Yamaha WXC-50

Hi - I am looking for a digital audio transport/streamer for a head-fi setup and considering Yamaha WXC-50. I have an external DAC with Coax input and an external AMP as well.
Going by some of the previous comments and online reviews there are conflicting inputs if one can connect an external HDD straight into WXC50 through USB or not. I am looking to seek clarity on the same from users of this device. I have about 2TB of offline audio files that i'd like to play other than streaming services.
I am also open to explore similar budget options (if any), else will look at rpi based DIY solutions like the Allo Digione Signature.

Thanks a lot!

Hi - I am looking for a digital audio transport/streamer for a head-fi setup and considering Yamaha WXC-50. I have an external DAC with Coax input and an external AMP as well.
Going by some of the previous comments and online reviews there are conflicting inputs if one can connect an external HDD straight into WXC50 through USB or not. I am looking to seek clarity on the same from users of this device. I have about 2TB of offline audio files that i'd like to play other than streaming services.
I am also open to explore similar budget options (if any), else will look at rpi based DIY solutions like the Allo Digione Signature.

Thanks a lot!
You will not be able to connect an external HDD of the 2.5" portable kind, as the WXC-50 does not supply enough power. But, you will be able to connect a USB thumb drive. (I used to own a WXC-50).

I had not tried connecting a powered external HDD (the kind that has its own power supply). Perhaps this might work. And this might be the reason for the conflicting reports.

Hi Murali, whats the quality of amplification like on the WXA50 when compared to similarly priced amps that you've heard?
Bump. I'd like to know too pls. Some comparisons would be most helpful. Particularly interested to get actual ownership of a Class D amp which in some circles are considered "dry" sounding.

Bump. I'd like to know too pls. Some comparisons would be most helpful. Particularly interested to get actual ownership of a Class D amp which in some circles are considered "dry" sounding.
This post was quite a long time ago. I have not yet heard the Yamaha but managed to acquire some similarly priced competition such as the SMSL DA-9, SMSL DA-8S and Crown XLS1502.

Except for the tiny footprint of the SMSLs, i prefer the sound coming from my Marantz PM6006 (because comparing it to the CXA81 would be unfair). I'm not saying the SMSL is bad, just that it doesn't quite do it for me.

At the very least, the SMSLs sound detailed, which is great. I'd go so far as to say it sounds more detailed than my PM6006 (a second opinion would definitely help). However, if your tweeters are sensitive enough and you have a reasonably transparent chain (i was driving the SMSL DA9 with an Allo Digione Signature>Mogami Coaxial>RME ADI-2 DAC FS>MOGAMI XLR>SMSL DA9>Quad S5+Dual REL T9is), it's easy to pick out that treble isn't very refined. The Marantz PM6006 glosses over ultimate detail but compensates with a bit more refinement and better mid range body - which is more to my preference. With the CXA81, i get the detail retrieval of the SMSLs in the treble with the refinement that i like about the Marantz.

I've linked further impressions of why i wouldn't consider these Amps as my first preference for music below:

Post in thread 'Mission or Wharfedale with Marantz PM5005' https://www.hifivision.com/threads/mission-or-wharfedale-with-marantz-pm5005.85362/post-997010

Having said that, i know of a number of people who like the presentation of similar class D amps so it could just be me.

Last edited:

I am still a beginner in the journey so take it for what its worth. When i made purchase of WXA-50 at Profx, i had opportunity to drive Kef r3. At same time compared against denon PMA1600 driving kef r3. I could not make much difference. I have used WXA 50 with Klipsch rp-600m for over two years. Over the time occasionally used class A and class AB amp. I cant not see any difference.

Since its all in one solution, i can say it sound much cleaner. Musiccast app is great too.

This is accurate review IMO

This post was quite a long time ago. I have not yet heard the Yamaha but managed to acquire some similarly priced competition such as the SMSL DA-9, SMSL DA-8S and Crown XLS1502.

Except for the tiny footprint of the SMSLs, i prefer the sound coming from my Marantz PM6006 (because comparing it to the CXA81 would be unfair). I'm not saying the SMSL is bad, just that it doesn't quite do it for me.

