming Graphics Card Hardware For Game System Requirements

Gigabyte link you posted says it uses the same AMD 760G Chipset. The game debate link clearly states Integrated GPU based on AMD 760G Chipset does not support DX10/11

I still believe most of these manufactures are confused between the terminologies, but I might be wrong. AFAIK Radeon 3000 integrated GPU is based on Desktop version of HD3000 series, and that is where the confusion lies .......... but as I said I might be wrong as well ....

PS ::: I just noticed in your gigabyte link you posted, scroll down to "Introduction" ATI's own logo says ATI Radeon 3000 without the "HD" ... :)

2zrjgp0.jpg

Last edited:
My new GPU Sapphire R7 240 should be here anyday now. I will try XBMC for 3D or else have to try some "popular" player.

Thats true. Lol I read HD somewhere and I just add it. The board has HDMI port and is pretty good even for blu rays.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back