Yamaha WXC-50

mayukh80

Hello,

I need user inputs on Yamaha WXC-50. The specs sounds better than Raspberry Pi.

But at the end... I rely on the member of this forum to share their honest & ocean of knowledge

Reason for choice.. I am already having an inventory of 550 + CD's and a few SACD. My current CDP is dead and before getting a new one I need a bit of buffer period coz the incoming dough aint enough to pick one from the shelf straight away. I will always be brutally honest on this ....
So by the time the money accumulates.. I need to feed my mind with music and planning to get a streamer within 35K range

@mayukh80 I dont have WXC-50 but WXA-50 (pretty much same except its class D integrated amp with out digitaoutput). Regret that i have not bought wxc-50 instead. WCX-50 for the price (its available as low as 23k) its great VFM. Got all integrations (spotify. tidal etc) and airplay compatible. Great build and easy to use musicast app. DAC implementation is good as well though

Hello! Just received my WXC 50 yesterday. I was using CCA till now and I would say the difference in AQ is phenomenal with WXC 50. I’m using it with my HK stereo amp. It has shown improvement in each frequency. Lows are much deeper and pronounced. Mids are separate and clean. Highs are crystal and articulate. I’ve tested it side by side with CCA using optical out with Spotify, Gaana and prime. Compared the sound output with my Denon 1400 avr for airplay with Apple Music. WXC 50 wins all the way. Good build quality. myriad connectivity options. It’s the apt at this price point.

Last edited:
What is the maximum capacity of ext HDD that can be used with wxc50?
The yamaha wxc50 manual states that it does not support ext HDDs and only supports USB flash drives. i.e. music files stored on pendrive. Can anyone confirm this?

I m sure it can connects up to 2tb storage media but file system should by FAT32

I'm copying what I see in the manual..

USB devices
• USB mass storage class devices (e.g., flash memory or portable audio players)
using FAT16 or FAT32 format
– Do not connect USB chargers, USB hubs, or other devices that are not USB mass
storage class devices. Do not connect PCs, card readers, or external hard disk
drives.
– USB devices with encryption cannot be used.
– Some features may not be compatible, depending on the model or manufacturer
of the USB storage device.

I'm copying what I see in the manual..

USB devices
• USB mass storage class devices (e.g., flash memory or portable audio players)
using FAT16 or FAT32 format
– Do not connect USB chargers, USB hubs, or other devices that are not USB mass
storage class devices. Do not connect PCs, card readers, or external hard disk
drives.
– USB devices with encryption cannot be used.
– Some features may not be compatible, depending on the model or manufacturer
of the USB storage device.

I have Yamaha amp with musiccast, I use 1tb hdd all fat32 and it runs smoothly. Just try it and give it a shot.
I m sure it works

Bro I have TSR-7810 and wxc50 use same musiccast technology. Just try else your wish.

hmmm strange I wonder why the wxc-50 manual advises against connecting external hard disk drives when you have experienced otherwise with a yamaha av receiver which also uses MusicCast. good to know that 1tb hdd may work with the wxc-50 :D

hmmm strange I wonder why the wxc-50 manual advises against connecting external hard disk drives when you have experienced otherwise with a yamaha av receiver which also uses MusicCast. good to know that 1tb hdd may work with the wxc-50 :D
Ya try it bro, I am sure it works and post reviews.

Hi, can I ask where you bought it from? Am looking for one and not getting too many options under 27k.

Hello! Just received my WXC 50 yesterday. I was using CCA till now and I would say the difference in AQ is phenomenal with WXC 50. I’m using it with my HK stereo amp. It has shown improvement in each frequency. Lows are much deeper and pronounced. Mids are separate and clean. Highs are crystal and articulate. I’ve tested it side by side with CCA using optical out with Spotify, Gaana and prime. Compared the sound output with my Denon 1400 avr for airplay with Apple Music. WXC 50 wins all the way. Good build quality. myriad connectivity options. It’s the apt at this price point.

I was also looking at the WXC50. I needed to integrate playback of Flac files, internet sources and from the mobile using bluetooth.
But seeing various mixed reviews of the Musicast interface I decided to go for an interim solution of a Raspbelly Ppi+Allo Dac hat. And I got myself a Denon PMA600NE amp with bluetooth and built in dac for connecting CD players.

The Allo Dac is really good in terms of sound quality, but the control interface is buggy and a bit of a hit and miss. It does read a 300GB HDD, but controlling it with an Android phone is dependant of the wifi signal and other variables that I haven't really understood. And getting the RPi to connect to a remote music directory on my windows computer does not work. Even though both are on the same wifi network.
In some reviews of the Musicast app I find elements that are similar to the code underlying the RPi+Allo control softwares. So I would think similar issues could crop up with the WXC.

I have more or less decided to get a good USB DAC, hook it up to a cheap laptop thru USB and use the Denon for amplification duties.

I have more or less decided to get a good USB DAC, hook it up to a cheap laptop thru USB and use the Denon for amplification duties.

Thats not too shabby an idea Shyam. The convenience and flexibility of it can't be beat. I have deployed a very similar config.

@mayukh80 I dont have WXC-50 but WXA-50 (pretty much same except its class D integrated amp with out digitaoutput). Regret that i have not bought wxc-50 instead. WCX-50 for the price (its available as low as 23k) its great VFM. Got all integrations (spotify. tidal etc) and airplay compatible. Great build and easy to use musicast app. DAC implementation is good as well though
Hi Murali, whats the quality of amplification like on the WXA50 when compared to similarly priced amps that you've heard?

I recently bought a WXC- 50 and I am pretty happy with the quality (Currently only using Spotify for streaming, but I will probably start using it for DSD files in the near future too). Only two gripes with the streamer is that it doesn't have a Coaxial IN so I can't connect my CD player to the coaxial and use the WXC-50 dac and it doesnt support Tidal High res streaming.

I have been using a WXC-50 for more than a year now. Am using a USB Drive with FLAC & DSD Files. It works perfectly. Yamaha states that USB HDDs should not be used. I don't think HDDs will work, simply because it needs a much higher current compared to a USB Pen Drive. And yes, it may work with a Musicast Amplifier but it will not work with WXC-50.

Sound quality is excellent with superb detailing and beautiful soundstage. DAC too is really good and punches much above its price point.

Few of my friends purchased WXC-50 after hearing it in my setup.

I would say, go for it.

I was also looking at the WXC50. I needed to integrate playback of Flac files, internet sources and from the mobile using bluetooth.
But seeing various mixed reviews of the Musicast interface I decided to go for an interim solution of a Raspbelly Ppi+Allo Dac hat. And I got myself a Denon PMA600NE amp with bluetooth and built in dac for connecting CD players.

The Allo Dac is really good in terms of sound quality, but the control interface is buggy and a bit of a hit and miss. It does read a 300GB HDD, but controlling it with an Android phone is dependant of the wifi signal and other variables that I haven't really understood. And getting the RPi to connect to a remote music directory on my windows computer does not work. Even though both are on the same wifi network.
In some reviews of the Musicast app I find elements that are similar to the code underlying the RPi+Allo control softwares. So I would think similar issues could crop up with the WXC.

Have you considered the Denon DRA 800H? I read in one of the threads here that it accepts an external HDD for music.

I really did not look at the Denon DRA 800H. It was out of my budget. Same was the case with the Yamaha R-N803. Personally I feel a combo of WXC-50 and a power amp or just a R-N803 will be ideal. But first let me splurge on my under order speakers.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back