At the very least, the SMSLs sound detailed, which is great. I'd go so far as to say it sounds more detailed than my PM6006 (a second opinion would definitely help). However, if your tweeters are sensitive enough and you have a reasonably transparent chain (i was driving the SMSL DA9 with an Allo Digione Signature>Mogami Coaxial>RME ADI-2 DAC FS>MOGAMI XLR>SMSL DA9>Quad S5+Dual REL T9is), it's easy to pick out that treble isn't very refined. The Marantz PM6006 glosses over ultimate detail but compensates with a bit more refinement and better mid range body - which is more to my preference. With the CXA81, i get the detail retrieval of the SMSLs in the treble with the refinement that i like about the Marantz.

I've linked further impressions of why i wouldn't consider these Amps as my first preference for music below:

Post in thread 'Mission or Wharfedale with Marantz PM5005' https://www.hifivision.com/threads/mission-or-wharfedale-with-marantz-pm5005.85362/post-997010

Having said that, i know of a number of people who like the presentation of similar class D amps so it could just be me.Thanks DB, that is a really helpful post from someone who has actually taken the effort to collect the amount of gear you have - ti

Having said that, i know of a number of people who like the presentation of similar class D amps so it could just be me.
Thanks DB for that quick and insightful response. Always appreciate your thoughts given the amount of gear you've collected and your openness to discuss/debate. From your subjective experiences it seems the more affordable Class D stuff is getting better but may still miss the "refinement/musicality/(distortion?)" of similarly powered AB amps. The SMSL DA 9 is actually back on hpz since yesterday but this lack of refinement and their user reported qc issues make it too much of a gamble.

I am still a beginner in the journey so take it for what its worth. When i made purchase of WXA-50 at Profx, i had opportunity to drive Kef r3. At same time compared against denon PMA1600 driving kef r3. I could not make much difference. I have used WXA 50 with Klipsch rp-600m for over two years. Over the time occasionally used class A and class AB amp. I cant not see any difference.

Since its all in one solution, i can say it sound much cleaner. Musiccast app is great too.

This is accurate review IMO

Thanks Murali, we are all learning together. You are lucky to have heard the R3 - that's very much a bucket list speaker for me. I actually had a chance to listen to the RP 600s recently - they were too bright/aggressive for my taste and would certainly need a sub imho but well in line with what most reviewers have covered. I think iiWi reviews are pretty good too, though all YT reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt. He also mentions that slightly "dry" mid presentation which I'm guessing correlates with DB1989's impressions of the DA9. Still, for the price the wxa 50 with its feature set is really tempting. What class A/AB amps did you use?

Thanks DB for that quick and insightful response. Always appreciate your thoughts given the amount of gear you've collected and your openness to discuss/debate. From your subjective experiences it seems the more affordable Class D stuff is getting better but may still miss the "refinement/musicality/(distortion?)" of similarly powered AB amps.
I wouldn't call it a lack of refinement per se, which would indicate that the sound is rough or sibilant. The context is necessary i.e. not as refined as some of the other amps I have.

This "lack of refinement" is more evident with my chain (those ribbon tweeters on the Quads expose everything and can be pretty unforgiving) and listening space which is treated. And while it may not be my first preference, the reason for the abovesaid acquisitions, besides my curiosity, was the tiny footprint of the SMSL DA9. It is nestled on top of a perfume drawer which could have never accommodated the PM6006. And the sound is very good, just that i prefer the PM6006 to it.

The SMSL DA 9 is actually back on hpz since yesterday but this lack of refinement and their user reported qc issues make it too much of a gamble.
Whoa! Could you elaborate?

I wouldn't call it a lack of refinement per se, which would indicate that the sound is rough or sibilant. The context is necessary i.e. not as refined as some of the other amps I have.

This "lack of refinement" is more evident with my chain (those ribbon tweeters on the Quads expose everything and can be pretty unforgiving) and listening space which is treated. And while it may not be my first preference, the reason for the abovesaid acquisitions, besides my curiosity, was the tiny footprint of the SMSL DA9. It is nestled on top of a perfume drawer which could have never accommodated the PM6006. And the sound is very good, just that i prefer the PM6006 to it.

Whoa! Could you elaborate?
Let me text you..

I was also looking at the WXC50. I needed to integrate playback of Flac files, internet sources and from the mobile using bluetooth.
But seeing various mixed reviews of the Musicast interface I decided to go for an interim solution of a Raspbelly Ppi+Allo Dac hat. And I got myself a Denon PMA600NE amp with bluetooth and built in dac for connecting CD players.

