Xtreamer Media Player (XMP) Owners Thread

So, if I download this 8GB mkv file, how do I play it on my HDTV? I know Xtreamer is an option. But what else? I do not want to play it on laptop and transfer the video to HDTV.

Is there a software that will convert such a mkv to DVD and will still retain the quality?
Also is the quality of this 8GB mkv better than a regular 8GB DVD?

Which HDTV do you own......... the new samsung LED series provides with a USB 2.0 movie port(not sure about other HDTV's) to which you can connect your EHDD and play all your .mkv files, but again you will not get DTS audio from this. Or use a PS3 with linux which will give you DTS audio also. And .mkv can be converted to .vob, but you cannot have 1080p/720p res. for dvd's..........max is 480p/NTSC and 576p/PAL.

And .mkv is HD where as dvd is not, hence it will have better PQ.

cheers

Which HDTV do you own......... the new samsung LED series provides with a USB 2.0 movie port(not sure about other HDTV's) to which you can connect your EHDD and play all your .mkv files, but again you will not get DTS audio from this. Or use a PS3 with linux which will give you DTS audio also. And .mkv can be converted to .vob, but you cannot have 1080p/720p res. for dvd's..........max is 480p/NTSC and 576p/PAL.

And .mkv is HD where as dvd is not, hence it will have better PQ.

cheers

Thanks for the response aneelr.
I have Panasonic 50X10. It doesn't have a USB port.

Q: So, if I convert 8GB mkv to 8GB DVD, will the PQ deteriorate?

Q: And on the other if the same 8GB mkv is played through Xtreamer, will I get the 720p PQ along with 5.1 audio?

Thanks,

Vikram

Q: So, if I convert 8GB mkv to 8GB DVD, will the PQ deteriorate?

You will not get HD res in .vob, and i'm not sure of the PQ when converting 1920/1080 res content to 720/480 res....there is a diff. in the aspect ratio between them, so a stretch/squash may happen.....

Q: And on the other if the same 8GB mkv is played through Xtreamer, will I get the 720p PQ along with 5.1 audio?
Yes, you will get 5.1 audio.

cheers

You will not get HD res in .vob, and i'm not sure of the PQ when converting 1920/1080 res content to 720/480 res....there is a diff. in the aspect ratio between them, so a stretch/squash may happen.....

Yes, you will get 5.1 audio.

cheers

Thank you so much.

So that means I have to get a Xtreamer to enjoy the HD quality of mkv files. Also, since my old HT, Samsung HT P10, only have a stero in and doesn't have a optical or coaxial input, I would have to buy a new HT to enjoy the multichannel audio from Xtreamer. May be, I should rather go for a Amp and speakers separately rather than buying a HTIB.

Hi all
Just want to check how many of xtreamer users ordered the E-trayz.

Did u order through xtreamer India or directly from website ?

If you ordered directly from website what is the process for the same ?
What all information do we require from Sumit ?

since there is no last date of ordering etrayz, I am holding back on buying it indefinitely. Let us see if we get another half cooked product that will have promises of everything in fw 2, or fw 3 and so on.

Well the booking starts from Nov1 so i will keep a close check and lookout on feedbacks on xtreamer.net and other forums once the unit is out.

Also i believe we can order the same directly from xtreamer.net after getting details of our units from Sumit.This option is for those who do not want to buy through him as there is a cost difference.

Guys today I checked full Blu Ray rip of 42GB and it had DTS HD master audio track but when I played the file on the Xtreamer then the losssy DTS was transmitted to my AVR rather than HD Audio and this confirms that as of now with the current firmware the HD Audio Pass through is not supported and it has been confirmed from the Xtreamer site that it would be supported after the 2.0 ver update, I thought that I should update this on the forum specially Aneelr wanted to buy it and to know about its HD audio capability over the current firmware.

It is not yet clear whether true hd passthrough would be supported in fw 2.0.
Beta testers have said it is not yet working as xtreamer is waiting for permission from companies that own the format specs.
Don't expect it any time soon.
Good news is that first beta of internet radio is included.Good news for me as I wanted to use xtreamer as a music player.

Guys today I checked full Blu Ray rip of 42GB and it had DTS HD master audio track but when I played the file on the Xtreamer then the losssy DTS was transmitted to my AVR rather than HD Audio and this confirms that as of now with the current firmware the HD Audio Pass through is not supported and it has been confirmed from the Xtreamer site that it would be supported after the 2.0 ver update, I thought that I should update this on the forum specially Aneelr wanted to buy it and to know about its HD audio capability over the current firmware.

