Yahama AS500 with KEF Q300 Suggesations!!..

satyajit

I ordered KEF Q300 speakers last wednesday from PROFX and got them for 30k all inclusive, which I think is a pretty good price and I will get them this week hopefully. Now to get an amp for them.

Before I being, Amps in Kolkata is very limited as far as I know. Looking for various band for several months and was only been able to find Yahama and Denon, and one NAD 326BEE which i didnt liked.

Atfirst, I contacted Yahama dealers in kolkata, as I was willing to get Yahama AS500 amp to go with the speakers, said they will get me the amp in few days. Now, they are saying its out of stock and dont know when they will have in stock. So I contacted a dealer in Amedhabad, who has a stock ready and has agreed to send me via courier.

So Before I order it I want to clarify few points.

The first thing I want to know is that, since I didnt get any chance to audition them due to unavailibility, please let me know if they will be a good match. (Asked What hifi on twitter and they said "Yes, they will be a good match") I will prefer a neutral sounding amp so that if needed I can tune the bass and treble setting to my taste. I want more opinions on this thats all.

Secondly, should I consider Marantz PM6004 over Yahama AS500 with these speakers?. I dont know any Marantz dealers in Kolkata so have to get them from outside my city. I saw both the internal circuit designs of the amps (Yahama, Denon, Marantz), and I think Yahama has done a better job and its more professional looking. But, ofc sound can be different.

Yahama AS700 (AS500 is identical except for the power stage)
Yamaha_AS700_gi2.jpg

Denon PMA710AE
denon_PMA-710AE.jpg

I listen to mosty pop/soft rock, classical, country, orchestra, DJ so I concentrate mostly on vocals, instrumentals & clean tight bass.

To note, for now my input source is my PC, which has ASUS Xonar STX sound card which I think is very best that can be found in PC and has a Ti Burr Brown DAC. Later will get a CD Player. Below are its spec:

Xonar STX:
------------
DAC:
1x Burr-Brown PCM1792A (stereo mode) - 127dB Dynamic Range - THD+N: 0.0004%
Supports 16-20-24bit up to 192kHz
SSOP-28 package

So, if they are all good together I will order the Yahama AS500 amp. I will not be able to replace it once bought so please advice. Also, if anyone knows any contacts here in kolkata for Amplifier dealers who are still active let me know. Thanks.

Almost forgot to mention PROFX have Denon PMA-710AE Amp which I auditioned with these speakers. Well this was the only amp I audiotioned and to me they sounded really well. But ofc cant say how good it is compared to Yahama AS500 or Marantz.

Yamaha AS500 would be a good match with KEF. But I have never auditioned Marantz or Denon with them so I cannot comment.

What is the current price of AS700?

Try to get the Yamaha AS700 is your budget permits. The AS700 is much much superior than AS500 since it contains a much more robust power supply unit(Most costly unit of a stereo amp). The AS700 has a 247VA transformer, which means you will get a solid 130 watts of continious power available all the time & counting the power capacitors it will rise to 180 watts or even more of dynamic power for sure which equates to Yamahas claim of 90 watts X 2.

The AS300 & AS500 are specifically designed for the asian markets while the AS700, AS1000 & AS2000 are for global markets. This is the reason why they have matching CD players like CD-S700,CD-S1000 & CD-S2000.

Not saying AS500 is bad, it is an excellent product for its price, but try to gun for AS700 and you will never regret. You will get an amp which will stay with you to power even the biggest hulking towers speakers.

Best of luck.:)

Thanks for the reply, I was also thinking about Yahama RX-V671 amp/reviever which is also a five star product and according to what hifi "It has undergone a similar tuning process to that involved with Yamahas most recent sonic success, the A-S500 stereo amplifier".

My main aim is to listen to music on 2 channels and I want the best sound fidality available at this price point. So let me know what u think about the stereo performace between AS500 and RX-V671.

Thanks

Pls dont think that 671 will perform close to AS500.
I connected 667 to Q100 & sound was not gr8 for music.

Thanks for the reply, I was also thinking about Yahama RX-V671 amp/reviever which is also a five star product and according to what hifi "It has undergone a similar tuning process to that involved with Yamahas most recent sonic success, the A-S500 stereo amplifier".

My main aim is to listen to music on 2 channels and I want the best sound fidality available at this price point. So let me know what u think about the stereo performace between AS500 and RX-V671.

Thanks

Read the forum insted of depending on one guru:eek:hyeah:.
Many places you see examples very humble 2 channel stereo ,beating a beefy much much expensive AVR..

what you have read is marketing BS --read between the lines

+1 to that. If you don't have plans to expand to 5.1 setup in future , just stick to 2 channel amp and enjoy the music.