The Allo Dac is really good in terms of sound quality, but the control interface is buggy and a bit of a hit and miss. It does read a 300GB HDD, but controlling it with an Android phone is dependant of the wifi signal and other variables that I haven't really understood. And getting the RPi to connect to a remote music directory on my windows computer does not work. Even though both are on the same wifi network.
In some reviews of the Musicast app I find elements that are similar to the code underlying the RPi+Allo control softwares. So I would think similar issues could crop up with the WXC.

I have more or less decided to get a good USB DAC, hook it up to a cheap laptop thru USB and use the Denon for amplification duties.
Have a Denon PMA600NE too. Using since last 1 year with Elac Debut B 5.2 Stand mounted Speakers. Added a Sonos Connect for streaming Music. Sounds good.

Checking back with those still using the wxc 50 since this thread began. Any long term ownership reviews pls? Or if anyone upgraded - what did they move to? I'm looking for a dac with good built in preamp and remote going directly into my poweramp.

Checking back with those still using the wxc 50 since this thread began. Any long term ownership reviews pls? Or if anyone upgraded - what did they move to? I'm looking for a dac with good built in preamp and remote going directly into my poweramp.
Checkout the Paradigm PW Link. It has room correction as well.

Checkout the Paradigm PW Link. It has room correction as well.
Thanks man, dirac looks promising but not having a remote is a deal breaker as I'm looking to keep a simple chain of dac+pre direct to pa. It's funny how outside of smsl/topping there seems to be a dearth of options at reasonable prices despite the market being flooded with dacs.

Thanks man, dirac looks promising but not having a remote is a deal breaker as I'm looking to keep a simple chain of dac+pre direct to pa. It's funny how outside of smsl/topping there seems to be a dearth of options at reasonable prices despite the market being flooded with dacs.
Then why not the grand daddy of all in ones - the Bluesound Node 2i?

(Edit: you can purchase a remote separately for it and in case you connect your TV, it can be controlled through the TV remote through Hdmi CEC)

Last edited:

I just got myself a WXC50 to use as a streamer/DAC to feed my Schiit Lyr2, which sounds near with my Audeze LCD2s. It sounds good enough to me - certainly, i dont think i am missing anything, nor do i feel a need to go chasing minute differences which may or may not exist. Since headphones tend to be a little more resolving than speakers, i suspect you should be ok using it to drive a bigger amp for loudspeakers.

As an aside: MusicCast didnt work all that well when connecting directly to my NAS via DLNA/uPnP or whatever the default protocol is. I could see the albums but no album art. I installed Minimserver on my NAS, amd that has sorted it out.

Then why not the grand daddy of all in ones - the Bluesound Node 2i?

(Edit: you can purchase a remote separately for it and in case you connect your TV, it can be controlled through the TV remote through Hdmi CEC)
Yes, tempted but not sure of price:performance especially on the dac section given internet based subjective views & asr trashing the dac section. Spending so much on just a transport makes no sense to me.

I just got myself a WXC50 to use as a streamer/DAC to feed my Schiit Lyr2, which sounds near with my Audeze LCD2s. It sounds good enough to me - certainly, i dont think i am missing anything, nor do i feel a need to go chasing minute differences which may or may not exist. Since headphones tend to be a little more resolving than speakers, i suspect you should be ok using it to drive a bigger amp for loudspeakers.

As an aside: MusicCast didnt work all that well when connecting directly to my NAS via DLNA/uPnP or whatever the default protocol is. I could see the albums but no album art. I installed Minimserver on my NAS, amd that has sorted it out.
Thanks, I'm guessing in your use case volume control is thru the Lyr2? I'm more interested in how this unit performs as preamp+dac as it'll go direct to my poweramp. Interestingly, seems like the dac resamples everything to 48khz..?

Thanks, I'm guessing in your use case volume control is thru the Lyr2? I'm more interested in how this unit performs as preamp+dac as it'll go direct to my poweramp. Interestingly, seems like the dac resamples everything to 48khz..?

Yes, i use the fixed line out, which, IIRC, should be 2V (i seem to recall reading that somewhere). If so, you are most likely using the preamp as an attenuator anyway.

And this 48kHZ resampling (of analog inputs, presumably) - dont have any, so cant comment on it but i do wonder about the effect of repeated A/D and D/A conversions on sound quality.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back