Hi,

Thanks dude, I also got to check this yesterday......one of our forum member(santhol2) had dropped into my place with his xtreamer, and I also did a test for DTS-HD-MA and no positive results........lets wait for the firmware update.

Thanks.

Guys I have been able to find out the links to download the beta version of the firmware 2.0.0beta2 and beta 4 but before applying this update make sure you have the latest official firmware installed on your Xtreamer i.e ver1.0.3.1.
The following things are suppose to be fixed in the above beta firmware:

New features : in ver 2.0.b2
BD ISO playback support.(Dont supports menu navigation).
Change from SD UI to HD UI.
Support DTS HD Master Audio down-mixing and pass-through
Dolby TrueHD down-mixing.
Support MKV internal idx+sub subtitle
Network virtual Remote Control.
URL http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/rc for mobile device.
URL http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/rc2.
Multilingual support from keyboard to search, rename etc.
Usable from PC/IPhone/mobile hand phone(including web browser)
Hostname Change Support
Web setup->DDNS/Hostname
\\hostname (to access Samba share), http://hostname:portnumber (to access web service).
UI effect sound.(Setup->System->Effect Sound).
Video playback window size decreased in internet menu.
Press zoom button to toggle (Full Screen/Small Screen).
Zoom and navigation support for Weather map .
Home menu UI can support multiple languages.
Bug fixed :
24p cinema mode
FLAC file playback including id3tag.
Movie including FLAC audio codec playback support.
Sometime crashes when displaying Folder JPG in preview window.
Max 16 character input in keyboard changed to Max 128 character
Direct numbers input from remote control to keyboard
DEL/SP key problem fixed for Chinese keyboard
After returning from NAS Mode, photo crash problem fixed
Audio file play problem solved from UPnP client,
Play/Pause both works for Internet Video playback
Romanian code page changed A. ISO-8859-2 -> ISO-8859-16
Improvements :
Improve HDMI compatibility.
Audio volume normalize.(except AAC, WMA pro).
Network playback streaming speed up.
Change Music Jukebox UI.
Change weather UI.
Change video playback information window.
Change wireless Network UI.
Increase subtitle window size
Changed loading image for internet menu.
Changed keyboard UI for internet menu.
Reduced changing time between wireless and wired network.
Arabic characters shaping from separate character.
Language added (Arabic, Estonia, Hungarian, Slovenia, Vietnam) in web interface.
Next version TODO list :
Some HDMI TV, HDMI 1080P not smooth playback and flickering.
External ODD compatibility.
USB Pen driver compatibility.
Improve UI in internet.
Internet Radio.
Photo thumbnail display.

Xtreamer 2.0.0 beta4 release notes (from 2.0.0 beta2)
New features:

Internet Radio.
A. Internet Radio option added in main OSD.
B. .plsx extension detection support for internet radio.
C. Same file format for .pls and .plsx
D. User can use internet radio files residing in their internal or external HDD.
Photo thumbnail display.(in Photo menu)
A. Preview button toggles between Preview off/Preview on/Photo Thumbnail in Photo menu if there is any photo file in that folder.
Bug fixed:

Chinese missing character support.
During Audio Passthrough, mpeg audio(mp3) will be PCM.
After navigation to a file and hitting the Enter key delays to start movie(takes 2~3 click).
Samba Share of windows 7 cant be seen.
From virtual remote control when press go button for searching in iPhone Xtreamer turns off.
Center alignment of Arabic subtitle.
No subtitle displayed while playing video if 1080P 24Hz set from setup menu.
Noise sound during navigation and starting music playback.
Improvements:

Internet Video preview displays current time/total time and progress bar with buffering bar.
Rewind, Fast Forward button added in virtual remote control.
Fan speed manual setting from 0 ~ 200.
UTF8/UTF16 auto detection when no selection of Unicode in SUB-T/ID3TAG .
Booting time decreased
A. Normally 25~30 sec[varies for HDMI detection & HDD or USB].
Moved playback of movie preparation time after clicking play button.
Font size and status icons size increased a little for SD TV user.
Detection of external ODD improved.
A. If cant detect, go to Home and press Eject. It will retry to detect.
B. To eject DVD go to Home menu and press Eject button(when DVD is detected).
Audio Jukebox UI changed.
Changed fast forward from 1.1X to 0.8X in video playback.
Fast forward from 1.0X to 2.0X displays subtitle also.
Delete function added to remote control Delete (3) button.

