Xtreamer Media Player (XMP) Owners Thread

Guys,

After reading all the posts, I am getting really interested in Xtreamer but I have one basic question.

The current DVD players also have the USB 2.0 capability, so one connect a 1TB external Hard Disk to the DVDp and watch the downloaded media.
So, what is the extra that Xtreamer offers, apart from WIFI capability. Is there a big difference in PQ? I want to know so that I can make an informed decision.

I have a Panasonic 50X10 so looking for a upscaling player with USB capability or otherwise a Xteamer.

Thanks,

Vikram

Guys,

After reading all the posts, I am getting really interested in Xtreamer but I have one basic question.

The current DVD players also have the USB 2.0 capability, so one connect a 1TB external Hard Disk to the DVDp and watch the downloaded media.
So, what is the extra that Xtreamer offers, apart from WIFI capability. Is there a big difference in PQ? I want to know so that I can make an informed decision.

I have a Panasonic 50X10 so looking for a upscaling player with USB capability or otherwise a Xteamer.

Thanks,

Vikram

Hi,

I was also googling for the same info..........thaught that instead of a WDTV/Xtreamer buy a Bluray Player with a USB 2.0 movie port and use it to watch my movies. But all these players are FAT32 complaint and most of my movies are 6-8-12-14 GB in size and hence not readable by these USB ports. So if this is not an issue in your case you can go in for a DVDp/BlurayP.(I've decided to go with the Xtreamer).

cheers

Thanks for the reply.
But I am not clear on why your movies will not play via USB. Could you please explain what is the condition why movies will not play via USB.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply.
But I am not clear on why your movies will not play via USB. Could you please explain what is the condition why movies will not play via USB.

Thanks in advance.

In a FAT32 complaint device the max. single file size acceptable is 4gb. You cannot copy any file which is more that 4gb into a HDD which is formated in FAT32. If you want to do that you'r HDD should be in NTFS format. And all these USB ports in the DVDp/BlurayP does not read NTFS HDD/pendrive.

Cheers

Last edited:
In a FAT32 complaint device the max. single file size acceptable is 4gb. You cannot copy any file which is more that 4gb into a HDD which is formated in FAT32. If you want to do that you'r HDD should be in NTFS format. And all these USB ports in the DVDp/BlurayP does not read NTFS HDD/pendrive.

Cheers

Any file size( no max limit) shall be transfered from your laptop or PC thru your wireless router via Media Server:Tversity / Windows media player and it will play flawless( but you should convert the files mkv files playable by MKV2VOB in ps3)... Limit is there only for transfer via USB in PS3

Regards

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks, I'm going to place an order for the same, just waiting for a fellow member to get his piece to my place so that I can test it to the max. level.

And sell off my WDTV for good......

Thanks.
Like I mentioned on PM, this weekend was too hectic, so could not come over. I shall drop in during this week with my xtreamer.

I have a dumb question,how different is playing videos through a media player like Xtreamer different from playing stuff on your laptop using an HDMI out to your HDTv.?

It all depends on the graphic card and output that it has. Ideally it would be better to use a HTPC rather than laptop. As for continuous running the laptop will heat up and may require additional cooling.

Also for taking the audio out, you should have the option available either through HDMI or SPDIF port.

Guys,

Thanks,

Vikram
Ur DVD player with USB will have very limited capability to play all sorts of files. Like it will not play MKV files. To play those you require a NMT like WDTV or xtreamer with which u can connect a external hdd and play HD files regardless of the size, the limitation of Fat 32 also comes into play with the dvd player's , such restrictions are not there with NMT's,

Thanks guys. This forum is an excellent place to get A/V queries answered.
I had no idea that such a file limitation existed for FAT32 file systems.

I have a few more queries:

1. Is there a PQ difference between the up scaled video from USB and the up scaled video from Xtreamer.

2. Also, which is the best file format that I can download from internet for HD movies. (HD PQ and 5.1 audio)

3. Is Xtreamer capable of providing 5.1 audio out.

Thanks,

Vikram

Ur DVD player with USB will have very limited capability to play all sorts of files. Like it will not play MKV files. To play those you require a NMT like WDTV or xtreamer with which u can connect a external hdd and play HD files regardless of the size, the limitation of Fat 32 also comes into play with the dvd player's , such restrictions are not there with NMT's,

In addition, a big advantage of Xtreamer is its ability to play true HD content at 1080p resolution directly off the USB drive, which cannot be done by any DVD player.

I have a dumb question,how different is playing videos through a media player like Xtreamer different from playing stuff on your laptop using an HDMI out to your HDTv.?

In case of using laptop, you need to have the required codecs installed to play all the file types and a pretty decent media player. This will also require some good processing capability, so a high end laptop will be required to play the media flawlessly. Not sure if the inbuilt chipset on laptops are capable of handling 1080p signals and multi-channel DTS/HD audio through its HDMI ports.