+1.

You have to remember that stereo amps are specificaly tuned keeping music in mind, so they will definitely be more musical than an AVR of similar price.

If you are planning for music listening better stay put to stereo amps.

Just returned from a demo from Yahama showroom, but they didnt have the AS500. So, I have auditioned Yahama RX-V671 and AS700 on yahama floor stands. Though they costs 43.5k i cant justify their price yet. I didnt get the "wow" feel.

The showroom guy continously said both of the above were better than AS500, I am getting so confused now. They also said that RX-V671 will give 100 watt RMS output on continous 8 ohms speakers when switched to 2 channels stereo mode and I think that it will be dangerous close to KEF Q300's 120 watt @ 8ohms limit specially on high volumes.

Let me know what you all think.

EDIT: I will be very happy to get something in my budget which is 30K for the amps. I will extend it only if I get something that is good to justify the price point.

Last edited:

Thanks for this valuable input. :)

+1.

You have to remember that stereo amps are specificaly tuned keeping music in mind, so they will definitely be more musical than an AVR of similar price.

If you are planning for music listening better stay put to stereo amps.

Ok, thanks for reverting me back to Amps, I will focus on that only. :)

Just returned from a demo from Yahama showroom, but they didnt have the AS500. So, I have auditioned Yahama RX-V671 and AS700 on yahama floor stands. Though they costs 43.5k i cant justify their price yet. I didnt get the "wow" feel.

The showroom guy continously said both of the above were better than AS500, I am getting so confused now. They also said that RX-V671 will give 100 watt RMS output on continous 8 ohms speakers when switched to 2 channels stereo mode and I think that it will be dangerous close to KEF Q300's 120 watt @ 8ohms limit specially on high volumes.

Let me know what you all think.

EDIT: I will be very happy to get something in my budget which is 30K for the amps. I will extend it only if I get something that is good to justify the price point.

Look i will never even consider V671 for serious music listening. To me the AS500 & AS700 are better options. I think you should audition your KEF's with Yamaha, Marantz & NAD amps.

When your KEF's arrive take them to the Yamaha store and audition them with AS500 & AS700. If you do not like the sound signature switch to amps of different make like marantz & NAD.

When your KEF's arrive take them to the Yamaha store and audition them with AS500 & AS700. If you do not like the sound signature switch to amps of different make like marantz & NAD.

Thanks, thats what I was thinking of. But regarding other amps from Marantz & NAD, they are not available in Kolkata. Regarding the NAD 326 BEE amp i mentioned before, the guy at Digital Acoustics in Rishi Road is BS, he is not interested in showing stuffs and so discouraging. I prefer not to go to him.

If you know any one selling those please let me know.

I am sure there will be members here from Kolkata who own those amps. See if you can find them and request them to allow an audition with kefs.

Thanks, thats what I was thinking of. But regarding other amps from Marantz & NAD, they are not available in Kolkata. Regarding the NAD 326 BEE amp i mentioned before, the guy at Digital Acoustics in Rishi Road is BS, he is not interested in showing stuffs and so discouraging. I prefer not to go to him.

If you know any one selling those please let me know.

satyajit it is up to you to decide which amp you are going to use with your KEF's. I have heard KEF 500 + AS700 and they provided a very good sounstage + sound quality.

But you have to understand that SQ is subjective and varies from person to person.

You may find and ultimately like the Marantz PM7004 + KEF's to be better than Yammy + KEF's since your choice & liking about SQ may be different from mine.

So where ever you go take your KEF's and audition. When you find the perfect match buy it. Believe in yourself. Ultimately that is what matters.

i got 2nd hand Kef Q300s + marantz pm6003, both well run in. The set up is extremely musical and neutral (not too bright at high f and not boomy at lows), but it does feel that KEFs barely start breathing with 6003's 45W per channel.

Q300s need good placement, at least 2 feet from the sides and around 1 foot from the back of the wall to realize its greatness. It becomes bass-y if placed closed to walls, so invest in a pair of stands.

I already feel wanting a little more power from the amp. So i suggest you go in for an amp which is at least > 60/65 w per channel.

i got 2nd hand Kef Q300s + marantz pm6003, both well run in. The set up is extremely musical and neutral (not too bright at high f and not boomy at lows), but it does feel that KEFs barely start breathing with 6003's 45W per channel.

Q300s need good placement, at least 2 feet from the sides and around 1 foot from the back of the wall to realize its greatness. It becomes bass-y if placed closed to walls, so invest in a pair of stands.

I already feel wanting a little more power from the amp. So i suggest you go in for an amp which is at least > 60/65 w per channel.

Wow, thanks for this info *thumbs up*

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back