The links to the above beta firmware are as follows:
Ver 2.0.b2 : fw_xtreamer_v2.0.rar

Ver 2.0.b4 : but apply the same after installed ver 2.0.b2 on the Xtreamer
http://gator884.hostgator.com/~xtreamer/Xtreamer_2.0.0b4.zip

Last edited:
Guys I have been able to find out the links to download the beta version of the firmware 2.0.0beta2 and beta 4 but before applying this update make sure you have the latest official firmware installed on your Xtreamer i.e ver1.0.3.1.

Hey, any luck with DTS-HD-MA and DD-THD with this firmware upgrade.

Thanks

I have installed both the beta firmwares on the Xtreamer but still Hd Audio is not allowed to pass through, but thats the only bad part otherwise there is some news for ANM to cheer as the Internet radio started working from F/W ver 2.0.0.4b onwards, and the HD GUI looks fantastic.The add on remote application for iPhone and iPod touch is very good indeed and works like a charm.

Last edited:
I have installed both the beta firmwares on the Xtreamer but still Hd Audio is not allowed to pass through, but thats the only bad part otherwise there is some news for ANM to cheer as the Internet radio started working from F/W ver 2.0.0.4b onwards, and the HD GUI looks fantastic.

Hi,

Thanks for the review.........if you don't mind can you pls post some pic's of the HDgui(just out of curiosity.)

thanks.

Hello everyone!

I am trying to decide between WDTV and Xtreamer

My thoughts / situation are as follows:

1. WDTV may be more established and at present costing less @ Rs. 7500
2. At the same time, WDTV may be almost end-of-life with WDTV2 coming in
3. Future updates on WDTV may not come / be delayed
4. Xtreamer costing Rs. 9990/- + 650/- = 10,640/-, includes Wifi adapter
5. Xtreamer may be more future proof with support for HD audio in future
6. Future updates may be better supported on Xtreamer and WDTV2, not WDTV
7. HD movies with HD audio are less common and downloads are HUGE. So we may not really use HD audio capability of Xtreamer
8. At present, I have Yamaha Receiver (only DD, DTS etc., not HD audio)
9. No intention of changing receiver anytime soon now. Hence, I cannot use HD audio
10. TV is Samsung 40" LA40R7 (old model now) with 720p display. Hence 1080p HD video may not be much use to me, only 720p
11. HDMI on this TV may be 1.2 or prior
12. HDMI cable is the stock one provided with Samsung DVD player HD 860
13. My DVD player has no USB input, so need a media player. But want to play HD movies, with MKV
14. I have at present no clue how to do streaming of movies from PC to Xtreamer, but I can learn. But what is the big benefit in this?
15. I have Wireless-G router (Linksys WAG-200G). Will it support streaming of HD movies on wireless or do I need Wireless-N? I do not want to change my wireless setup now
16. At present I have a Transcend 160GB USB hard disk (external), powered on USB port only. I will buy extra HDD later.
17. If I decide on Xtreamer, should I opt for the optical cables offered by Xtreamer India, or buy separately?
18. Can I continue to use the same HDMI cable which I have now?
19. Xtreamer being HDMI 1.3, will it support playing on my TV (which is HDMI 1.2 or less)?
20. Is it true that we can connect a USB based DVD drive (is this kind of drive available) and play DVD from DVD drive?
21. If above is true, can this be extended to playing BD movies on external BD drive on USB? If not now, in the long run?

The difference between WDTV and Xtreamer is now about Rs. 3000/-
What are your suggestions? WDTV or Xtreamer? How about above issues?

Perhaps some of the queries may be already discussed, in which case, please excuse and help me. I did go through the threads, but some of the above points not clear.

Sumit (Xtreamer) says that wifi antenna will be bundled free only until 7th November 2009

Please help

Thanks
Churfsan

My 2 cents on it : if you have the budget go for xtreamer as it is a good product with serious development happening on firmwares and in the longer run it will turn out well.

With WDTV i am a bit skeptical now as the WDTV 2 has come out, tomorrow they may come out with a WDTV 3 which will support more features and stuff.

Also it depends on budget .

While we are on the topic, E-Trayz has been launched and pre order bookings have started, the total cost is 84 euros which comes up to Rs 5825 shipped. Only customs duty of around Rs 1375 will be extra which one needs to pay.

The total comes out to Rs 7200.

Has anyone ordered the E-trayz till now

Its better to buy till the time offer is there as later on for the antenna itself the cost will go up by Rs 1500 if not more ....

Better to go for entire package with cables .

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back