Xbmc FTW!

Any inputs on possible options that would improve the sound quality for music, given that I am running on XBMC OpenElec ?
(When listening in stereo mode)

I would increase the RAM to minimum 8GB.

Cheers

Last edited:
I would increase the ARM to minimum 8GB.

Cheers

Do you mean the RAM ?
Currently there is absolutely no performance issue or symptoms of CPU overload or buffering problems etc..
It plays all formats 1080p videos from the n/w just fine.
So not sure how will increasing the RAM improve the sound quality ?

I was looking more in the lines of
- Additional dedicated sound card ??
- XBMC add-on's / plug-in player apps to be used etc..

Again not that this is affecting me in any way at the moment, but just the "itch" to tweak something if it can make things better. :D

Do you mean the RAM ? Currently there is absolutely no performance issue or symptoms of CPU overload or buffering problems etc..
It plays all formats 1080p videos from the n/w just fine. So not sure how will increasing the RAM improve the sound quality ?

You may not see issues now. But as you start populating your machine with software and data, it will start slowing down. Occasional jitter, glitches, and long wait for some software to load will start irritating you later.

Windows 7 and upwards, I would strongly recommend 8GB or more.

Another advantage of additional RAM is the use of some software that load all the sound files onto the memory and play from there. This is useful for playing music. In reality, people recommend the use of SSD and to load both the software and the music from there. The claim is that SSD 'kills' jitter, if any.

For music, a good sound card is ideal.

Cheers

Last edited:
@venkatcr, Thanks for your response. I understand to run windows 8GB RAM is ideal.
OpenELEC however being a linux build exclusive for XBMC runs fine with 4GB for now. Also have a 64GB SSD. All the actual media files are stored on the n/w however.

What I was not sure of was

1. If I plug in a sound card like say an Asus Xonar D2X, how do I route the connections via my HTPC > AVR > Video Display ?

- Video via HDMI > AVR ?
- Audio via analogue slots from the sound card > AVR ?
- XBMC settings to do this split etc.. ?

2. Given the speakers I have, would it be pointless to do all this as there would be no difference in sound unless I go for hi end speakers. ?

@venkatcr, Thanks for your response. I understand to run windows 8GB RAM is ideal.
OpenELEC however being a linux build exclusive for XBMC runs fine with 4GB for now. ?

4 GB should be more than sufficient if you are sticking to Openelec.

Although, I am not very happy with openelec/xbmc for audio its far too convenient to change.

DO check if the soundcard works with openelec

If you are doing a doubleboot with Windows then that may require more RAM.

Honestly, I think the speakers would need to change before you are looking at the soundcard.

OpenELEC however being a linux build exclusive for XBMC runs fine with 4GB for now. Also have a 64GB SSD. All the actual media files are stored on the n/w however.

Sorry, I did not understand what OpenELEC was.

1. If I plug in a sound card like say an Asus Xonar D2X, how do I route the connections via my HTPC > AVR > Video Display ?

- Video via HDMI > AVR ?

If you using an AVR, a sound card does not make much sense. It will be better to get a video card, and send the sound to the AVR digitally through a HDMI. Let the AVR do the processing.

Cheers

+1 Venkarcr, another recommendation would be if you can get a sound card with digital out (Coaxial/Optical) and put that directly in AVR. Its DAC would be good too for Analog conversion.

Anyway I haven't used XBMC for music much but I doubt it is best for music. However I have tried JRiver too, it sounds like something (virtual DSP) is running backend (programmed) which I didn't like. So I am using Foobar2000 with Wasapi :)

- Video via HDMI > AVR ?

2. Given the speakers I have, would it be pointless to do all this as there would be no difference in sound unless I go for hi end speakers. ?

If the funds permit I would suggest getting a ODAC and use with your Openelec and set it as the default sound device. I do that in my second stereo setup with Raspberry Pi. Its good and clean no issues and the ODAC is a very good/clean sounding DAC, so take the RCA out and connect to your receiver. Also the Openelec allows to use the DAC only for audio and the video files will automatically go via HDMI even though the ODAC is the default device. Use the XBMC app to control without switching on the TV/display for audio playback.

Last edited:
Did you try foo bar with Kernal Streaming(KS)?
The sound quality is on par with jRiver with that plug-in.

The bench marks may looks same but JRiver definitely sounds much better than foobar. This is coming from a once foobar fan (boy). Foobar sometimes simply can't handle low frequencies. It just fades off.

Nah that remote is way too user friendly :licklips:
One great thing about XBMC is multiroom setup. This is very important for me. I love the flexibility of stopping whatever I am watching in my living room setup and continue from where I left in my bedroom setup without the hassle of skipping/seeking :). Not sure if the other players you listed give this kind of flexibility.

You could also try the android xbmc remote. You might just ditch your MCE remote :).

Any people bought these (AmLogic s905/905X boxes) from one of these sites.. and Shipping/ Delivery/ Customs issues?

GearBest (looks more reliable / preferable)
BangGood
GeekBuying
EveryBuying

AliExpress

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back