Thanks guys. This forum is an excellent place to get A/V queries answered.
I had no idea that such a file limitation existed for FAT32 file systems.

I have a few more queries:

1. Is there a PQ difference between the up scaled video from USB and the up scaled video from Xtreamer.

2. Also, which is the best file format that I can download from internet for HD movies. (HD PQ and 5.1 audio)

3. Is Xtreamer capable of providing 5.1 audio out.

Thanks,

Vikram

1. If the file is same and playable on both, there may not be a perceptible difference.
2. Most HD videos on internet are encoded in H.264/AVC with a .mkv extension. There are some sample HD wmv files also which can be downloaded from Microsoft website. Most of these will work with Xtreamer.
3. Xtreamer is capable of providing 5.1 channel output for most cases. More formats such as DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD are expected to be supported by future firmware revisions.

Hi,

I was also googling for the same info..........thaught that instead of a WDTV/Xtreamer buy a Bluray Player with a USB 2.0 movie port and use it to watch my movies. But all these players are FAT32 complaint and most of my movies are 6-8-12-14 GB in size and hence not readable by these USB ports. So if this is not an issue in your case you can go in for a DVDp/BlurayP.(I've decided to go with the Xtreamer).

cheers

Are your movies Blue Ray rips (12 GB, 14 GB) etc. Are these available on torrent?

Hi,

Not sure about torrents, i dont use torrents..........i use rapidshare. And all are either BD Rips(i.e .mkv) or BD copies (i.e .m2ts) files.

cheers.

One thought keeps bugging me. We talk about media players capable of playing 1080p HD Video and also HD Audio etc .. butttt .. do files that are ripped and compressed retain the original Video and Audio resolution?

Does one really get true 1080p in a 8gb ripped file?

One thought keeps bugging me. We talk about media players capable of playing 1080p HD Video and also HD Audio etc .. butttt .. do files that are ripped and compressed retain the original Video and Audio resolution?

Does one really get true 1080p in a 8gb ripped file?

Hi,

You do get true 1080p in a 8gb ripped file, and if it is a rip (i.e .mkv) i guess there will be no HD audio, but if it is a copy (i.e .m2ts) it does have HD audio.

cheers.

Hi,

You do get true 1080p in a 8gb ripped file, and if it is a rip (i.e .mkv) i guess there will be no HD audio, but if it is a copy (i.e .m2ts) it does have HD audio.

I'm not aware of the technicalities but I'm unable to fathom how an original data to the tune of 25GB or more, can be reduced to 6-8GB and still maintain the same resolution. Just pure compression surely should not be able to achieve that much reduction in size. So some data is being removed as part of the process ?

Comparing with mp3, 320kbps sounds pretty good to me, but it does remove part of the original data in the file and then compresses.

Edit: I'm not contesting the quality of the rips. They do look lovely. Am just trying to understand whether the resolution is retained.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of the technicalities but I'm unable to fathom how an original data to the tune of 25GB or more, can be reduced to 6-8GB and still maintain the same resolution. Just pure compression surely should not be able to achieve that much reduction in size. So some data is being removed as part of the process ?

Comparing with mp3, 320kbps sounds pretty good to me, but it does remove part of the original data in the file and then compresses.

Edit: I'm not contesting the quality of the rips. They do look lovely. Am just trying to understand whether the resolution is retained.

Hi,

The Bluray Disc which is of 25gb-50gb capacity contains other additional data such as Deleted Scenes, Directors/Art Directors Interviews, Behind the scenes etc. etc. hence it is 25GB-50GB in size......... but the actual movie (only) in Anamorphic Wide Screen Res of 1080p Res will come upto 16-20 GB.
And this particular format is a .m2ts format which has a sequence of files........and not a single file......... on the other hand the 6-8Gb file are .mkv files which may not have DTS-HD MA (will have only DTS5.1) and a little degraded PQ compared to the original bluray........though the degradation in the PQ will not be easily readable to human eye.

cheers

Hi,

The Bluray Disc which is of 25gb-50gb capacity contains other additional data such as Deleted Scenes, Directors/Art Directors Interviews, Behind the scenes etc. etc. hence it is 25GB-50GB in size......... but the actual movie (only) in Anamorphic Wide Screen Res of 1080p Res will come upto 16-20 GB.
And this particular format is a .m2ts format which has a sequence of files........and not a single file......... on the other hand the 6-8Gb file are .mkv files which may not have DTS-HD MA (will have only DTS5.1) and a little degraded PQ compared to the original bluray........though the degradation in the PQ will not be easily readable to human eye.

cheers

So, if I download this 8GB mkv file, how do I play it on my HDTV? I know Xtreamer is an option. But what else? I do not want to play it on laptop and transfer the video to HDTV.

Is there a software that will convert such a mkv to DVD and will still retain the quality?
Also is the quality of this 8GB mkv better than a regular 8GB DVD?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back